What Is Going On With Tb's When They Go West ?

LT.Cannon

I have 3 TB's out 2 of them westward and one in the hands of a geocacher..One of my TB's is in a cache in Arizona and has not moved in 5 months. One of the others was just recently moved to a cache in Alabama..The third TB is in the hands of a cacher and has been for 3 months.... Its a little disturbing when you look at you TB's and they are not moving....The whole point of putting TB's out i thought was to let them move from cache to cache and from state to state... Let me know what you think.......

One of mine has not moved in about 5 months, My others have been stranded longer. I have one that I do not think has move in almost two years. I am just not going to buy anymore tags. They are getting to be a waste of money. I am not going to even move anymore bug when I see them. With all the micros all over the place and the lack of large caches that can hold bugs, it is not worth all the hassle.

Ohhh I love the bugs!! Even tho I recently travelled all the way to the Sacramento Valley to try and put the first TB I ever found near some ducks (its goal) and could not find a suitable place, I thought of another place, which turned out to be better than my first idea. I just wish I had a digital camera to show the TB owners where their bug landed. (If you have a digital camera and are around the cache "Tamalpias Watchs it all' and want to take a photo of the TB there - Nici the duck - to send to Nici's owners, that would be great!)...I now have two TBs, both of which are just trying to travel. This week I will be in San Francisco and have looked up a number of caches near the docs office I have an appointment at so I can get the TB's closer to SFO for their next leg.

As I understand it geocaching is based mostly on honesty. As a cacher, you are suppose to hunt and find the cache, not just pretend you did, and then make up a phoney log. You are suppose to either trade items, or sign the log in the cache or do whatever it is you are suppose to do, then return the cache to "EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS PLACED''. The existence of the TB, to me adds another dimension of the game. To try and get the bug to where it wants to go. Like multi-caches. I for one like the added treat, not only of seeing the TB and where it came from and where it wants to go, but to try and help it get there in a reasonable amount of time. For me that is not always easy since I have such a low positive cash flow. I think I would always grab a TB, even just to move it to another nearby cache. It is sad that there are people out there who will take caches, or TB's or have malicious intent in their heart. There are weeds in every garden, the way I see it, I can look at the weeds, or I can look at the flowers...

I would hate to see geocaching reduced to micros without ever having TB's. That would be a sad day indeed. Just my two cents.

I have 3 TB's out 2 of them westward and one in the hands of a geocacher..One of my TB's is in a cache in Arizona and has not moved in 5 months. One of the others was just recently moved to a cache in Alabama..The third TB is in the hands of a cacher and has been for 3 months.... Its a little disturbing when you look at you TB's and they are not moving....The whole point of putting TB's out i thought was to let them move from cache to cache and from state to state... Let me know what you think.......

Don't believe for one moment that the phenomenon is just on the west. I have a TB on hold since August back in the NE.

There are no less than 10 caches in my immediate area (50 mile radius) that supposedly still have bugs in them, yet the last few posts state otherwise.

(Local reviewers - I am NOT complaining about YOU!) Someone prior to those posts logged on the cache page that they grabbed the bug, then never really logged it out on the bug page. The cache owner hasn't checked the cache in a while, or they would see that it isn't there, and the bug owner hasn't taken it out as missing either.

One of the bugs in question was in a cache I found recently, and I emailed the person who logged the bug as "taken" in the cache log that (they) should log it out on the bug page also, please, so to take it out of inventory that others are looking for. That person is somewhat active - having been on the site as of 1/16/06. No reply, no effort to log the bug out either. When I more recently checked on the bug page, it was "reissued" by the owner.

It's one thing if they get muggled, but the very people who seek out caches for fun and enjoyment, OF ALL PEOPLE, shouldn't be the ones stalling/stealing bugs along the way. I understand if, while caching, you fell and broke both arms and legs and cacn't get to a cache for a while. But come on. You can have someone log a note for you, or at least respond to an email...

Oh, and I am guilty of holding a bug for more than the requested two weeks...I had one over the holidays and took it to Disneyland for a visit. I emailed the bug owner about the status of it, that I was keeping it for a longer time due to weather and holidays, but got no reply. Then I was searching for the best, most recently found cache I could find to send it on its way according to its mission. I live where it is foggy this time of year, and it took me a while to get it to a good cache.

Then when I did I messed up logging it in/out and had to have the cache owner take a look at it for me...

(Thanks again Fresgo!)

But months...no way!