Love The "all Finds" Pq But...

ODragon

I love the "all finds" pq but I'd really like if there was an option in the regular PQ to find caches I found in the last week/month/year.

Often I don't need all 1200+ caches I found, and would like just the last set I found over the weekend. There is no really easy way to get this w/o getting either way too many caches or not all the ones I need.

Ex, I hit 28 caches this weekend. I just want to d/l those 28. By opening and grabbing 28 pages in a row and clicking the gpx button, I get to about 8 caches before GC.com doesn't let me access it for a while. Making a pq file gives me at a minimum of 200 caches to get all 28 I did. (Picked the midpoint of them all, grabbed found only in the minimum radius of these caches to midpoint as well as found in the last 7 days).

A pq I could set that was "found by me in last 7 days" would give me just these 28 and keep server load lower (I think).

The other reason I would like this is that 1200+ caches gives me a pretty big file now. I don't need to run the 'all caches' pq weekly or monthly if I had this option. I'm at the low end of this number. There are many people with many more caches than I and I think this might help all of us. Pretty soon the all PQ will be too much for my mail account to hold.

(I know you can split it up by doing only traditional placed before/after a certain time, etc. That is helpful but not as helpful as what I'm asking for.)

Thanks for reading the ramblings...

Yeah, seems like the existing "All Finds" at once a week is probably fine, but adding a "All Finds Past 7 Days" (or 30 days, or 60 days) that could configured like the rest of the PQs to potentially run daily would be a nice addition.

Edited by kelly@9
You can already do this to an extent.

Hmmm.. From above, I did exactly what you said, actually more than what you said and still got over 200 caches.

Making a pq file gives me at a minimum of 200 caches to get all 28 I did. (Picked the midpoint of them all, grabbed found only in the minimum radius of these caches to midpoint as well as found in the last 7 days).

Yes, I know there are many ways to almost get what I'm asking for but not quite as easy or direct. And it still doesn't get to the issue of PQ size with the 'all finds'. My suggestion would at least help with that.

Wow, please read my request again.

No, GSAK can't make a gpx file for caches that aren't already in it's database.

I read your post. You're already getting your caches by PQ, so the caches are in there (or can be if you check for them to be included). Once they're in GSAK, its easy to get the data you are looking for.

I read your post.  You're already getting your caches by PQ, so the caches are in there (or can be if you check for them to be included).  Once they're in GSAK, its easy to get the data you are looking for.

Then apparently there is a communications error. I don't want to get large pqs. I want to get small pqs from Geocaching.com.

You have more caches than me, so I'm guessing your "all find" pq is pretty big, probably bigger than mine (mine is about 3 megs and growing). Allowing us to essentially filter which of the finds we get will allow us to use the server more effeciently.

The "all finds" pq is nice to run every couple of months but running it weekly is a wasted burden for most.

I did 28 caches. I want to mass d/l these 28 caches, not create a bookmark to get them, not create a generic pq that will give me the 28 I want + 200 more. Currently, there is no way to do that other than by clicking them all seperately (which locks me out for what it thinks is spidering) so that's a real pain.

I estimate that by 2,500 finds my pq will get to the point that it will be too large for my inbox to handle. Yes, I know, get gmail or something else but I can't see why it would be such an issue to add what I'm asking.

The servers seem to have issues (I know PQ server is different) but anything that can be done to keep them all working the best, is a great idea, isn't it?

... You have more caches than me, so I'm guessing your "all find" pq is pretty big, probably bigger than mine (mine is about 3 megs and growing). Allowing us to essentially filter which of the finds we get will allow us to use the server more effeciently.

The "all finds" pq is nice to run every couple of months but running it weekly is a wasted burden for most. ...

I don't have that problem because the 'all finds' PQ was a PQ that I only needed to run once. Once I had a file of all the old caches that I found, I can add to it through my normal PQs because they contain my recent finds. It is only the old, archived caches that I needed the 'all finds' PQ for.

I have several different databases in GSAK, but most of the caches I seek on a regular basis are in my "Default" database.

After a day of caching, I use one of the caches I found as the "Center Point." I click "Found" for each of the caches I found that day. If I cached in a couple of different areas, I might have to create a second or third "Center Point" so I don't miss any.

Then I do a "Filter" for my "Found" caches making sure the number in that filter agrees with the number in my "Found" folder in Cachemate on my Palm.

Then, I double click in GSAK to open each cache page and go online to log my find.

Finally I "Move" those "Found" caches to my "Found" database in GSAK.

Doing this means I don't have to run the "All Finds" PQ because I keep the original one up-to-date. :unsure:

Yes GSAK can do it if you have already downloaded all the waypoints already, but not everybody want to do it that way.

What I think would be very useful is to expand upon this idea a bit. Say you could create a PQ where you could select a cache were a certain log type had been posted (found, not found, etc...) within a user defined number of days, by themselves or by anybody.