Restricting The Take Of Tb's ?

Matata

Having recently notices that some cachers are cleaning out caches of their full TB content, I was wondering if there should not be a restriction of the number of TBs one is allowed to grab?! Personally I recon it's only courtesy to take one at the time allowing the next fellow to have a grab too... Also the encourragement to label the TB with an instruction of its mission, so you can help it along quicker without having to log on first and check.

What is the feeling out there?

I have grabbed as many as three tb's in a day while out caching. I haven't felt bad about it since I knew I would be moving them on to another region (ie: WC to EC, USA to South Africa). It is when someone takes one, and then proceeds to stop caching for a month or two that should be discouraged.

If you are going to take stewardship of a tb temperarily, then you need to place it to a nice cache or place it quickly so others can grab it.

I do think placing a note with the TB saying the intented goal, even if just to travel, can help a person decide if it should be moved. I hate grabbing one and then reading that it wants to get to Sweden within two weeks time for a certain event. To much pressure for me, I suppose. :D

Hi!

I don't own any TBs, but if I did, I would want to see them moving, even if they are being moved in the company of other TBs. I wouldn't have any objection to people taking my TB along with someone else's. I'd rather they did that than leave the thing behind, especially if they can help it with whatever mission it may have.

- XV

My pet hate is those cachers who log a TB into a cache and then immediately log it out again. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this - yeah, the TB collects miles but if that's not it's goal then why do it? I had to send a polite note to a cacher in Oz who was hanging on to one of my TB's and doing the same thing. He placed it in a cache and left it there pretty quickly. If a TB has a very specific mission then an explanatory note would be appropriate. Unfortunately some people ignore even this and move the TB onto to inappropriate caches.

Hmm - I could only see the point in doing that if the TBs mission is to collect miles, or, as in the case of TB "6er-Schluessel" currently in GCR4QY, to visit as many caches as possible. In such cases, one would be helping the TB by logging it in and out of as many caches as one can visit before placing it for pick-up by someone else. However, if this is not the TBs mission, it does seem rather pointless...

- XV

My pet hate is those cachers who log a TB into a cache and then immediately log it out again. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this

It might also just be a way of saying to the owner that the bug is still alive and well, not languishing at the bottom of a drawer somewhere. I picked up a bug with a particular request to be placed in a cache in London. Since London was the last stop on my 5-week Europe trip, I simply logged the bug in and out of caches as I found them, and then finally dropped off the bug in the requested cache. That way the owner was aware that there was some movement and the bug had not expired.

Also, it might be the case that one gets to a cache but decides that the cache might not really be safe or appropriate (lots of muggles, high risk of being trashed, too small to accept the item, not receiving many visits, etc.) to leave the bug. In that case a log in and out collects miles and number of caches, but doesn't expose the bug to undue risk.

Of course, at the end of the day, the bug owner is entitled to hope for a particular travel experience for their "baby" which they have let loose into the big, bad world, and picking up a bug implies the cacher doing so accepts this, and hopefully respects the owner's wishes.