Paperless

Kealani

I have a TungstenE and love it!!

Get GSAK available at 'resources' page on GC.com

Get Cachemate available at same place

Set up some Pocket Queries

Download the file you get in your email from the PQ

Load it into a database in GSAK

From GSAK send points to your GPSr (from GPS menu)

Export database to Cachemate PDB file (from file menu)

Sync your palm

Voila, days and days of caching at your fingertips

Keep trak of logs easily

Do nearest caching searches on both.

So much fun.

I want to go right now! :D

Premium membership. Pocket Queries download. GSAK to process the PQ's. Cachemate to recieve them from GASK into the Palm unit.

Geocaching.com premium Pocket Queries - 30$.

GSAK to stay sane and sort them in wonderful ways - 20$.

Cachemate to read all the info (and then some) on Palm - 8$.

Ease of juggling the entertainment value - Priceless!

Quick question:

If one were to use a Pocket PC instead of a Palm, what software would you need then to use a premium membership with?

1) I've heard GPX Sonar is the way to go... is this true?

2) Does GPX need to be combined with GSAK to maintain my sanity? Is that a Palm only program? Does it work with GPX Sonar? Does GPX Sonar eliminate the need for GSAK?

3) Does GPX need to be combined with Cachemate too? Is that a Palm only program? Does it work with GPX Sonar? Does GPX Sonar eliminate the need for Cachemate?

Thanks in advance everyone :D

If you don't already have a PDA, I recommend getting a less-expensive monochrome Palm for Geocaching, like my Palm M500.

If you already have a Pocket PC, GPXSonar is one program you can use.

GSAK is the database you install on your PC. It is essential, IMHO :lol:, for slicing and dicing and filtering the many Geocaches you will eventually have in your database regardless of what type of PDA you have.

From GSAK you can Export in whatever format you need, whether it is for your mapping software, for Cachemate, for GPXSonar, whatever. thumbsup.gif

You caught me!

I only know what is working for me, but I based my decisions on the discussions in the forums... so anyone else here can jump in and answer the rest of your questions...

GSAK takes the .GPX files and will convert them to whatever format you need (within its support window) which includes GPX/LOC, Magellan Explorist/SD card, CSV/TXT, Cachemate PDB, OZIExplorer, Lowrance, Tom-Tom, and more...It is much easier than the Magellan Geo-manager...

Cachemate does other things too, but I haven't explored that too much yet...

Premium membership. Pocket Queries download. GSAK to process the PQ's. Cachemate to recieve them from GASK into the Palm unit.

Geocaching.com premium Pocket Queries - 30$.

GSAK to stay sane and sort them in wonderful ways - 20$.

Cachemate to read all the info (and then some) on Palm - 8$.

Ease of juggling the entertainment value - Priceless!

I also have a Tungeston E which works well (although battery life is a bit short).

$30 a year for a Premium membership

$20 one time fee for Gsak

$8 one time fee for cachemate

Best money you can spend to be paperless

I like Spinner and Plucker. I get the full web page just like it is on gc.com and it isn't the resource hog that mobipocket is. I love being able to see the web page on m palm - complete with the hint and the last 5 logs. A tap of the stylus and the hint is decrypted. Tap on Nearby Caches to get the list of the nearest caches to the one you just finished.

I know folks love Cachemate but I looked at it and I much prefer Spinner and Plucker. Plucker is free and I paid $13 to register Spinner - although it will work forever without registering it. I also registered GSAK even though it too will work forever without registration. Both programs are so very useful to me I felt I should support them.

GSAK, Spinner, and Plucker make me a happy cacher. I use them with an old Palm Vx (with a hard clamshell case) and it has been a very good match for what I need.

I'm cheap and I use a Palm TX and Plucker. It combined with downloading the .loc files pretty much allows me to cache for free. I downiload the .loc files to my iFinder using GPSBable and download the cache pages using Plucker and Sunrise. I end up with matching waypoints and cache page and skip the premium membership and any softwarethat I have to pay for that way. All the said, as soon as I have money available on my card, I will go premium to get PQs.