Magellan Meridian Gold...what Screen Should I Use?

Kemo_Sabe

Hi,

I am a newbie...I bought a Meridian gold and took it out to my fist cache. I'm still learning all the different tools that I can use on my gps to get to groud zero. It turned out as a dnf...although I went when the sun was almost gone. So, my question is this: What screen should I be using to get to ground zero. And what should I have in the data fields to utilize my gps. The cache I went to had 1 1/2 stars...so, even though it's an "easy" one, I want to get better at understanding the data my gps is spitting out at me.

Thanks.

Overtime I learned that different screens can help me in different ways. Generally, I use the map screen to get to the cache. It can tell you what direction the cache, what direction you are moving and we get very close using just that and the standard heading and speed datafields. Frankly, after a while that's all you need and when you get to the cache's icon on the map the hide becomes a matter of thinking like the hider. Where would we put it.

Often we use the position screen to get a little closer. Its the one the gives the coords, and we'll use it to lock in on the coords, remembering of course that accuracy is never 100%.

The only customization I've done is to put the EPE as a data field on the positon screen. If the EPE is really high then I know that I can't expect the coords to be too accurate and it can suggest how broad the search area should be.

We almost never use the other screens which for us at least are more about car navigation than anything.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

I use the pointer when on foot. Driving to cache, I have maps loaded so street map is up.

Can I offer a bit of advice regarding you Meri-Gold? I only say this because I've had mine a long time and haven't only recently learned by conversing with other owners.

When you get 100' from a cache, stop, wait a minute to let the GPS catch up with you. It has a function (name eludes me at the moment) that will cause you to overshoot caches by 50' almost everytime unless you let it catch up. I've been stopping at 100' waiting for a minute (its funny to watch the distance decrease while you're standing still), then proceed slowly to find the cache. I've found just about everything I've looked for since trying this. Today was 3 for 3 in the middle of the forest so I'm beginning to trust my GPS more finally.

When hiding caches, I use the screen that has the Lat/Long pulled up, and EPE (error/accuracy). I let it sit in the cache spot for a bit to get a good reading then recheck it several times. Most people don't complain at all about coordinates now.

Good luck and have fun. It is a good GPS especially if you beef up memory with an SD card and invest in Mapsend for road routes.

We have used both the Gold & the Platinum. We use the map screen and the compass screen (but not the compass). We have the compass screen set for EPE and Distance. If we need a compass, we have a nice handheld we always have along.

What we have found to work very well for us is to use the map for the general direction to head and switch to the compass screen for distance and error. We switch back and forth quite often and periodically zoom in one step on the map. We keep the cache icon visible on the map screen at all times & only zoom in when it will still show on the map.

I think by switching screens often and only zooming in as we do, the GPSr stay accurate and we don't have the problem of over-shooting the target.

I find it funny that a GPSr can give you your speed when moving along at 75 MPH and match the speedometer, but you can out walk it?

Try setting a waypoint on some object nearby, walk away at least 150 feet and then do a goto to that point. Knowing where the object is will help you to learn what your GPSr is telling you. You will get a feel for how your GPSr reacts to the way you move and the way you use it.

It doesn't take long to get comfortable with the Gold and you will enjoy having it.

John

Congrats and welcome! My basic procedure:

1. Use the map screen to get me to the general area, then use the compass screen versus the map screen. Tells you where to go and how far left to go.

2. Rather than trying to get to the 0 point on your GPSr (basically standing on top of the cache) stop about 50 feet from the expected location. Then stop looking at your GPS and start looking at your location. Look for the obvious clues to the cache location. Piles of sticks, rocks, dead hollow tree, or stump in plain view. Don't forget to look at the size of the cache you are looking for. Nothing like thinking you are hunting a regular sized cache, when it is actually a micro-cache.

3. Start out with the easiest dificulty caches (D/T). So go for the 1/1 to 2/2 caches first.

4. Have fun and enjoy the great Winter weather...

Another vote for the map screen while driving or walking to the general area of the cache. When I'm within .1 mile to a few hundred feet, I change to the compass screen. (On a sunny day, I line the sun up with the sun icon to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I also try to carry a compass to help align the screen if it's overcast).

I too have recently learned that it takes the GPS a while to catch up with you when you are walking to the vivinity of the cache. As you get close, slow down or stop and let the GPS get a better fix.

Don't forget, just because the GPS says you are within 5', the cache may typically be anywhere withing 30+ feet of your location. (I've had the GPS bring me to the same spot on two different days. My son found the cache 100' away.) When you get close, trust you senses / instincts as much or more than the GPS.

(Meridian color w/ topo map)

I've found my Merigold to be quite accurate and has placed me right on top of the cache locations even though my brain was telling me it was probably wrong. Going to the cache location I use the main mapping screen. Check out Yahoo Groups and search for a group dealing with Magellan Meridian GPSrs. I've learned ways of manipulating my screen so it shows more detail. :mad: