Waterproof Pants

gusmurphy

We geocache here in the heart of the Pacific Northwest, and that means we are often walking through wet ferns 3 feet tall. It doesn't take long before jeans are soaked, then longjohns get wet, and you just have cold, wet legs.

My husband and I decided we could stay in the woods longer if we had waterproof pants.

I am wondering if anyone has reccomendations. I am thinking I could spend $100+ for Goretex, or find a suitable alternative at a military surplus store. Rubber raingear type pants aren't appealing- I think the blackberry vines would make short work of them.

I find that GoreTex gaiters are a great alternative to full Gore-Tex pants. They're less bulky, so they restrict my movement less (and I don't overheat in them on those occasional warm days we get here in Washington). They keep my dry up to my knees, and as an added bonus they keep burrs/dirt/etc. from getting into my shoes and hiking boots. I got mine at REI and have been quite happy with them.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by GeekGirl

In my experience bird hunting and caching, I really like Filson's Tin Chaps - They are waxed Canvas and fold up nice. As a bonus, I can wear them over shorts in the summer and pants in the winter: They are real strong and last a long time. Every couple years they do need to be re-waxed, but that's an easy chore. I love gore-tex, but for the thick stuff, I wouldn't jeopardize a pair of expensive shell pants.

but I recently bought a pair of nylon Stearns rain pants at Wally World for something like $15.

I saw those at Wally's- how are they working out for you?

I really haven't worn them more than maybe once. I took them along on a cache hunt over the weekend, but didn't need them. They are baggy enough that you can wear them over jeans if you want. My girlfriend bought something cheaper, and they fit like crap. She was wearing the matching rain jacket while we were kayaking last fall in the rain. She put the hood up, and the front of it came clear down to her chin! It was a hoot. There's a limit to what I'd consider a bargain.

i bought some cheapy columbia waterproof, breathable, packable raint pants. i don't think i spent more than $30 on them and they've been great keeping my jeans dry in the snow.

you could check out cabela's rainwear section for a cheaper non-gore-tex pair. they even have a gore-tex german military surplus pant for sale too.

I used to live there, so I know what you're talking about. 3 feet tall might be understating it not to mention the nettles:lol:. I'm using columbia myself. They're pretty sturdy and very, very lightweight. I've had the same pair for two years now and have now bought a pair with zip-off legs that are pretty nice, too. I also keep a pair of heavier gators now that I'm on the east side. :)

REI makes breathable rain pants that are very light weight and zip from hip to ankle. This is very helpful in the spring and fall when you want to wear shorts, but can see those black cumulus clouds in the distance. Go ahead and wear shorts under them and use the zippers to create as much or little ventilation as the changing conditions require. With a pair of lightweight poly-pros under them, I remain quite cozy in the snow. I've spent a lot of time on beaches (sand, barnacles, shell shards) and also done some heavy gardening in mine and they have held up well. I bought my current pair 3 years ago for $40 on the outlet site. They also come in petites, which is a big bonus for shorties who don't sew. Nothing worse than wading thigh-deep through the salal in blue jeans around here. Puts a quick end to your adventure.

After further research (thanks for all the great links), I learned the answer lies in my closet. I have a pair of Helly Hansen pants that zip into shorts, but their waterproof quality is questionable. I looked at the HH website, it seems I just need to re-apply a waterproof finish. So, yay, that is solved- for me at least.

:) this is my 10th post, I think I lose my tadpole tail now!

I don't have too many problems with wet pants out here in sagebrush country, but I do have some Starter Dri-Star pants that I got at Wal-Mart for ~$15, and the jackets were about the same price. I wore the jacket during a snow storm a few weeks ago, and though the snow built up on my shoulders and melted, none of it soaked through--it just ran off the back. They seem to repel water just fine, and work well as a windbreaker.

I have Gore-Tex waterproof pants but find myself rarely wearing them. Under most conditions I wear either synthetic shorts with waterproof gaiters or synthetic hiking pants. Synthetic materials like nylon dry out very quickly, unlike cotton. If the rain stops I find that my body heat dries out the pants in a very short time.

I find that if I'm really exerting myself while wearing the rain pants, I wind up getting wetter inside from sweat that I would had I not been wearing the darn things at all. This happens even with Gore Tex.

