Cobra Gps1000 Has The Sirf Technology!

I was powering up for a morning cache hunt when I noticed on the startup screen the SiRF trademark icon on the bottom right of the screen. No wonder it outperforms my new map60 at finding and holding satt lock! No mention of it on the Specification page of the user manual other than under the Trademark Acknowledgements- Very Interesting!

Apparently, this is true.  Here is the manual.  However, is it using SiRF III?  That is what Garmin is using in the new x-series.

It's probably not using the SiRF III, that is very very recent. My guess is SiRF II.

I've always noted in all these "bash Cobra" forums that it's really just the older 100 and 500 units that are so, so awful, the 1000 is actually pretty darn good and the 3000 (which is mostly just for the car) is borderline awesome.

Edited by hairymon

looking at cobra site, if you click the GPS 1000 DLX Specifications pdf, in the lower right it says SIRF powered.

spec sheet

also i notice this unit says it has a Compass & Altimeter. just wondering if you have one what you think of it? the reviews i have read are mixed.

one other thing i question is this......

"PC Interface With Rand McNally® StreetFinder® for Cobra and interface cable, user can exchange data and street level maps with powerful computer mapping programs and download points of interest to use in navigation or as map references."

to me this makes it sound like you can upload other map data, though i could be seeing this wrong.

cobra's site

Edited by hogrod
looking at cobra site, if you click the GPS 1000 DLX Specifications pdf, in the lower right it says SIRF powered.

spec sheet

also i notice this unit says it has a Compass & Altimeter. just wondering if you have one what you think of it? the reviews i have read are mixed.

one other thing i question is this......

"PC Interface With Rand McNally® StreetFinder® for Cobra and interface cable, user can exchange data and street level maps with powerful computer mapping programs and download points of interest to use in navigation or as map references."

to me this makes it sound like you can upload other map data, though i could be seeing this wrong.

cobra's site

No you can only upload Rand McNally Street Finder, that's one of the downsides to this unit. :)

-->My unit dosn't have the altimeter/compass so I can't tell you about that. BUT after using it side by side with the map60 for quite a few cache finds--If I had to pick one over the other I would take the Cobra. I'd go back to manualy entering each waypoint- The Cobra is actually easier/faster to enter lat/long waypoints than the Garmin or my Explorist 200

I actually like cache hunting with 2 (sometimes 3) GPSr's I don't want to DNF for lack of a good GPS reciever :mad:

Edit- You can only upload the waypoints that come with the Street Finder maps- stuff like gas stations, resturants, business of all sorts, and addresses. You can make your own waypoint by clicking on the Map when you're zoomed in but it dosn't show precise Lat/Long!

Edited by sundogranch
Can someone explain the SIRF III hype? Why? It's good but it's far from a revolution. I read about some serious downsides as well (I think it was here on the forum but the search function is disabled).... :mad:

Check gpspassion.com for review of GPS technology and equipment.

I had noted how the 1000 was SiRF II vs. III, but after an experience with my boss' Tom Tom GO 300, I think SiRF II is pretty darn good too. I was getting 4 locked satellites in the middle of the 1st floor hallway of a 7 floor apartment building! And it took a very long overpass that was the length of a short tunnel to lose the lock that way.