New At This

dragonwyvern

From your home coordinates, do a search and pick out only those caches that are rated a '1' for Difficulty and a '2' or less for Terrain.

Also look for caches that are "Regular" sized. Don't try to find a "Micro" cache on your first searches. These can be obvious, but they can also be very tricky and frustrating.

Use the "Go To" arrow on your GPSr and don't expect the cache to be at zero. It could be anywhere in a 30-foot circle. When you get close, look up and around for possible hiding places or things like an artificial pile of palm fronds or leaves or rocks. Don't forget to look up. Sometimes the caches are hanging from tree branches or placed in the fork of a tree.

Welcome to the sport/activity/hobby/obsession . . . :)

From your home coordinates, do a search and pick out only those caches that are rated a '1' for Difficulty and a '2' or less for Terrain.

Also look for caches that are "Regular" sized. Don't try to find a "Micro" cache on your first searches. These can be obvious, but they can also be very tricky and frustrating.

Use the "Go To" arrow on your GPSr and don't expect the cache to be at zero. It could be anywhere in a 30-foot circle. When you get close, look up and around for possible hiding places or things like an artificial pile of palm fronds or leaves or rocks. Don't forget to look up. Sometimes the caches are hanging from tree branches or placed in the fork of a tree.

Welcome to the sport/activity/hobby/obsession . . . :)

I searched Hudson,Fla. on mapsource and came up with this coord.

Hudso1 Hudson N30 51.746 W85 56.595 Symbol & Name 1/23/2006 3:05:41 PM

It seems the closest caches to her from those coords are 10mi.

That means there is plenty of room for her to plant some new caches for us!! :D

b27f12ee-0205-4120-b98a-5f3d0a71ce77.jpg

I am new too. I think you will love it here. I clicked on "Hide and Seek A Cache" on the left side of the page. I put in my postal code for the area closest to my place, or if I am going to be in another area (you can look up postal code right there on the same page with ease). I checked the list of caches. If you look at the page there is a place towards the left side with boxes, this is difficulty and terrain. The lower the number the easier. Find a cache you think you might want to try (the easiest are sometimes deceptively hard). Put the longitude and latitude information into your GPS OR print out the page. I printed for the first couple of caches. It helped alot. After you click on the Title of the cache, and the are looking at the cache page, you can really learn alot about the cache. Upper right, is the cache code, which you can use to find it again later. BE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED IN. Under the cache code is an area which tells you what type of cache it is (micro, small) and international symbols - allowing for times the cache is allowed to be visited (some are in parks with time restrictions) and info on parking, dogs, etc.

Check out by the title you can tell if the cache is traditional or unknown or a multi cache. Under the title and the owner of the cache is the longitude and latitude. Make certain your gps unit has the WAAS turned on and has the proper DATUM input. Then there is the UTM number, for map users. Then there is a symbol showing how far the cache is from your home coordinates. This is shown in the previous page as well, the one with the titles and cache descriptions on it. DOwn below the PLEASE NOTE area is the Difficulty and the Terrain ratings. This shows you how hard the owner has rated finding the cache. then there is usually an area of general descriptions involving the cache, or hints, and then logs. You might want to do a search to see if there is a Florida geocachers club in your area. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area there is another web site, and the people there have been so helpful to me in my quest to learn more, as they are closer and more accessible to me. Although the people here are great as well. Dont be afraid to ask questions, many of the cachers here seem to thrive on them. Alot of times the first time will turn up nothing, DONT GET DISCOURAGED. Once I found my third cache I knew I was hooked for life!!! It may take a bit of time to get the hang of it, but it is worth it. I learned alot by just reading the old forum postings, like one on placing caches and how creative and devious some of these cache owners are in placing their caches...Good luck, welcome to geocaching, I hope 2006 is a great year for you!!

I searched Hudson,Fla. on mapsource and came up with this coord. Hudson N30 51.746 W85 56.595

Could there be more than 1 "Hudson, Fl"? Google Earth search puts it at N28* 21.850 W082*41.617.

North of Tampa.

Your coords are up in the Panhandle.

Curiouser and curiouser... :D

KayakLady, where ever Hudson is, welcome!

Yes I saw that too. I will clarify. If that is the case, then this is the GE look.

5daacd1d-382d-4df5-a0b3-39806a548153.jpg