Non-public, Non-shared Bookmarks Showing

BootyBuddies

I had the same issue and it freaked me out until I figured out what was happening. I keep a FTF list as a bookmark and it isn't public. I'd hate to have it show up as a "brag list" on the cache sites! Fortunately, it is showing as "My Bookmark Lists" so it should be non-existant for others.

If it's in a box titled "bookmark lists" then everyone can see it.

If it's in a box titled "my bookmark lists" then only you can see it.

It doesn't appear to work that way for me. I have some bookmark lists that are public and some that are not, but they always show up on the cache page under "My bookmark lists", whether they're public or private. The only way I can be sure that the public ones are visible to others and the private ones aren't is to log out and look at the cache page again.

Here's an example: This cache is on two of my bookmark lists: "TNC series", which is public, and "picture puzzle caches", which is private. It is also on one other public bookmark list: "GPSr not required", by mrducky.

When I am logged in and look at the cache page, I should see "GPSr not required" and "TNC series" under "Bookmark lists," and "picture puzzle caches" in the "My bookmark lists". But this is what I see:

5aaada30-f4c5-4537-8543-c8f4579eaf16.jpg

There is no way for me to tell, just by looking, that one of my lists is visible to others, and one is not.

When I log out and look at the page again, I see this:

73d24222-a05d-4801-bfe0-b24a25e28854.jpg

which reassures me that "TNC caches" is public, and "picture puzzle caches" is private. It would be nice if there were an easier way to verify this.

Edited by the hermit crabs

It doesn't appear to work that way for me. I have some bookmark lists that are public and some that are not, but they always show up on the cache page under "My bookmark lists", whether they're public or private.

They also have to be "shared" in order for others to see them.

"Shared" means that others can view the list if they have the URL or click a link.

"Public" means it will show on the cache page(s).

A here's what is probably affecting the hermit crabs:

A list must be Shared in order for Public to have an effect.

It doesn't appear to work that way for me. I have some bookmark lists that are public and some that are not, but they always show up on the cache page under "My bookmark lists", whether they're public or private.

They also have to be "shared" in order for others to see them.

"Shared" means that others can view the list if they have the URL or click a link.

"Public" means it will show on the cache page(s).

A here's what is probably affecting the hermit crabs:

A list must be Shared in order for Public to have an effect.

That doesn't appear to be the issue.

My "TNC Series" bookmark list is both public and shared.

It is available for use by others.

It shows up on the appropriate caches pages for everybody.

Everybody except me sees it in the "Bookmark lists" box.

If it worked the way you say it does, I would see also it listed under "Bookmark lists" on the cache pages. But I don't -- I see it under "My bookmark lists".

It is shown exactly the same way that my non-public, non-shared lists are shown. There is no way to distinguish them just by the way they are arranged on the cache page.

Is there a cache that you have on two bookmark lists, one public/shared and one private? If so, do they get displayed the way you described, or do they look the way mine do?

I think I understand what you're saying.

Think of it this way. There are two buckets - One bucket contains your bookmark lists and the other bucket contains public bookmark lists.

When the site grabs the bookmark lists they stick yours in the "my" section and put the others in the public list. So your items will always show up in your "my" section.

I suppose we could change it to show up in both buckets. This is the first time I have seen any confusion but it may just have to do with the fact that the feature is so young.

How dynamic can the site be?

Publicly Viewed Bookmarks

GPSR not required by mr ducky

TNC Series by the hermit crabs

Bookmarks owned by the hermit crabs

picture puzzle caches

TNC Series

By indicating that the top portion is "Publicly Viewed", that clears it up that the bookmark lists in this area are viewable by EVERYONE.

Then by changing it from "My Bookmark Lists" to the user name, it clears up confusion - indicating that those are bookmarks (both private and public) that are owned by the person logged on to this particular computer. Of course, you could take away the redundancy of "picture puzzle caches by the hermit crabs" since they would ALL be owned by the hermit crabs in the second list.

I think I understand what you're saying.

Think of it this way. There are two buckets - One bucket contains your bookmark lists and the other bucket contains public bookmark lists.

When the site grabs the bookmark lists they stick yours in the "my" section and put the others in the public list. So your items will always show up in your "my" section.

Yes, I understand that that is how it works. I was just trying to explain that it doesn't work the way that Lil Devil described it.

I suppose we could change it to show up in both buckets. This is the first time I have seen any confusion but it may just have to do with the fact that the feature is so young.

It would be nice if there were a way to easily tell which of my lists are publicly viewable and which are not, rather than have them all listed together. But if it's difficult to implement, it's not that big an issue.

It would be nice if there were a way to easily tell which of my lists are publicly viewable and which are not, rather than have them all listed together. But if it's difficult to implement, it's not that big an issue.

It isn't difficult to implement. In fact I just updated the site to show them in both places (if they are public).

It would be nice if there were a way to easily tell which of my lists are publicly viewable and which are not, rather than have them all listed together.  But if it's difficult to implement, it's not that big an issue.

It isn't difficult to implement. In fact I just updated the site to show them in both places (if they are public).

Thanks! :D