Best Cache Container

Jettdude

We found a multi once that had a five or six foot pole with a hook on it hidden in a fencepost for the first stage. The second stage was a camouflaged birdhouse high in a tree. You used the pole to hook into an eyelet on the bottom of the birdhouse and pull it down. A tape measure was attached to the base of the birdhouse which allowed it to go back into place. It was awesome!

We found an unusual multi-cache that required a 9 volt battery to figure out the next stage. The container had what seemed like a gazillion wires sticking out of it plus a small eye piece to look through. When the correct two wires were hooked up to the battery, a light went on inside the container. You looked through the eye piece and could read the coordinates for the final part of the cache. Very clever!

We found an unusual multi-cache that required a 9 volt battery to figure out the next stage. The container had what seemed like a gazillion wires sticking out of it plus a small eye piece to look through. When the correct two wires were hooked up to the battery, a light went on inside the container. You looked through the eye piece and could read the coordinates for the final part of the cache. Very clever!

Oh I do like that one. Might have to "borrow" that idea. Very neat.

fake bolt.....on a bridge that had, in estimation, about 300 bolts fastened to it. i realized to count how many were on one side, and see if they were symmetrical with the other side. STILL took me quite awhile to find, but boy was it worth it!!

also a HUGE plastic bat hung about 25' above the ground in a tree. i glanced up to see if there was any cloud cover messing with my signal and BAM! there it was.

One of my hides is a giant rubber rat, in a tree hollow, i have gotten funny replies, and some who just didnt like it, the mouses belly is where you trade items and sign log, at least muggles arent likely to mess with it, i give a hint like "the pied piper of hamlin followers" for those who recall elementary literature. he played the pipe to make the mice follow out fo town to rid the town of the mice problem, it's in Weldon NC

I came up with a semi-creative cache container after reading some of these threads. I epoxied a Chapstic container to the end of a bolt and then placed the bolt in a post. At the same location, I epoxied a pencil to the end of the bolt and placed it nearby. Most cachers have found it without problem but I've got one guy pretty stumped, he's tried 3 times to find it so far. :-)

Matthew

I've got an unusual hide and as soon as it is found I will be glad to let everyone know how I did it!

GC17T7C

Bay Counties Smallest Public Bay Access

50+ DNF's and counting! :unsure:

I can't wait until Spring! I am placing a micro ( I know, I know!) in the woods. I picked up a fake lily pad at Michaels complete with water droplets on it, going to find myself a pond (not hard around here) and sit back and watch the fun.

I've never replied to this thread because I only saw it today, but I gotta tell you about several great caches up here in Calgary, AB and one A LOT farther away...

Recently we had a 'Cache and Release' 24 hour event, with hiding, finding, and after party. The cache that had the most DNF's (we found it) also had the most controversy. It had a decoy micro in a tree and the real cache was a LnL glued to a piece of plywood cut to fit into an allan block (upside down). That's not all! When you remove the allan block cap you don't see it because the creator had glued landscaping bits like bark, etc. to the top part of the plywood. It was excellent. It also got stolen by a cacher who had logged the micro decoy.

Another that I just found was in an empty electrical box on the side of a boathouse that you needed a screwdriver to open, It is called 'In Plain Sight'.

Here is a picture of 'A Gnome's Home' done by a local cacher. He also made a cache called 'Toblerone Ridge' that looked like a toblerone bar.

HPIM0720.jpg

And a picture of 'Casket 4' in Egypt. A real treasure box.

HPIM1292.jpg

I've never replied to this thread because I only saw it today, but I gotta tell you about several great caches up here in Calgary, AB and one A LOT farther away...

Recently we had a 'Cache and Release' 24 hour event, with hiding, finding, and after party. The cache that had the most DNF's (we found it) also had the most controversy. It had a decoy micro in a tree and the real cache was a LnL glued to a piece of plywood cut to fit into an allan block (upside down). That's not all! When you remove the allan block cap you don't see it because the creator had glued landscaping bits like bark, etc. to the top part of the plywood. It was excellent. It also got stolen by a cacher who had logged the micro decoy.

Another that I just found was in an empty electrical box on the side of a boathouse that you needed a screwdriver to open, It is called 'In Plain Sight'.

Here is a picture of 'A Gnome's Home' done by a local cacher. He also made a cache called 'Toblerone Ridge' that looked like a toblerone bar.

HPIM0720.jpg

And a picture of 'Casket 4' in Egypt. A real treasure box.

HPIM1292.jpg

I remember one that was a small peanut butter jar. It was placed in a hollow log that had been cut. When I opened it , the paper inside just said that it wasn't the cache and to keep looking. I should tell you that there had been some logging activity in that area, so there was quite a few stumps, hollow trees and slash. Well, I had spent over an hour looking for the dang thing and was getting pretty PO'ed. I ended up kicking a stump and it fell over and a peanut butter jar fell out of it. The owner had hollowed out that piece of log that was about 8-10 inches tall. He placed it just perfect. He had the grass standing up next to it like it was growing(which it was), and saw dust coming away from the "stump" just as if it was freshly cut. And the log with the first jar was lying right next to it.

