Caching At Night

ZackJones

Greetings,

I did a google search and found some disucssion on this topic but it was geared towards caches there were designed specifically to be found at night. You know the kind that use reflectors and all that stuff. What I'm looking for is advice on trying to find regular caches at night. I have a trip coming up soon and probably won't have as much time as I would like to cache during the day so I was going to try caching at night. Other than the obvious stuff such as having a good flashlight and backup, setting a waypoint for the car, and not searching in parks after they've closed for the evening what other advice can you night owls offer?

Have a small, medium and large flashlight (various styles) - the head lamp would be really nice (even though I don't use one). #1 make sure you can be where you are at when it is dark. #2 if seeking an urban cache, be very careful and be prepared to be challenged by LEO's. Caching at night is a great thrill just be careful, take a friend and a cell phone, have ID and let someone know where you are going. I work 2nd shift and many times I find myself needing a cache fix after work.

OBTW - just be prepared to spend more time searching, caches blend in the shadows really well. The crunching you will hear is not jason chasing after you, it's just a possum

Edited by bogleman

I cache at night a lot, and I've done it locally, and at other regions.

First, the obvious: be sure to have a flashlight handy. Stick to ones with reliable, easy-to-use switch. I often turn it off, and only turn it on during a search.

I've encountered law enforcement officers (LEOs) often, and have always had my GPSr in plain sight, and told them exactly what I was doing when asked. So far, they've accepted and left me alone. Keep in mind that this might not work for you, as some people just don't have good luck with police encounters at night no matter what.

This applies during the day, too, but if you have any doubts about the location (potential trespassing, suspicious area, badly lit, etc.), then don't go there, and move on to the next cache. You should be even more cautious at night.

If you are the planning type, read the descriptions and logs ahead of time and see if you can target caches with muggle problems during the day. Searching for stealth-yes.gif attribute might help.

Thanks for the link to the brochures, bad andy.

Zack Jones, you may want to bring a 6 D-Cell Maglite.

dcell6black7pu.jpg

Doubles as a light source and a weapon.

And a Boat Anchor Too! j/k :bad:

I am a smaller guy, so Ive had one of these for years. Great for use as desribed:)

Just remember to switch hands alot until you build the muscles to tote it around. :D

One thing that I do when night caching is only try the regular size cache....I have great eyes but it has already been mentioned how small caches blend in with the shadows.... finding the ammo boxes allow me to get in and out quickly more often. I have been night caching 4-5 times in suburban areas and have always been in and out quick enough that I have not had to answer questions from the police.

Good luck on your finds.

Trey

I love caching at night.

A really good thing you should have is an LED-powered headlamp. Not only will it keep your hands free, but you don't have to worry about the bulbs breaking, and the batteries will last a long time. You should also carry a good flashlight. As bright as you can afford to buy or carry comfortably. On top of that, have a backup flashlight, and some glowsticks wouldn't hurt either.

When you are out at night, make SURE to make waypoints often. Mark your car. Mark the point that you left the trail. After leaving the trail, mark every 10 minutes or so.

You need to plan for as many unforeseen possibilities as possible. What happens in the middle of nowhere when your GPS dies for no reason? Gadgets can go bad, and it happens all the time. There's no sun to get a bearing from, and it's cloudy so no stars either. Do you have a map, a compass and the ability to use them? Backups backups backups.

We have gotten probably 250 caches at night. We have done them as a family, and as a group of other cachers. As several have said, have something printed, that identifies what you are doing. If you have not gone paperless, the cache description page works great. 2nd, have a couple of flashlights. 3rd, before you get out of the car, look over the area really good. There are three primary things to worry about with night caches, Police/Security, Housing Challenged, and critters. Police/Security is typical for day caching as well, so it is just a matter of explaining what you are doing in an remote area, at night, with a flashlight .

During the day, you should be able to see signs for housing challenged. At night this in much more difficult. In addition to following your GPS around, be aware of your surroundings. The housing challenged may be just as startled as you, but they will hear you coming....For the critters, we live near the foothills. As we have young kids, we do not go on much more than a terrain 2 at night. Regarding the critters, our philosophy is we cant see them, but they can certainly see us.

If you can, map out your route before hand. This makes things easier. We also typically dont venture more than 300-400 feet from the car for the reasons stated above. Outside of this, have fun. Most of the caches with muggles during the day are much easier pickings at night! We have found all cache sizes from a button magnet to an ammo can. It usually just takes longer to find, as everything tends to blend in!

