Geocaching While On Vacation

Jayrod7

Hi,

My family is planning a trip to san francisco during spring break. I was wondering if there is anything special you need to worry about by carring a gps on an air plane. With all this terrorist stuff i was wondering if it is even legal to carry a gps on an airplane. (getting past security screenings).

Thanks

Jayrod7

First, yes its legal and you will have no problem getting passt security. But a number of factors go into whether you can use it on board. Some airlines have policies against the use of GPS on board and you need to check with them. Then even if the airline policy allows it, anything on board is at the discretion of the pilot who has the right to say that they don't want it used.

I have used them a number of times in flight with no problems, but never on take off or landing when anything electronic should be turned off. You will need to be next to a window to get a fix however, a centre seat won't do it. If in doubt about the use of the equipment, ask the flight attendant.

JDanDD

No, there is nothing to worry about. Once on board, if you have a window seat, give the unit a try...great fun and quite the conversation starter. Just follow the same procedures as are required for any electronic device. Having a USA road map would come in handy. :D If a crew member asks that you not use the unit, turn it off and do not worry about it. Have a wonderful trip and as always, "Cache on Garth." ;)

Edited by Team Cotati
I always keep my GPS with me, in a pocket or in my carry on bag. Do not put your gps in your check on baggage, the airlines do not have to replace lost or stolen electronics.

Other than that, San Francisco can be very cold at night in the spring. Bring a warm jacket for the evenings.

"Spring??!!" Freaking August for crimminie sakes!!! It always cracks me up to see the tourists (God love 'em) walking across the GGB in their Bermuda shorts freezing it off. Too funny. :D:D;)

Edited by Team Cotati
I always keep my GPS with me, in a pocket or in my carry on bag. Do not put your gps in your check on baggage, the airlines do not have to replace lost or stolen electronics.

Other than that, San Francisco can be very cold at night in the spring. Bring a warm jacket for the evenings.

"Spring??!!" Freaking August for crimminie sakes!!! It always cracks me up to see the tourists (God love 'em) walking across the GGB in their Bermuda shorts freezing it off. Too funny. :unsure::unsure::)

The tourist shops on fishermans warf sell lots of sweat shirts in the summer :D

It can be a hot summer day and then you freeze our but off after dinner.

Didn't Mark Twain say "The coldest winter I remember was a summer in San Francisco"

We usually get a hard frost in April...No matter the weather or how nice the day, bring that sweater or sweatshirt or jacket with you while you go to that particular cache. The winds go right thru the gate and hit Alcatraz, making it a very cold place to visit. Have a great time..

I would be careful about using that GPS while on a plane most of the airlines have a policy agains that these days. If you look in their magazine it will tell you whether it is allowed. Don't know if they would seize it or not if you were caught, but I would rather not find out so I keep mine in my bag.

Like I said, there is no problem with electronic equipement. The only thing that is not allowed and they do say so before taxiing, is the cell phone. It's the only item not allowed once the plane starts moving untill it comes to a complete stop at the end of the flight.

I've used my GPSr on dozens of flights. Its fun to see how fast you're really going when you're at altitude, and it's very interesting to watch where the plane flies as I'm coming home. I didn't realize we were told to prepare for landing when we were still so far away. Having a map on the GPSr makes it a lot easier to pick out stuff on the ground when you know where you're looking.

It's also fun to watch the speed of the plane on take off. You're not supposed to use the device then - but I have a lot. I have a hard time believing that a small electronic device that's okay to use at altitude can harm the plane during take off. That includes GPSr, cell phone, MP3 player, game boy, etc.

Be aware that in order to get it to work you pretty much have to put the GPSr right up to the window. If you're not in a window seat you can forget about getting a signal.

The family and I went to Florida last week for some Disney World fun. Had my GPSr and IPAQ in the side pocket of my backpack. Didn't even have to remove them from the bag for the security screeners. Once in flight, I did fire it up to show my daughter how fast we were going. Max speed on my unit is now 606 MPH. I woulnd't think there would be a problem as the GPSr does not transmit, only receive. Any interference would already be happening as the signals from the GPS sats are always beaming.

I have been asked to turn it off on occasion but that is rare. Some airlines are worse than others. But they won't confiscate it or anything like that. Just turn it off and put it away if asked.

Here's a link that might help: Use of GPS on Aircraft. Near the bottom of the article you will find the rules and basically they say that the carrier can decide meaning its ok for an airline to say no. And the pilot is still the prime authority. However, most airlines do seem to be more relaxed about the equipment now.

JDandDD

My brother is a pilot, and he says if anyone asks him as they're boarding he always says it's okay to use them, but he's required to tell them to keep them off during takeoff and landing. (not sure what he'd say about my previous post)

However, if one of his flight attendants notices the GPSr with someone that didn't ask him and asks the passenger to turn it off, he says he'll back her up if asked, and then later he'll explain to her what a GPSr is and tell her it's okay during flight. He just wouldn't want to over rule her in front of a passenger and make her look bad or something.

I'd say keep it in your pocket until you're ready to turn it on, and then just do it. Nobody will "freak out" and they won't take it away. The most they'll do is ask you to turn it off and put it away.

But the idiots with the FAA want to strat allowing the use of cell phones while in flight.

Just out of curiosity, what in particular incenses you about that? If I understand what I've heard, cell phone technology has advanced to the point that a cell phone won't hit more than one tower at a time and they won't hit towers from altitude anyway. They would have to hit a relay mounted in the plane, for rebroadcast to the ground based cellular system.

JohnTee

Hi,

My family is planning a trip to san francisco during spring break. I was wondering if there is anything special you need to worry about by carring a gps on an air plane. With all this terrorist stuff i was wondering if it is even legal to carry a gps on an airplane. (getting past security screenings).

Thanks

Jayrod7

I haven't had any problems carrying my GPSr's (two of them, in fact) on board airplanes on domestic and international flights, so there's no need to put it in your check-in luggage.

As others have said, you may or may not run into problems using your GPSr during the flight, depending on each airline's policies. Once you try it and see that it can track speeds at 600+ mph, the novelty will likely wear off so it won't be an issue. :)

If you take along a USA or regional road map, the 'novelty' will last a lot longer. This is especially true if the flight takes place primarily during hours of daylight. At night people seem interested in knowing, "what are those lights over there?" I have found this to be quite the conversation starter and people seem really interested in the technology. Predicting your arrival over selected check-points can really make the time fly (pun intended). But then I'm easily amused. :):):D:):D Fun stuff.

Edited by Team Cotati