I recently found one inside an air conditioner. There were two AC units outside of a business. One was a bit smaller than the other. The big one was an actual AC. The smaller one had a trash can inside of it. I had to undo two eye-bolts to hinge open the lid of the unit and get to the trash can.

We just passed 850 finds, and besides seeing some beautiful country, we've seen some creative containers.

One of my favorites was a 5-gallon bucket hidden deep inside a stump that was nearly 5 feet tall. The hider placed a makeshift fishing pole just inside the stump, and you had to use it to hook the handle of the bucket to pull out the cache. Very clever.

Another fun container was a rubber spider which was attached to a 35 mm film canister with fishing line. When we nabbed the film canister from the bush, the previously unseen spider came, too. Made us jump and then laugh!

Thanks to everyone who hides caches for making this hobby so fun.

---J of DarK JazZ :huh:

Edited by DarK JazZ

A particularly inventive hide I found was inside a hollow tree. There was an opening at ground level big enough to slip an ammo can in, and a void which went up, into the tree, a few meters. Naturally, my geosense took me to this hole, but it initially appeared to be full of nothing but leaves, twigs & dirt. Careful probing revealed a weight and a cord. When you raised the weight, an ammo can descended to the hole. I'm too old, fat & crippled to bend in the requisite position needed to determine the mechanics involved, but I assume there was a pulley up there somewhere. The weight was heavy metal, (lead?), molded to look like it belonged, and the cord was olive drab paracord woven into the cracks & crevices inside the tree.

I have found a large electrical panel box screwed to the back of a park building (with permission of course) the box was large, and looked like it totally belonged there. There was a screw driver velcroed to the bottom to unscrew it to open to the cache inside.

I have also found a cocnut about 15 feet in the air. It was attached to a rope you had to untie to get it down.

I own a cache that is a waterproof electrical box next to a park sign. The box has conduit, and everything.

I also have a 4 1/2 star that has only been found 1 time in the month and a half it has been active. there has been no dnf's but I just think they don't want to admit it. It will be found, but it isn't gonna be easy. I wish I could tell you, but I'm afraid there may be lurkers on here.

I want to do the dog lost sign, I just haven't found the right spot yet. It WILL get done though. I promise.

I also have plans for an underwater cache, I just can't find a body of water to put it in. never fear though I will prevail.

My favourite hide was a two part multi, but the first stage really took the cake. I was introduced to it by a friend, who for some odd reason, insisted that we bring a pair of binoculars along on our adventure. I didn't think much of it... It was a quick, easy find, so I didn't see what all the fuss was about, until I opened the container only to find a small hand pump attached to a hose that trailed off into the forest floor, near a lake. What I didn't realize was that with every pump, I was filling an item under the water with air that was slowly making its way to the surface. After a few minutes, what looked to be a sunken pirate's ship emerged in the water quite a distance from where we were standing -hence the binoculars... Sketched on the sails of the ship were the coordinates to the final.

The skill was really in jotting down the coords, while maintaining enough air in the ship to keep it on the surface. It bobbed around a lot which made it hard... and no help from my fellow cacher! :ph34r:

Edited by cinematopographer
After a few minutes, what looked to be a sunken pirate's ship emerged in the water quite a distance from where we were standing -hence the binoculars... Sketched on the sails of the ship were the coordinates to the final.

Brilliant. I do wonder if that was inspired by the computer game Myst! It reminds me of one of the puzzles in that game. :)

Edited by chasclifton

My favorite find was one that required you to have a jug of water to recover the cache. Pour water in the PVC pipe attached to a post and get the cache when it burbles to the top. By the time you have removed, signed, and replaced the log in the cache, the water has drained out a small hole at the bottom of the pipe. You drop the cache in and it drops to the bottom for the next cacher.

Very cool!

I haven't been caching for very long, but the best one I have seen yet was an old telephone box (the kind you see on the side of the road) that was placed near a road right of way, with a cache inside. My wife sat down on it after we had been looking for the cache for some time! It looked as though it was supposed to be there!

I should be safe describing them since I won't tell you which they are:

#1: In a wooded area a large stick was on the ground. The owner cut the end off the stick, bored a hole, placed a film canister inside and used a toothpick to hold the end on. The only reason I found it was because I sat down to think right next to it. When I looked at it, the area was well maintained enough that no other big sticks were on the ground.

#2: Magnetic sign material (the flexible kind that is cut out and used as fridge magnets or is put on car doors for advertising) was cut in the shape of an arrow and placed over the arrow on a "one way" street sign. The log was taped to the back of it. After searching for magnetic key holders and under rocks, etc, my fellow cacher noticed a slight warp in the arrow. :(

Two excellent and well done hides.

Found a beer bottle cap with the container and log glued to it so that you could just stick it in the ground and it would look like litter. :signalviolin:

Also found a magnetic reflector that had a ziploc bag with the log in it taped on to the back. You had to slide the reflector off of the guardrail to see the cache. :wacko:

I wish I had a picture of it, but the best one I found was a light bulb. The base of it screwed off and the log was inside. It had to have taken at least 5 long searches before I realized I kept walking right by it as I inspected all the other hiding areas in the vicinity. A couple close seconds are a cache that used a rope over a branch to pull it up into the foliage and the TB lodge that Dew Crew posted a pic of.