Geocaching While Traveling

Team Maple Leaf

For some reason, I can't seem to use the forum search tool so I'm not sure if this topic has been covered recently.

If you're planning on traveling and would like to geocache along the way or in another country, how do you serch for and download those waypoints? When I'm searching for geocaches in my area, I can easily search for the distance surrounding a zipcode. I don't know the zipcodes between here and wherever.

Is there an user-friendly way to do this?

Thanks,

Danielle

Well there are a couple of ways,

You can look up the zip codes along the route, not the bast way to go.

If you have mapping software that will give you coordiates you can do your search based on Lat Lon.

With the above you ca create a arc route in GSAK and just load the caches say within 1 mile of your route.

Yoy could post your request in the forums that cover the area you are traveling through, the locals will be able to tell you what is in the area.

If you have mapping software that will give you coordiates you can do your search based on Lat Lon.

With the above you ca create a arc route in GSAK and just load the caches say within 1 mile of your route.

Mapsource came with my Garmin maps60...I haven't played with it much because it didn't feel overly user-friendly. Could I use that for creating a route?

Geocaching can be complicated enough....I'd like this part to be somewhat easy :)

Thanks,

Danielle

TML:

What I have found convenient is to download the Google Earth interface and view cache's in the areas where I'll be staying in my travels. Once I find the ones I want to puruse, I focus on those. Since you are a premium member you can also run a pocket query adn download it through softwar like GSAK to your GPS.

That way you'll have all the geocaches at your fingertips.

Good Luck.

I use a laptop with Delorme mapping, GSAK, & an external GPS-USB port antenna & it's software. I run pocket queries for the area I'm heading for & load them into the GSAK program. Then I export the file to the Delorme map program. All the caches show up on my laptop & I watch for the ones that are close as I travel. If I find one I want to do, I load it from the GSAK on my laptop to my GPSr. You can even narrow down the caches by using the filters in the GSAK program &/or the filters in the mapping program.

Google Earth with the Geocaching KML file download is the way to go. I just planned a trip from Texas to the Grand Canyon, Tucson and back. I was able to make the directions query in GE, zoomed in on the route, and as I flew the route, the Cache icons would appear. I cut the time searching for caches by at least 75%. It does take some of the suspense out. Give it a try and see how it goes.