Rant: Coin & Le In Similar Metals

phoenix-rose

Rant:

Ok why do these coin groups make coins that are regular edition and limited editions that are in the same/similar metals and look practically the same. :)

Take, for example the Mississippi coins. They're beautiful. However, you can't really tell the difference between the two - antiqued silver and antiqued nickel....

Another example would be the Not Another Micro 2005, and the AL 2006....

And it doesn't stop with these three editions...

IMHO, if you're going to make a limited edition, it NEEDS to be SIGNIFICANTLY different than the regular coins. (Say copper for one and silver/nickle/gold for the other) It's hard enough keeping them seperate, but come on, how do I know for sure that I really got the LE and a Regular coin - when visually they are almost (if not exactly) the same.... :D

Perhaps they're the same and we're all just being faked out...

That and it's really hard to tell what I'm trying to trade for, and if I got the right one shipped or received.

ANYONE ELSE have this problem? Thoughts?

~Rose

Not Another Micro 2005 - 2 Versions

* Numbered

* FTF

Not Another Micro 2006

* Non-LE - Nickel, Shinny, Soft Enamel

* LE - Antique Silver/Gold Im Hard Enamel

There are production samples which are in the wild. They were given to a few people around the Bay Area during a late night coin talk. Of course, those are either blank or labeled MCXXX.

nielsenc

Not Another Micro 2005 - 2 Versions

* Numbered

* FTF

Not Another Micro 2006

* Non-LE - Nickel, Shinny, Soft Enamel

* LE - Antique Silver/Gold Im Hard Enamel

There are production samples which are in the wild. They were given to a few people around the Bay Area during a late night coin talk. Of course, those are either blank or labeled MCXXX.

nielsenc

Exactly my point - 2005 looks the same except for a teeny tiny FTF up in the corner.

Don't get me wrong, I love the coin - it's just that it's difficult to tell (not blatently obvious at first look - you actually have to get them in the light, tilt them around and then check for the FTF on this coin) if it's the LE or not.

The 2006, however, has a difference in color so you can visually see it.

Ed for clarity.

Edited by phoenix-rose

he he he Now you're right - that was clear as mud (or telling the difference between some of these coins!) :D

Ok I admit that I can tell the difference between the AL and the not another micro.

However, I can't tell a difference between AL and AL LE and the Not Another Micro/not another FTF without alot of examination.

:)

Do people really think about what the coin may look like in these different metals before getting them minted? There are some that are fantastic looking, in gold but look horrible in antique silver. I have seen one coin done in five different metals,only of which two looked good. To me LE (limited edition) doesn't mean minted in a different metal,although I have been guilty of buying them!

Rant:

Ok why do these coin groups make coins that are regular edition and limited editions that are in the same/similar metals and look practically the same. :(

Take, for example the Mississippi coins. They're beautiful. However, you can't really tell the difference between the two - antiqued silver and antiqued nickel....

Another example would be the Not Another Micro 2005, and the AL 2006....

And it doesn't stop with these three editions...

IMHO, if you're going to make a limited edition, it NEEDS to be SIGNIFICANTLY different than the regular coins. (Say copper for one and silver/nickle/gold for the other) It's hard enough keeping them seperate, but come on, how do I know for sure that I really got the LE and a Regular coin - when visually they are almost (if not exactly) the same.... :o

Perhaps they're the same and we're all just being faked out...

That and it's really hard to tell what I'm trying to trade for, and if I got the right one shipped or received.

ANYONE ELSE have this problem? Thoughts?

~Rose

Having only seem simulations of the Mississippi coin, I am not sure if we can say they look the same or not.

When we get them in hand we will see. I believe the LE coin is black nickel, not antique nickel.

Having said that, I actually agree with you :lol:

I thought that with a Black Nickel coin, all the exposed metal was Black? that certainly isn't shown in their pictures that way. I can't imagine it would look very good with so much exposed metal in the design.

Am I wrong about what the Black Nickel finish is? is it only the raised edges that end up black?

I agree though that if there is going to be a LE, there should be something obviously different. gold instead of nickel/silver, changed colors (like the Selective Availability coin), not just a variation of the same basic finish.

agreed - maybe one shiney and one antiqued? Something.. Anything to make them easy to tell them apart.

I have a huge collection of geocoins at this point, and about half I know are LE, and those that I don't, I wind up having to ask someone else and/or hope I can guess. (I'm sure I'm not always correct.)

Add into it that I'm trying to put coins in caches, If I have 1 LE and 4 regular, I will want to keep 1 LE and 1 regular, and put the other 2 in caches. Um.. Ya.. which one was the regular again? Can't tell.. Uh.. OOPS... that was the LE.. and now it's long gone... <sigh> and most likely muggled.... :lol: SINCE I KNOW NONE OF US would keep the coin for ourselves.. It never happens.... :o

~Rose