Calling Cards - Yes Or No

gpsjester

Just getting in quick before the card haters come out.

Love em we have a scrapbook containing the ones left in our caches, nice reminder of our cache visitors and once you have them at home they cant be muggled.

Just dont make them the generic geocaching logo and your caching name be creative.

Ours are a numbered set from 1 to 20 all with different images from caches we have done.

We always stamp and write in the log book as well..

(1) Do we like them ?

• No they start to cause Cache trash, most of the caches I have seen stack of these in look tatty and I guess that affects the qualiy of the swaps

(2) Is this the lazy way, instead of signing the log book ? & (3) Do Geocachers who use them, also sign the log book ?

• I think most sign also but I guess some just leave a card

Do you use them ?

• No

what are your thoughts ?

• I think that a Rubber stamp in the log is much nicer

Never see any around my way, except for the Birders :unsure:

I'm told some caches are heaving with cards. I only leave mine in ones I liked, but I also sign and stamp the logbook. Subarite has been stamping a few around here recently :unsure:

I once found a cache were the owner had placed a wallet just for the calling cards.

I love them and I collect them. I also trash them out of my caches if they get all mushed up and dirty in the bottom of the cache, so perhpas a small baggy just to hold calling cards is a good idea.

BUT

I hate calling cards in micros. Sometimes it's hard enough to get the log out without mini cards pinging out all over the place!!

Personally I would rather not see them in caches. One cache I visited had in it from the previous finder an etched acrylic block, a photo calling card, a sticker, a stamp in the log book and they signed it.

I think I know who you mean... I saw the very same thing in a cache I revisted yesterday.

I think they're okay as long as the cache owner does regular maintenance and takes them away.

Personally I would rather not see them in caches. One cache I visited had in it from the previous finder an etched acrylic block, a photo calling card, a sticker, a stamp in the log book and they signed it.

I think I know who you mean... I saw the very same thing in a cache I revisted yesterday.

I think they're okay as long as the cache owner does regular maintenance and takes them away.

But why should a cache owner be forced to do maintenance more often than required. This is litter and they clog up caches, people moan about swaps but how can you fit some items in when there are loads of tat like cards littering the box.

Well, I did maintenance visits to a number of my caches over the weekend, and collected all the cards as well as several full (or very nearly full) logbooks / sheets which I replaced with new ones.

I plan to scan the logbooks and vistors' cards and put them on my website (the logbook from Hornet's Hide 1 is already there...)

But then it occured to me that those leaving cards - particularly the ones with photos of the cachers - may not really want them posted on the web...

What do people think about this?

Bob Aldridge

www.Belplasca.co.uk

Edited by Belplasca
No real objection, although I don't like finding them inserted in the log pages so they fall out when signing the log!  :)

Jon

thats a shame ther's nothing like that chase down the path in a high wind when they all fly out !! :D:)

That's why you take the kids along! We have a stamp which we add to the end of the written log :D

I like them, and leave our own in the form of an origami crane.

They should never be used in place of signing the log book though, and I also think that they are are left for the cache owner to collect.

I wondered who was leaving them!

Very smart - I am not so creative and just leave a sig card for the important (to me) caches - 50th/100th and so on

We used to leave calling cards, we had 100 plastic backed cards and left one in each cache we visited as well as signing the logbook. After reading a previous thread of this type we never bothered getting more when they ran out, seems loads of people have a strong dislike to cards in caches.

I personally don't sit and read through the logbook of every cache I find, its not always practical, and I can't always decipher people's handwriting :) I like to be able to flip through cards and see who has visited, especially with some of the more creative cards which are instantly recognisable. I can see why some people don't like finding a cache stuffed with cards which just feature a team name and the GC.com logo.

After reading a previous thread of this type we never bothered getting more when they ran out, seems loads of people have a strong dislike to cards in caches.

I have already collected a Cryptik Souls Crew calling card, so now I am doubly pleased as it looks like they are limited edition collectors items!

BTW, seeing as we have loads of threads moaning about cache contents depletion, I am astounded that people complain about people leaving these and clogging up caches. They are not left as swaps, but as extras, so they are adding to the caches.

Mind you, even more I like other sig items, and I have a nice collection of lego men, purple dice, teddy bears, rubber duckies, etched perspex,etc accumulating (yes and I have a pair of rubber gloves and pack of tissues too!). You know who you are :)

After reading a previous thread of this type we never bothered getting more when they ran out, seems loads of people have a strong dislike to cards in caches.