Edited by birdcachers05

Just remember that flashlights bouncing around in urban areas tend to attract attention, so you're better off using them as little as possible. And headlamps in urban areas are a bad idea, IMHO.... you can't flick them on and off fast enough. I like to outen the lights when I hear a car coming, less attention is better. Just make sure you follow the rules and stay out of cemeteries, parks, etc that don't allow access at night.

Urban night caching is one of my absolute favorite things to do, especially in the summer here in Colorado. The weather is cooler, there are less muggles about, and there's just something so 'uber-stealth' about it. That and creepy and a little scary at times, which makes it all the more fun.

We use LED headlamps and handheld flashlights (with an adjustable pivot neck for easier use) when we go out.

To echo whats already been said, definitely go with at least one other person although I personally feel much more comfortable with at least two friends along.

For the most part we did open-space type caches where there weren't really any rules about being in the area at night, or caches downtown where the area is open 24 hours a day.

To reinterate the point about the housing challanged, this is definitely a possiblity in urban areas at night. We had a surprise run-in with a poor fellow who was sleeping in a bush very close to the cache we were looking for downtown... that'll about put you off your wheaties a while when it happens. :D

We tried to avoid neighborhoods although I admit to pushing my luck on this once or twice when the cache was just out of the way enough that it seemed like it would probably be okay. You just want to avoid doing anything thats going to freak out the neighbors too badly.

If you haven't done this, get a few folks together and go for it! And of course, make sure to look for caches in your area designed to be found at night.

I have found that sometimes its easier to find a cache at night. The directed light reflects off the cache where you wouldn't notice during the day. It is also easier if you do this as a group since the more lights the better chance you will have. That being said we did one as a group last year that was intended to be a night cache, reflectors and all. The problem was that more than one person in our group had those multi million candle power gizmos that burned out the optic nerve. I had to wait until they got way ahead so i could actually see the reflectors. :D

We almost exclusively cache at night. Mostly because my friends (and i somtimes) are just too lazy to get up before noon after a long week of school. In any case, each team member has one flashlight (some have a handheld in addition to a headlamp), dress warmly, be stealthy (ie, don't use the lights when it's not necessary), and don't make any aggressive motions when the cops show up (not that it's happened to us...yet)

But carrying a Geocaching pamphlet of sorts isn't a bad idea, i'm going to have to start doing that. We haven't encountered the fuzz yet, but it's pretty much inevitable. Goodluck to you, fellow night owl.

EDIT: Also, soemtimes the GPS just makes it too easy during the day...the night can humble you somewhat :D

Edited by LokiDucks

Thanks for the replies, excellent advice from everyone. My only issue is I'll be traveling alone :D. I have been doing some PQs and searching for those caches that are recommended at night attribute or available 24/7 attribute to narrow the list of possibilties. One type I was considering is virtuals - it seems those would be easy to search at night.

If anyone else has any tips please pass 'em along.

We found while traveling cross country this past fall that we were able to do several virtual caches and even a few regular caches after dark. It really depends on where you're staying and how brave you are. The virtuals we stopped at in Amarillo were in the middle of town. It was strange to be in such a large city and there was no one around. I mean no one and it was only 9pm! But they were quick, easy and fun! I learned a lot. Enjoy your trip and use common sense. If you know you are going to be in a certain area on a certain evening and want company caching, post it. I'm sure someone will want to join you for an evening of caching.

terri

When you are out at night, make SURE to make waypoints often.  Mark your car. Mark the point that you left the trail.  After leaving the trail, mark every 10 minutes or so.

all good advice above. :lol: additionally, if you'll be caching in the woods and you do leave the trail, be sure to do what BigWhiteTruck says.

-mark where you leave the trail. it is SO easy to lose your bearings in the woods at night. you can do waypoints and/or use a glowstick and hang it on a branch.

-take extra batteries for your gps, because with the backlight on, it eats them faster.

-have fun!

...Avoid using any artificial light unless absolutely necessary...

I'll agree with that one whole heartedly.

Many times I go night caching in bright moon and the high powered flashlights some folks use ruin my vision. The less experienced folks tend to panic if it's not as bright as full daylight outside.

