Plucker Vs Cachemate

Ca_Ghost

...Cachemate is so easy and painless to use that I update my Palm every few days. Its well worth the few bucks it costs.

Ditto...

Only I never used the other...everyone here suggested (the majority did I should say) Cachemate, and I have used it without a hitch...It is easy for me to use, the techno-challenged blonde... :(

The chief problem I found with cachemate is the time it takes to change the current location so I could see the nearest caches. That's probably a factor of the size of files I was working with, but its ability to handle bigger files is why I moved from plucker in the first place.

Then my palm died and I replaced it with a pocket pc. Now I have some of the benefits of both programs with gpxsonar.

The chief problem I found with cachemate is the time it takes to change the current location so I could see the nearest caches. That's probably a factor of the size of files I was working with, but its ability to handle bigger files is why I moved from plucker in the first place.

Then my palm died and I replaced it with a pocket pc. Now I have some of the benefits of both programs with gpxsonar.

usually if I want to see which cache is closest I just set my GPS to view the nearest cache.

And I have only used CacheMate for my Zire72. It takes me a while to get from dowmloading the GPX file into GSAK and then into the PDA but that is only because I haven't forked over the money to register GSAK. :lol:

I posted a similiar topic just a minute ago. I am not sure if you need all thses programs. I mean, I new to this, but I have just dn loaded GSAK, in order to fiew and upload the .loc files to my Palm Zire. Low and behold, GSAK only generates a HTML page. Umm, coulnt we just cope the cords from teh cache we paln to hunt and paste them to the memo prorgram on the palm, and the cut and paste to our gps utility on our palms??? I use Cetus GPS. Or am i missing something???

Thanks,

Jimbo

:lol:

I posted a similiar topic just a minute ago. I am not sure if you need all thses programs. I mean, I new to this, but I have just dn loaded GSAK, in order to fiew and upload the .loc files to my Palm Zire. Low and behold, GSAK only generates a HTML page. Umm, coulnt we just cope the cords from teh cache we paln to hunt and paste them to the memo prorgram on the palm, and the cut and paste to our gps utility on our palms??? I use Cetus GPS. Or am i missing something???

Thanks,

Jimbo

:lol:

No, you've got it covered. ;)

I looked at Cachemate and then I looked at Spinner/Plucker. I chose Spinner/Plucker. I get the actual cache page on my Palm including the last 5 logs. One tap and I can decrypt the hint if I like. I can pick any cache and tap the Nearby Caches link and it pops up the list. There are many reasons why I like the results with Plucker. Check out both programs and decide for yourself.

After looking at Cachemate I much prefer the result I get with the Spinner/Plucker combination and I don't find it to be much of a hassle to do. Your mileage may vary but, for me, Spinner/Plucker is great.

I looked at Cachemate and then I looked at Spinner/Plucker. I chose Spinner/Plucker. I get the actual cache page on my Palm including the last 5 logs. One tap and I can decrypt the hint if I like. I can pick any cache and tap the Nearby Caches link and it pops up the list. There are many reasons why I like the results with Plucker. Check out both programs and decide for yourself.

After looking at Cachemate I much prefer the result I get with the Spinner/Plucker combination and I don't find it to be much of a hassle to do. Your mileage may vary but, for me, Spinner/Plucker is great.

I am happy with plucker and spinner too. It indexes the cache pages so many different ways and automatically shows you the nearby caches. I don't think I will register cachemate.

I have a friend who is not very computer and I will recommend that she uses cachemate. But for people that are computer I think spinner and plucker are the way to go.

Don't overlook "gpx2htm". I use it with Plucker and grab 500 at time.

Once you have plucker working you never have to change anything.

I redo the 500 download always the night before I go caching. Takes about ten minutes. Caches and logs on the palm and waypoints in the gpsr. And all up to date.

And its free. Besides.. I think Cachemate is complicated.

wingryder

Don't overlook "gpx2htm". I use it with Plucker and grab 500 at time.

Once you have plucker working you never have to change anything.

I redo the 500 download always the night before I go caching. Takes about ten minutes. Caches and logs on the palm and waypoints in the gpsr. And all up to date.

And its free. Besides.. I think Cachemate is complicated.

wingryder

Thanks for the tip, looks to be a good program and best of all free.

I have both Cachemate and Plucker loaded to my pda. I much prefer to use Plucker. That being said, the process of getting caches to the pda is much quicker in Cachemate.

That is not to say that Plucker is difficult. It just requires additional processing of the data on your PC before you can sync it. This takes a few minutes.

I also use Cache Log Book to keep a record of my cache hunts. I really like this program.

I have both Cachemate and Plucker loaded to my pda. I much prefer to use Plucker. That being said, the process of getting caches to the pda is much quicker in Cachemate.

I agree 100% with this. It does take longer but I much perfer the feel of Plucker, I find it much easier to use once on the palm. I love the closest caches on each page as well as everything being on one page vs searching around for different things. (May need to look at it again, it's been a while since I used cachemate).