What's The Best Glue Medium?

You can't go wrong with gorilla glue. It bonds almost anything to anything, including metals, wood, plastic, and stone. It is completely permanent and waterproof, and unlike super-glue, is gap-filling and still dries when there is excess.

It also foams up a little as it cures, so use sparingly.

You can find it at any hardware store. It is a little on the expensive side, but a little bit goes a long way. Believe me, you haven't seen anything like it.

The problem with gorilla glue is that it hardens completely and doesn't bond well to some plastics. If the plastic container flexes at all, the gorilla glue will pop right off. I would try Goop, but there has been reports of it not maintaining hold at extremely low temps.

This is true, but I would assert that any plastic which cannot be bonded with gorilla glue cannot be bonded by any glue. For example, polyethylene.

Smooth shiny surfaces should be roughed up with sandpaper first anyway, it's in the directions.

Because gorilla glue tries stiff unlike goop, I can see it popping off when the surface flexes, but if you rough it up, I can also see the glue not allowing the plastic to flex. I suppose you would have to experiment first.

A flexible adhesive like goop might be better on flexy materials, I don't now. You mentioned the cold, how does goop do in the rain?

I would use GG if I wanted to stick rocks to ammo cans.

Why it's great.

PS. I know I am a gorilla glue fanboy. :unsure:

PPS. I have seen 2x4s glued with gorilla glue break when you try to pry them apart before the glue bond breaks. One board will have part of the other board still glued to it!

When it comes to Goop.....at what temp will it not do well? This is for the lid of a film container, so flexibility is an issue. I just don't want to have to purchase 10 types of glue to find out none of them work.

Thanks,

Danie

I use goop to stick magnets to the bottom of film cans with no problems. Someone in the Northeast (I fail to remember who) tried the same and had the glue fail during the winter freeze.

You are likely to have more trouble gluing anything to the lid because it flexes when it is removed and replaced. I would recommend gluing to the bottom.

I use goop to stick magnets to the bottom of film cans with no problems.  Someone in the Northeast (I fail to remember who) tried the same and had the glue fail during the winter freeze.

You are likely to have more trouble gluing anything to the lid because it flexes when it is removed and replaced.  I would recommend gluing to the bottom.

I'm having a really good laugh at my own expense. It really didn't occur to me to glue the rocks to the bottom....duh! Now you all get to have a laugh at my expense too.

Thanks for the advice!

Danie :unsure:

Edited by Team Maple Leaf
When it comes to Goop.....at what temp will it not do well?  This is for the lid of a film container, so flexibility is an issue.  I just don't want to have to purchase 10 types of glue to find out none of them work.

Thanks,

Danie

I use goop to stick magnets to the bottom of film cans with no problems. Someone in the Northeast (I fail to remember who) tried the same and had the glue fail during the winter freeze.

I think you were having this discussion with Briansnat in another similar thread.

Link

I scooted to Home Depot and picked up some Gorilla Glue. It's taking a very long time to dry though and the rocks are sliding around a bit.

I looked for Gorilla tape while I was there but they haven't started carrying yet. I figured I'd save myself a trip out there again.

Thanks for all the info!

Danie

I think it has a 20 minute workable time and a one hour cure time.

Here's a site "This to That" that gives the best type of glue for every combination.

Oh wow....! I LOVE an obscure and useful link.

When working with odd-shaped objects, I have been frustrated with GG's need for clamping. It can't be beat for sticking to flat objects together.

I use 2-part epoxy for most projects, but it needs pretty good surface to surface contact to last and heaven help the person who gets it on their fingers when working with paper/foil/fabrics. Talk about a Candid Camera moment...

Anybody have experience with good ol Krazy Glue and the elements?

You forgot hot glue. It is already flexible and holds up well under alot of temps. i find it also holds well in damp situations. It will also stick to plastics

nope...it doesnt work on flexible containers. I made one out of a plastic jar and some sticks/bark. As soon as the container started flexing just by the temperature changes the sticks and bark started poping off like they where not even glued on....and yes I even roughed up the plastic. Hot glue just doesnt work well in the weather.

Edited by Rainwater

I usually glue camo burlap to my containers. I have used, ammo cans, plastic jars, plastic mailing tubes, all kinds of different substances. I used a hot glue gun to

glue the camo on, and in some cases use it glue a ring on, so the cache can be tethered to a tree. I usually paint the plastic with krylon for plastic or regular krylon

in the case of ammo cans etc.

The hot glue works. I have had caches out over a year in the Texas sun, humidity

and rain and I checked them earlier this week. Camo is still there and the

glue is holding fine.

Hot glue cheap, easy to use and a bonus of burning your fingers if you are not careful.... :D