Garmin Gps 60csx

Ordered my 60CsX online Saturday evening from Lake Powell Marine Electronics then e-mailed Phil early Monday morning to add the Auto Navigator kit. The order arrived Tuesday (today) via DHL overnight. Great service and the unit is awesome!

PS - the shipping charge automatically added on their web order form was deleted from the final charges just like the ad said.

Edited by lstout
I've been following the 60csx topic for a while now and decided to order from lake powell since they were being praised alot. Ordered two 60csx's from lakepowell last friday and have not heard a peep from them yet tried to email and phone, nothing yet. I guess will see what happens. :)

Maybe you should take the attitude from Mr. Obnoxious with his previous vendor and threaten to sue them and maybe start a thread about how bad they suck.

Well, I am looking at buying my first gps and wanted something that I could use on my Motorcycle for Turn/Turn and also use for geocaching (which I have just recently gotten interested in)... Seems like the Cx/Csx would be great as a first device. After reading all there was on the Cx and the Csx, the only difference I can see if that the Csx has a compas and altimeter... Is that really worth the extra $$? How often do you need the altimeter?

Grimm-

Well, I am looking at buying my first gps and wanted something that I could use on my Motorcycle for Turn/Turn and also use for geocaching (which I have just recently gotten interested in)...

the Csx has a compas and altimeter... Is that really worth the extra $$? How often do you need the altimeter?

Grimm,

A few people like to use the compass or altimeter on occasion, but I think the general consensus is that if you don't need 'em, there's no reason to spring for the extra money.

The GPS will have a satellite calculated elevation, plus a pseudo-compass when you move the GPS (or you can just carry a real compass).

As for use on the motorcycle, I think the 60x is a good choice. I've been looking at upgrading the routing unit I use on my bike, and I've decided between the 60cx and the Garmin Quest II. I like the Quest II better for that purpose, but it's not as rugged as the 60. So for dual-use, the 60 is probably the better unit with which to go.

Jamie

Well, I am looking at buying my first gps and wanted something that I could use on my Motorcycle for Turn/Turn and also use for geocaching (which I have just recently gotten interested in)... Seems like the Cx/Csx would be great as a first device. After reading all there was on the Cx and the Csx, the only difference I can see if that the Csx has a compas and altimeter... Is that really worth the extra $$? How often do you need the altimeter?

Grimm-

That would be a great unit - my only reservation at this point would be that I heard it doesn't work with GSAK yet - I doubt that is permanent though. There is a motorcycle mount for the 60. Be tough to read on a bike for real-time couse correction but that's probably true of any gps for a motorcycle unless you get one that talks to you and use an earpiece.

As for use on the motorcycle, I think the 60x is a good choice. I've been looking at upgrading the routing unit I use on my bike, and I've decided between the 60cx and the Garmin Quest II. I like the Quest II better for that purpose, but it's not as rugged as the 60. So for dual-use, the 60 is probably the better unit with which to go.

Jamie

Good to know.. I have never used a gps before, and wanted something that would be durable enough for the bike... Will probably contact "Phil" about buying a Cx unit.

Grimm-

That would be a great unit - my only reservation at this point would be that I heard it doesn't work with GSAK yet - I doubt that is permanent though. There is a motorcycle mount for the 60. Be tough to read on a bike for real-time couse correction but that's probably true of any gps for a motorcycle unless you get one that talks to you and use an earpiece.

Ok, being a total newbie, I have no idea what GSAK is or what it would do for me.. Care to elaborate?... Have not seen the MC mount for this unit yet, but will look around to see who carries it.

As far as RT course correction, I would only use it occationally when going on trips and such... As long as it can keep me heading in the right direction, and potentially give me alternative routes if one is backed up, it will save me from having to stop often to look at maps. Also, sometimes on the bike, I just like to ride and get lost... will be nice to have a gadget that can get me back to major highways and such when I am ready to become unlost.

Grimm-

Ok, since I am new, and some of you do use the 60Cx for Turn/Turn, I have a couple of basic questions.

1. Can you program a destination to autoroute on-the-fly, or do you have to link the unit with a computer?

2. With the 64mb card that comes with it, how many maps can one load? Lets say I wanted to go from Long Island, NY to some destination in Atlanta, GA.. Enough space or do I need a bigger card?

3. Which map software would I need to get to do the turn/turn directions?

Thanks,

Grimm-

yes you can auto route while on the fly if you goto find and then click addresses you can type in an address and it will auto route for you. as for ny to atlanta not enough memory on the card you will need to get a bigger card. and you will need city navigator or city select for the auto route I suggest you goto garmin.com and read about both. City select will be discontinued soon however you will be able to upgrade with city nav even if you have city select so it realy doesnt matter.

Edited by mr. obnoxious
I ordered my 60Cx from http://www.boatersland.com and everything went very well.  Order on 1/20 and received 1/24 with ground shipping.  Better price than Lake Powell.

Used it to find my first cache today.

Thanks for the info on Boaters Island. I didn't hear of them before I ordered my 60CSx through Lake Powell. For those of us who havent ordered from anyone yet. I did a little apples to apples price comparison between these two companies. This is what I came up with.

Boaters Island: GPSMAP 60CSx for $412.99 after an $87 instant rebate, plus $13.98 for UPS Ground shipping. ($58.36 for next day air) for a total of $426.97

Lake Powell: GPSMAP 60CSx for $499 with free overnight shipping and a $70 gift card to your choice of online merchants (or they will credit $70 back to your credit card) for a total of $429

In conclusion: After standard shipping charges are added and rebates applied, Boaters Island is $2.03 cheaper than Lake Powell, but you will get your unit faster from Lake Powell. However, it looks like Boaters Island will ship internationally, Lake Powell does not.

If you need a car kit (ie City streets, mount,etc.) or a unit with Topo, it is pretty

hard to beat the "package" deals at http://www.gpsdiscount.com

Free shipping and these folks are fast, fast, FAST.

The only reason I tout them is because of the awesome service and good price's I recieved from them with my recent purchase of my 60 CSx

I got my unit from half way accross the country in less than 45 hrs. from ordering, and NO shipping charges.

So if you also need to purchase mapping software and a unit, check them out.

HD1

If you need a car kit (ie City streets, mount,etc.) or a unit with Topo, it is pretty

hard to beat the "package" deals at  http://www.gpsdiscount.com

Free shipping and these folks are fast, fast, FAST.

The only reason I tout them is because of the awesome service and good price's I recieved from them with my recent purchase of my 60 CSx

I got my unit from half way accross the country in less than 45 hrs. from ordering, and NO shipping charges.

So if you also need to purchase mapping software and a unit, check them out.

HD1

Ok, after doing some research from everyones suggestions here, I just ordered over at http://www.gpsdiscount.com. I got the 60Cx with the Auto Nav Kit and (2) handlebar mounts for $520 shipped... If I had wanted just the gps or they had had similar packages, I would have bought from Phil (Real nice, and answeres email real quick).

Grimm- :D

Lake Powell Rocks, but I think I am going to have to return my Garmin 60CSx if the next set of lithiums I purchase don't work. I purchased to different packs from one retailer one 2 pk and one 8 pk both would not work in my gps. This time I am going to purchase one more from another retailer, and hope for the best otherwise I am going to have to return for and exchange. It is the weirdest thing, because Alkalines and Rechargables work fine. When I put the lithiums in the welcome screen would come on, and before it got to the satelite page the screen would fizzle right out. I hope my final attempt works! :D