My number one rule for doing urban or suburban caches at night is to NOT park in the park parking lot. Ie, if the cache is in some sort of small park, find legal parking out on the street somewhere and walk to the site. In more general terms, park your car in a manner that will not arouse suspicion. A little extra walking won't kill you.

I generally prefer LED flashlights for night caching unless I'm out in the woods, and even then I bring one for backup because of battery life. LEDs don't advertise themselves like bulb flashlights. Wearing a headlamp is an open invitation to have the neighbors call the cops. Take it easy with the flashlight.

And yes, if you're going any distance through woods or such, take plenty of intermediate waypoints that you can navigate back through. I recently found myself bushwacking on the side of a local mountain at night and in the underbrush I was taking a waypoint every 100 feet. It really made a difference on the way back.

Edited by WalruZ
Avoid using any artificial light unless absolutely necessary.

I prefer to still be visible enough for hunters.

So if you don't want to light your way, i'd at least use some glow sticks to be seen.

There aren't many coon or possum hunters in these parts. :ph34r:

Besides, with a glow stick, I'd be afraid of attracting aliens. :D:D

Hehe, meeting aliens would probably make for an interesting log ;p

I'm using my headlamp when i'm in the woods at night, so no attracting aliens.

I'm not always using it when there's enough moonlight, but when it's really dark, or you have to leave the trails it's really nice.

And it helps while logging =)

Holding a flashlight, the log and a pen, and also trying to illuminate the log with the light while writing can be difficult. Especially in winter (frozen hands and/or thick gloves).

Avoid using any artificial light unless absolutely necessary.

I prefer to still be visible enough for hunters.

So if you don't want to light your way, i'd at least use some glow sticks to be seen.

If that is your scenario, then that is great. But in areas where there is no night hunting (or any hunting at all) then the needs are different. Also, our groups tend to be larger and less than silent. If there is a hunter out there then they will probably hear us long before they see the smaller flashlights.

There are three primary things to worry about with night caches, Police/Security, Housing Challenged, and critters.

Housing Challenged?

Is this the PoliticallyCorrectSpeak term for bums, hobos and vagrants these days? It's hard to keep up with this stuff.

Edited by Clothahump

I do a good bit of night caching also. I agree with parking in a non-suspicion arousing manner then walking further to the cache. In any event, waypoint the vehicle and use the breadcrumb trail.

One thing that I use which I think helps significantly is a red lense on my LED flashlight. From a distance, the red light is much harder to detect, so muggle troubles are lessened. Also, the red light doesn't cause night blindness when you turn it off. It still illuminates the area quite well during a search.

In my opinion, it is safe to add one star of difficulty on average when night caching.

-David

kd4adc

The majority of my FTFs were in the dark. One point that no one has mentioned yet is the "shadow effect" while looking for caches in bushes or trees. You'll have to try different techniques for holding a flashlight until you find methods that work well.

The majority of the time, I use a little headlamp for most of my finds. I won't hunt caches near housing tracts at night, due to the unwanted attention to the cache spot. Have fun, and watch for Snakes (Poison Oak/Ivy.

Just remember that flashlights bouncing around in urban areas tend to attract attention, so you're better off using them as little as possible. And headlamps in urban areas are a bad idea, IMHO.... you can't flick them on and off fast enough. I like to outen the lights when I hear a car coming, less attention is better. Just make sure you follow the rules and stay out of cemeteries, parks, etc that don't allow access at night.

I shoulda followed that, Before I went after Lefty's last strike, and had to walk 3 miles back to the car. That WASN'T Fun!!! Always, ALWAYS read the printouts before you go out!!!! I learned that the hard way.

I some areas it is better to use a flashlight all the time. There is a group of us in my that goes out almost every friday night when it is warm enough, last summer one of our group came with in just a teo or three feet of a rattle snake. If she did not have her light on she would have wound up in the ER. I alway have my flash light on when I am looking for a cache at night. Sure I have been approached by LEOs twice, but when I told them what I was doing they were fine with it. They thought I was nuts, but that is new to me :lol:

I like the idea of the glow sticks. I recently found some smaller ones really cheap at a dollar store. They are glow braclets for kids that are about 7" long with a small tube to join the ends together to make a circle. They were one dollar for 15 of them and could be clipped around a branch as a marker. We have had them glow for as long as 6 hours.

We like night only caches and are planning a couple of our own.