Which Palm To Buy?

Hey. I've been geocaching for a little while now. I've seen several topics on people wanting to go paperless, and am interested in the idea. I don't know much at all about palms or the programs that go along with them. I have already done a few pocket queries, so I understand how that works. I am mainly wanting to know what is the cheapest palm(b&w or color) that would work for paperless geocaching. Thanks for any help or suggestions on which palms are good for this.

wpwfs2003

Palm M500 - eBay special - 48$ with 3-day ground...

(and I got a game card! :) )

Cachemate - a breeze...GSAK making it all work with the GPS...even better! Pocket Queries... :D

I look so tech :bad: cool...stumbling over a tree branch while juggling the palm, GPS, camera and cell phone...

:D Good thing at least the kids inherited the grace...

I just went 'paperless' with my first ever PDA- A Palm Z22 I got for under $100. I've downladed about 80-100 .gpx Geocaching Waypoints to it so far. Along with those I also have a few games on it and it still has 19 of 24 MB's left. The screen is kinda hard to see in straight sunlight but still good enough to read the Cache Page info.

Why buy something old and used when for about $82 you can get a new Palm Z22? You'll still need to buy "CacheMate" for $8 and use GSAK. It is pretty easy for a non-computer geek to use.

In some ways an older Palm will work better as it will have a serial interface that allows you to connect it to your GPS to upload waypoints. The newer Palms only have USB connection so you'll not have that functionality.

A PalmIII is fine. Better if it has 8MB (Palm IIIxe). I'm sure there are others.

Edited by GeckoGeek

I use a Palm IIIe (3Com) which works fine, just not very much memory. I purchased a Palm IIIxe off ebay (NEW $66) which work great for a few weeks, now I'm having problems with it (Flashing Logo Crash). When it crashes I loose all my "Finds" along with the CacheMate program. So I would be careful about a "Good Buy" from large volume sellers on ebay or other sellers.

We use a Palm Tungsten E for geocaching. It is also quite useful on trips as it can take the SD card from our camera and display our pictures at a size we can really see some detail with. It also plays our MPG videos and is a great MP3 player.

My point is that your Palm may soon become a device that you use for much more than just geocaching ..... so purchase accordingly.

:D ImpalaBob

I use a Palm IIIe (3Com) which works fine, just not very much memory. I purchased a Palm IIIxe off ebay (NEW $66) which work great for a few weeks, now I'm having problems with it (Flashing Logo Crash). When it crashes I loose all my  "Finds" along with the CacheMate program. So I would be careful about a "Good Buy" from large volume sellers on ebay or other sellers.

Are other Palm III series units afflicted with the Flashing Logo Crash problem? I've found a few references to this online. I started out looking at the Z22, then I almost bought a refurb IIIx on Overstock, then I lost a few bids on IIIxe units (not the ones sold as new) on eBay. So many choices.

Edit to add another question: What are the memory requirements? Like how many caches can you fit per MB on the Palm? And how much space on the Palm does Cachemate take up? It sounds like 4MB is enough, and I read in another thread that somebody made do with an M100 with 2MB.

Edited by geognerd
Are other Palm III series units afflicted with the Flashing Logo Crash problem?

First I've heard of it.

Not sure how many caches per MB, but with more then 2MB, I think it's more likely you can download every cache in your travel area and then when you find yourself somewhere with some time on your hands you can go caching. You get out of the pre-planning "I'm going that way so I need to load what's in that area".