Roadside America Locations

But personally, I think the types of places listed on the RA site are too scattered and random to all be grouped into a single Waymarking category.

I agree, but I do think there should be some opportunities to offer a challenge to find items in a book, or a TV show, or a play. There should be categories that each one of these fit into but it would be neat to gather the coordinates of locations from the web site.

For example, the wikipedia category concept is to list anything in the wikipedia and have the URL for that article. I can see how this would be a similar concept.

For example, the wikipedia category concept is to list anything in the wikipedia and have the URL for that article. I can see how this would be a similar concept.

I've seen the Wikipedia category, and this one is similar. In fact, it was the Wiki that inspired the idea of the Roadside America Category.

The cool thing about the Wikipedia category is that because Wikipedia is filled with lots and lots of non-findable listings, you've got to do some work just to isolate a thing which can be waymarked before you can waymark it. You can also find a thing in the real world, and then later go check to see if it is already Wiki'd, or if you are really ambitious, add it yourself, then waymark it.

So, what is being suggested here is that rather than just having a category for anything listed on the Roadside America site, there should be a series of categories, like:

Roadside America: Seen In The Movies

And then you could waymark the giant lumberjack that appeared in "Fargo". Or the giant donut which appeared in "Mars Attacks!".

Much better. :lol: