Quilt Cache

gusmurphy

I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with a good first cache to hide. All the cool places my family goes have caches in them already, so rather than put a slapdash cache (did i just coin a phrase?) in some nondescript location, I thought the next bext thing would be to make the cache itself unique.

I was thinking of a quilt theme cache, where finders could trade swag like usual, but would also be asked to leave a quilt square, not to be traded. And when I say "quilt square", I mean anything that can be pieced into a quilt. Like the front of a favorite t-shirt, your avatar painted on fabric... whatever.

After a certain number accumulated in the cache, I would make them into a quilt. I would probably keep the first one :) , but subsequent quilts could be FTF prizes in other caches.

What do you think? Has this been done before?

Back in the day, Quilting was an activity oft-discussed on these boards.

There was a project whereby a bunch of geocachers from all over created and sent in squares to someone (I can't remember who or where) who put it all together to present to Jeremy.

Shortly thereafter, the quilters faded away.

However, I'm not aware of any caches which have existed like you propose (that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.)

I wish the search function worked, but more importantly, I wish the old-old forums were still available. :)

Jamie

If you decide to do this I have a couple of suggestions. First you will want a large container since I know from looking at my wifes squares they can take up a lot of room. You might want to include zip lock bags in your cache so the squares can be kept clean, and finally you will want a water tight container. I would suggest a 50 cal ammo can would best fit your needs.

Back in the day, Quilting was an activity oft-discussed on these boards.

There was a project whereby a bunch of geocachers from all over created and sent in squares to someone (I can't remember who or where) who put it all together to present to Jeremy.

Shortly thereafter, the quilters faded away.

However, I'm not aware of any caches which have existed like you propose (that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.)

I wish the search function worked, but more importantly, I wish the old-old forums were still available.  :)

Jamie

Here are some old threads about that quilting project, which was put together by DxChallenged (who used to go by the name "HIltonfamily"?):

the idea is born: Quilting bee/cache (Oct 21 2001)

cachers sending in blocks: Status of geocaching quilt...let me know (Dec 8 2001)

quilt being assembled: How's the geoquilt comming? (Jan 1 2002)

the finishing touches: The geoquilt is! (Feb 9 2002)

traveling toward its destination: Geoquilt (Mar 7 2002)

the presentation: The Geoquilt has been presented to Jeremy! (Mar 20 2002)

more: Geoquiltprojects and one for you (Apr 29 200)

round 2: Geoquilt 2...interest (Jun 4 2002)

Some of the posts still have viewable pictures, although some of them have broken links.