Waypoint Type

Sinbad7Seas

Not a bad idea. I would use it on a few of my caches.

Assuming the scenic spot sees a fair bit of traffic from muggles, there are two ways of using a cache to show someone a scenic spot. In an urban environment, I will put a micro as close to the scenic spot as possible. No extra waypoint needed. Out in the woods, caches near a great view tend to be prone to going missing due to traffic in the immediate area. So, I will put the cache .1 miles further down the trail in an area that's not very scenic, but has cool hiding places. For that type of hide, I would use the suggested Additional Waypoint type.

And I've seen other nearby features not far from the featured cache like water falls and beaver damns. I don't know how you cover that but they are a nice bonus after you find the cache.

Perhaps instead of 'Scenic View' - 'Additional point of interest' might be a more generic for these.

Also, I don't know if its be suggested yet but perhaps a type of 'Trail Junction' or 'Route Waypoint' could be used to provide waypoints for a suggested route to the cache.

And I've seen other nearby features not far from the featured cache like water falls and beaver damns. I don't know how you cover that but they are a nice bonus after you find the cache.

Perhaps instead of 'Scenic View' - 'Additional point of interest' might be a more generic for these.

Also, I don't know if its be suggested yet but perhaps a type of 'Trail Junction' or 'Route Waypoint' could be used to provide waypoints for a suggested route to the cache.

I would second both suggestions:

* To have a "point of interest along the way"-type of waypoint

* To have an "intermediate waypoint along the route" (which is available already only for multi-caches).

Both types would be good extensions of this very useful feature.

I would like to request a new waypoint type to be added in the Waypoint Type dropdown list of "Scenic Spot". Some of my caches have scenic overlooks or other noteworthy spots which I give coordinates to and would be handy to include in the new waypoint list.

Thanks,

Sinbad7Seas

Actually, this seems like a job for Waymarking than something Geocaching.com should do, IMO.

As we integrate the two sites more you will be able to add waymarks as part of your total waypoint list. So I don't really want to go down the route of adding too many waypoint types for each cache listing, but i guess in the interim it doesn't hurt.

/on the fence

I like the OP's idea. I was out scouting a new cache location and thought "Oh I can use the new waypoints to point out this and that." They were nearby places that I thought would be interesting for a finder to visit. OTOH, I do agree that we don't want a huge number of types to choose in the drop down...