I have already collected a Cryptik Souls Crew calling card, so now I am doubly pleased as it looks like they are limited edition collectors items!

BTW, seeing as we have loads of threads moaning about cache contents depletion, I am astounded that people complain about people leaving these and clogging up caches. They are not left as swaps, but as extras, so they are adding to the caches.

Mind you, even more I like other sig items, and I have a nice collection of lego men, purple dice, teddy bears, rubber duckies, etched perspex,etc accumulating (yes and I have a pair of rubber gloves and pack of tissues too!). You know who you are :D

You got one my FTF etched acrylics? They're exclusively in purple acrylic. There's only 3 or 4 in the field (not for lack of trying) and only 25 in existence.

I like all sorts of sig items - the problem is when what starts off as an original clever idea by a couple of cachers becomes something that loads of people do. Mind you, I also like finding McToys, and always trade them out - I've got loads, all found in caches, framing my PC monitor at home.

And yes, I think I was the cacher referred to in Skate and Jane's post up there - to be fair, the (very small) sticker, the stamp and the signature all formed part of the logbook entry, and in total took up no more space than most other log entries. The etched acrylic was one of my geotags, and the photo calling card was a joint one that I only ever use when I cache with the other team who were with me that day.

Anyway, my point...I think...is that all these personal items have their place: Some people like finding them, others don't. If a cache owner said "No tags or calling cards please", I'd respect it, although I don't ever remember seeing that said.

Anyway, my point...I think...is that all these personal items have their place: Some people like finding them, others don't. If a cache owner said "No tags or calling cards please", I'd respect it, although I don't ever remember seeing that said.

I think this is a fair comment and one that I will adopt myeslf...

Personally I leave a calling card - IF the cache is able to hold one.

I also have a sticker for the log which I then fill in with date and took/left info, I usually then add a comment underneath that relates to the cache or the walk to get there.

I also leave (In addition to whatever I swap) a personalised Grid Ref Aid - Printed on Acetate then laminated for extra durability - just as a handy little extra.

(If anyone wants their own designing - email me and I'll sort one out for you - Stuck at home with badly broken ribs / dislocated collarbone so the distraction would be welcome!)

BILSKIRNIR

I use www.superstickers.com who are basically educational but will supply to private individuals as well.

They can make customised stickers. You can choose from their graphics (not too relevant as they're mostly aimed at primary children!) or can have text only.

They also supply customised stampers (round or rectangular) and for these you can upload your own simple graphics.

The service is very quick - stickers arrive in a day or two although stampers take a liitle longer.

Worth a look

Yes, we use them; Yes, we like them; and Yes, we write in the log book.

I agree that cache owners should check and clear out their caches from time to time as we have come across one or two caches where there were so many calling cards it was hard to find the trade items.

It adds another dimension to caching - the kids love looking through them.

We drop calling cards in. We don't really care what happens to them after that. The cache setters can keep them, bin them or whatever. We don't even mind cachers taking them if they wanted to make a scrpbook with them. We also sign the log and leave a sticker. Any cache setters who don't like calling cards should just say and I'm sure cachers would respect that.

Lets not get too into this and get them banned. Everyone is different. I love seeing them and would wecome more in our caches.

Currently we use a sticker which we place in the notebook with the date added and then a short comment. Perhaps this year we will try a calling card as well as a signature item. We saw some lovely ones last year. Also collected a good few from caches where people put them in for you to take, Daisy and her man's caches, as a prime example. It's all good stuff and done in the spirit of the hobby of geocaching. Each to his/her own. :(

I send any duplicate calling cards that I find to a cacher in America who sends me in turn some nice sig items. He's got a large cork noticeboard over his computer and pins them all to that. I think the dislike of them is more a UK thing. In America there are loads of caching pages dedicated just to 'cards and where I found them'.

I have a new sig item that I will only leave in special caches [although Alibags managed to snatch one off me the last time she stayed :( ]

Edited by Alice Band
Now that is spooky - we actually found one of your FTF etched acrylics IN A FIELD :( on Saturday! Will hopefully reunite you and the iccle purple gem on Sunday. :(

And this is proof enough that this kind of activity increases pollution, and all that plastic is not at all healthy for the environment.

I asked

Are calling cards left in caches for the cache owner or cache finders to collect and keep?

I was asking if anyone knows if calling cards are placed in caches to become the property of the cache owner to do with as they wish .

Or deposited for cache finders to retreive if they wish ?

edited to ask " or do cards remain the property of person who put them in the cache?"

Edited by t.a.folk