Your chief problem is that you are wearing jeans and (I'm assuming) cotton long johns. Cotton is a terrible material for the outdoors, unless the weather is dry and hot. It will absorb water and take a long time to dry. It also loses its insulating properties when wet. Instead, consider wearing polypro underwear and nylon hiking pants. The new nylon hiking pants are as comfortable if not more so than jeans.

After further research (thanks for all the great links), I learned the answer lies in my closet. I have a pair of Helly Hansen pants that zip into shorts, but their waterproof quality is questionable. I looked at the HH website, it seems I just need to re-apply a waterproof finish. So, yay, that is solved- for me at least.

rolleyes.gif this is my 10th post, I think I lose my tadpole tail now!

After reading the rest of this thread, this is your answer. You can treat them with a waterproof finish but they will never be fully waterproof. They will resist splashes, but not extended contact with wet bushes. But the key is that they will dry out very quickly as soon as the rain stops.

Edited by briansnat

A point to consider: DON'T wear cotton in cold wet conditions (i.e.. jeans). It's insulation value drops to .17 (of dry) when wet. Add windchill and you have very, very cold clothes.

I wear convertible nylon pants (absorb little water, dry fast, block wind), and only in the really extreme wet condition do I add rain pants (yes, I live in the wet half of WA too). Full side zip pants are the easiest to deal with (great when you're climbing in crampons - but that's another sport) as they can go on over anything and vent well (top or bottom).

The adage of "cotton kills" is very appropriate. Wet jeans suck the heat off of you and you might be better of naked.

There seem to be three options mentioned

1. Waterproof (coated)rainpants. Good for heavy rain but low activity. Anything you sweat stays inside and can be just as wet.

2. Waterproof/breathable ie Goretex or any number of imitators(personally I like the columbia version)- good for High activity skiing levels in wet and cold conditions(snow/rain/wet plants). More expensive but can be found on very durable fabrics.

3. Quick-dry nylon pants- not waterproof but do not retain water like cotton. Good for wet activities in warmer environments. Like canoeing, hiking. I have many pairs of both convertable and non.

4. Waxed cotton or other old time fabrics like wool, leather etc. All have their uses but shortfalls as well. Waxed canvas tough as nails but almost as heavy. Good for the nostalgic look.

I heard a quote "there is no bad weather, only bad clothes"

Good luck on your choice. Let your need dictate.

I'm a girl, silly. Do you think a man would ask geocaching fashion advice?  (thinking back to the kilt thread).....nevermind.......

sorry about the link to the men's raingear instead of women's... the assumptions we make. :( glad you had a solution in your closet though!

i think it was the "gus" part of your name though... :mad::(

:mad: this is my 10th post, I think I lose my tadpole tail now!

You might want to test them, Put them on and have someone you trust spray them with a garden hose. Helly does make waterproof pants. I did a search at work for Gortex pants today, I did not find any for less than $250.00

Gore Tex is a trade-marked name for a type of waterproof laminated fabrics. Other manufacturers make high-quality laminated waterproof materials.

For instance, NRS makes some 'Wave Tex' river running waterproof pants that are fully waterproof and breathable. They sell for about $60 at river outfitter shops. Mine are incredible. When I take them off wet I can throw them in the back seat of the car in a damp wad. Since the fabric breathes so well they dry themselves in an hour or two. And they have neoprene cuffs and taped seams so they are incredibly dry.

NRS makes a long-sleeve top from the same material that I wear trail running. My buds were skeptical the first time they saw me wearing a paddling jacket til the clouds let go. They were miserable, I was dry and comfy. Now they are buying NRS dry gear.

- T of TandS

PVC or neoprene coated bibs like fishermen wear do great with blackberry bushes if you buy the heavy ones. GI Joes or Costco will have them for about $40. Here in the NorthWet I often just go with nylon pants and count on getting wet to the waist. Depending on what you wear, water comes in from the rain and shrubbery, or sweat can't escape. :mad: On the Gortex side, My last set of bibs was from MEC, about $200, and I just got a new pair from Cloudveil. I'll report back in two years how they did. :(

Ditch the jeans. :(

I wear Karhartts double knee jeans and also have the overall suit. They keep me dry. The only problem is when I ride my scooter the air goes up the legs. So I either wear long underwear pants or gaters or both. They have the advantage of making you look like a working man and belong in the woods. They also protect you from the nettles and blackberry vines.

Dick, W7WT