Question About Dnf

SPKr

If I go looking for a cache and DNF it, then I go back a day or two ( or whenever) later and find it, should I log it again as found after I have logged a DNF? I saw a thread the other day where someone said that you should only log a cache one time. Should I just update my DNF with a note saying I finally found it, or log a find? Thanks,

Scott

It is true that you should only log a find one time.... you can log DNFs for each visit you were unsuccessful at finding the cache. Once found, you can then log a find and receive the smiley. I believe that they should be separate logs and not a DNF changed to a Found. After that, if you do re-visit the cache, you must log it using a note and not a find. I hope I was clear enough for you. BTW, there are also times when the cache owner will allow multiple finds.... usually if the final cache location was changed.

I've done that several times, in fact on two caches my find log was right after my DNF because I went back and found it the next day.

I have my own kind of concern I'll ask here. I do think proper form is to leave the DNF alone and simply add the smilie log, but I'm a little concerned that it clutters up the log section too much. Do others feel that way?

Leave the DNF - over time you may well be interested in how many you've got. It's the record. Also, though you may not care about this, if you edit a DNF to a find, the cache owner gets no email, and may never notice. I've had this happen on caches of mine. I've actually gone out of my way to check them after a DNF, only to notice that the DNF had been changed to a find!

I have my own kind of concern I'll ask here. I do think proper form is to leave the DNF alone and simply add the smilie log, but I'm a little concerned that it clutters up the log section too much. Do others feel that way?

No, it doesn't clutter up the logs/page. The DNF is part of the history of the cache and part of the cacher's history. Often times, they make good reading too. :mad:

Leave the DNFs, log the find.

I have my own kind of concern I'll ask here.  I do think proper form is to leave the DNF alone and simply add the smilie log, but I'm a little concerned that it clutters up the log section too much.  Do others feel that way?

No, it doesn't clutter up the logs/page. The DNF is part of the history of the cache and part of the cacher's history. Often times, they make good reading too. :mad:

Leave the DNFs, log the find.

I'm with NoLemon. Its simply a log type. It doesn't clutter the page any more than founded logs do. Not only that it provides crucial info to the owner and potential finders.

I saw a thread the other day where someone said that you should only log a cache one time. Should I just update my DNF with a note saying I finally found it, or log a find? Thanks,

I don't remember that thread but I assume the person was referring to logging only finds once. There are caches out there that have a half dozen DNF logs from me. I believe that each visit deserves its own log.

DNFs are useful to cache owners and I appreciate them. In one case it alerted me to the fact that there was a problem with coords in a very treed area that was throwing off GPS readings for folks and was able to fix it. Some times it tells me that the cache is as hard as I wanted it to be, and sometimes that its missing.

Always log DNFs.

JDandDD