Compass/direction Problems With 60cs

I have a new Garmin 60CS unit, and on both treks out, i've had problems with the compass. Now, I'm very much a novice at this, so maybe I'M doing something wrong, but I don't think so.

I have the Electronic Compass on. When we are out and using it, it will be working fine. Then, the compass seems to STOP responding. No matter which direction I turn, the big compass on the compass page doesn't respond. The "N" arrow on the map page stays pointed in the same direction (relative to the screen) no matter which direction I turn. Also, the compass page shows the HOLD LEVEL message, even though it IS level. If I hold the compass at about 45degree angle, the HOLD LEVEL disappears.

If I recalibrate the compass, it starts working again.

I haven't tried turning off the Electric Compass yet, because I couldn't figure out how, and I didn't have the manual with me. (Now, I know how, and if it happens again, i'll try turning off the electric compass, and see if the GPS compass works).

Anyone have any problems like this? It's only a week old, so if we suspect a bad unit, I'll return it to REI. (Actually, I wish they'd get the CSx in, so I could exchange mine for a 60CSx).

Thanks for any tips.

Darryl.

Edited by TheMylrea's

dude!! you should have waited... the csx is in stores this week! I got mine off ebay though..

i agree the compass is wierd.. sometimes it seems like it doesnt want to work especially if i hold my gps vertical. goes all messed up then...

Edited by bhorocks

Well, REI has probably the BEST return policy, which is why I bought from them. They will take it back anytime, for any reason. So, if the 60csx turns out to be the "cats meow", then I will exchange it.

Regarding the compass, don't you ALWAYS have to hold it HORIZONTAL for the compass to give an accurate reading?

Also, the compass page shows the HOLD LEVEL message, even though it IS level. If I hold the compass at about 45degree angle, the HOLD LEVEL disappears.

If I recalibrate the compass, it starts working again.

Is it possible that there's something magnetized (say a belt buckle or bracelet) that's fairly close to the 60cs?