Earth Magnets

Panda Fan

You could also call local computer repair places and ask if they have any trashed hard drives they would let you have. HD's have strong rare earth magnets in them, or so I've heard.

I had a half dozen or so old hard drives. I tore them apart and the magnets in them are unbelievably strong. I love them! I've wondered about hitting up computer repair places for dead drives but haven't done so yet since I have the magnets from the drives I tore apart. There are two magnets per drive.

Yes, the earth is a giant magnet, but I doubt that it is for sale. And it would be very difficult to hide as a cache.

Rare earth magnets, on the other hand, are so named because of the mixture of neodymium, iron and boron used to make these very powerful magnets. Neodymium is one of the elements in the Lanthanum Rare Earth Series. Thus the name is given, for these magnets, Rare Earth Magnets.

I used Gorilla Glue to attach mine to a metal watertight box that's slightly smaller than an ammo can. It's waterproof, and strong as steel. The magnets hold the box and it's contents about 10' off the ground, and you still have to pull pretty hard to remove it. I used 2 3/8" magnets on each of 4 corners of the box, and it's still holding great after a few months outside.

There are two magnets per drive.

I tore one up this mornng and only found the one magnet... VERY STRONG. Took 2 people to get it off the drive it was so strong. Now that we know how to take them off, we could probably do it with 1 person, but they do adhere very well.

The magnet I obtained was under the "needle pointer" and is kind of kidney bean in shape, but there is only 1 magnet. POint me to the other one please... I have like 30 dead HD's here at work that I have full access to destroy!.

If you take apart old floppy or hard disk drives, please exercise caution. Some of them contain sharp bits, and there are materials in them you don't want to ingest (not likely, but you know, it should be said). Also, don't simply toss the parts that aren't magnets- there's a lot of material in electronic equipment that shouldn't go into landfills. Your local solid waste disposal facility should be able to assist you with getting rid of all that stuff- generally inexpensively.

And lastly, be extremely careful with some of the magnets you can get out of hard drives and floppy drives- most are very strong, but ones from older systems can be EXTREMELY strong- unbelievably so, enough in some cases to break bones or crush flesh if you get your hand/fingers/extremities pinched.

It's a good idea, just be careful when tearing apart old equipment and dispose of it properly.

I had a half dozen or so old hard drives. I tore them apart and the magnets in them are unbelievably strong. I love them! I've wondered about hitting up computer repair places for dead drives but haven't done so yet since I have the magnets from the drives I tore apart. There are two magnets per drive.

I have a few ancient hard drives floating around... tell me more :)

I have a few ancient hard drives floating around... tell me more :)

Get the case apart. They are assembled with Torx Screws size 10 or smaller. A hammer and a chisel take them out nicely. :laughing: You'll see the discs for data storage in the center and the control head/arm assembly running from one corner to under/between the discs. Also in that corner is a magnet or two above and below the base of the control assembly. Probably two more screws holding that in. You may have to removed the discs, so you can remove the control arm so you can remove the magnets. Some HDD's may use an electric motor/friction drive assembly instead of the magnet assembly. If you have the magnets, you'll know. Your tools will stick to them very well. I just picked up three (discards from computer stores) today and got a total of four magnets out. If you have the friction drive motor, you're out of luck for that HDD. I'm batting 4:5 Magnets:Motors.

JohnTee

I have alot of the HDs from the IT labs at work. I have taken them apart and found many different shape magnets depending on the size and age of the HD. One problem is taking them off the metal plate. Most are attached with some sort of adhesive and when "whacking" them with a small blunt tool, the coating "peels" off. Does anyone know of an easier way to get them off the plate without breaking the plated covering?????

Edited by RazorRocket

Funny you should ask! I was going to start a thread. There are a ton of places online that sell them, and I've been meaning to buy some for ages. I finally broke down and bought the grab bag from K&J Magnetics. They arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. I...ummm...don't have a picture on this machine, but it's a couple dozen teeny ones, and very powerful. All glommed together, I can't pull them apart by hand. (I keep forgetting and setting the stack down on an enamel table).

Best $15 I've spent in ages, though I'm having so much fun playing with them, I don't think I can bear to use them for anything. Even if you buy elsewhere, check K&J's web site for a good informational resource.