What Annoys You About The Forums?

They do and some voice it on the mod account, others will do it under their normal account, but trust me, one way or another they let you know how they feel about something.

The mods are sock puppets.....I feel so used now! I thought they were real people! Somehow everything makes more sense now. ;):D

Anyhow Back On Topic -- Personal conversations between 2 people in the middle of threads drives me crazy.

Top 5 Forum Peeves: By Airmapper Letterman.

5: Public reviewer complaints

4: Know-it-all newbies, one cache find and their an expert.

3: The same topics over and over and over again.

2: Did I mention the same topics over and over again?

And the #1 pet forum peeve is:

Newbie after newbie saying, "I can't seem to search for some reason." "search doesn't work for some reason." "I can't search is it a premium feature."

My personal beef:

Original Poster (OP):  Who/what/why question, typically cache approval related

Forum Regular 1: Answer

Forum Regular 2: Answer from a different angle

Various other posters (VOP):  confirming FR1/FR2

OP:  You don't get it!  Re-asks same question, with angst

VOP:  You have the correct answer already

Approver:  Yep.

OP:  Argh!  What I am asking is <repeat question>

3 pages later

OP:  GAH!  SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!

What he said.

People who don't bring the good whine, just the grocery store crap in a box with a spout, or a big jugs with  screw on tops. And the cheez that gets served with that crap, don't even get me started on that. :unsure:  :)  :D  :unsure:

edit spelink, cuz it botherz sum peeple :D

Hey! Some people like that boxed stuff (paging Dr. Pip), and what exactly do you have against big jugs? :D

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
I hate posts that add nothing to the thread.  :unsure:

Un huh! Like when people post only this

sig_popcorn.gif

and nothing else.

It certainly doesnt add anything interesting or constructive to the thread. Actually, to me this seems to send out an invitation for even more angst. :unsure:

Edited by Mudfrog
I hate posts that add nothing to the thread.  :unsure:

Un huh! Like when people post only this

sig_popcorn.gif

and nothing else.

It certainly doesnt add anything interesting or constructive to the thread. Actually, to me this seems to send out an invitation for even more angst. :unsure:

Why not a rat eating popcorn

Edited by JohnnyVegas

It's such a downer when people don't bother to log that they took a bug or coin from a cache. I think only one of every three listed bugs is ever in the cache it says it is. Seriously, how hard can it be? You made your log entry, make your bug/coin entry. I couldn't care less if a cache has a trackable in it, but it's annoying when it's not there and makes one hesitate to ever release trackables when they just disappear so fast. Ok...wow... I DO feel better! :unsure: thanks for thread!

well I know this isn't specifically about forums, but it is a subject that shows up again and again!

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

What I can't stand is all these loggers who have been here for a long time and are all smug and derogatory to anyone that doesn't believe what they do. All they do is complain about:

caches

Moderartors

Reviewers

GC.com

NOOBs

Hides to easy

hides to hard

hides

Cmon! Ok we get it, you have been doing this for awhile and are ever SOOOOO experienced, doesn't mean you gotta turn into a giant Dork ridiculing everything else.

If everything is so bad then shut up and find another hobby, like poking bears with short sticks, or walking into biker bars in a tutu, or maybe something daring like swimming in a meat suit in shark infested waters.

One type of annoying post that I see way too often is someone making a pun/joke because they saw their username used in a sentence.

For example, someone might post the sentence, “I hate finding micros in the middle of the woods.”

Six posts down you see a post by a cacher named “MiddleoftheWoods87” that is something like, “Hey, why do you hate finding micros in me?”

Clever. :unsure:

What annoys me most about the forums isn't the angst, the banned members, the discussion or even the warnings.

It's the use of information as power by withholding it. "We know something you don't, shut up, and get over it, you don't need to know, you just need to comply".

Some reviewers and mods have this issue. They act like being helpful and sharing some of their knowledge is personally distasteful and that we are nothing more than trailer trash in a 5 star establishment unworthy of such profound knowledge.

Fortunately this has destroyed their credibility and so when they are wading in a thread being unhelpful and causing hate and discontent, it's generally amusing. Right up until they mistreat a newbie.

One type of annoying post that I see way too often is someone making a pun/joke because they saw their username used in a sentence.

Its funny that the things that bug some people are the things that make the forums worth while to others. On a few occasions, a thread has gotten really angsty and someone like Criminal would lighten the mood in just the way you described.

The act of injecting a bit of humor into the forums through this type of comment or the use of :) or :unsure: or :unsure: or the famous 'I accept your apology' or whatever makes the forums.

If it was all advice and whining, most of us would have given up on the forums long ago.

Some reviewers and mods have this issue.  They act like being helpful and sharing some of their knowledge is personally distasteful and that we are nothing more than trailer trash in a 5 star establishment unworthy of such profound knowledge.

I give this place 3 1/2 stars. Tops. We don't even get good room service, after all.

Edited by sbell111

i dislike the way feelings and thoughts sometimes dont come across properly over the net.

a few days ago, i made a post that at first may seem like i was complaining, but it was actually more about getting more reviewers and lightening the load for everyone. well of course everyone just comes in and tells me to be patient. i dont think more than 3 or 4 people actually read my original post. of course i made other posts in the same thread to clarify the point, but no one actually read them either. just bashing me for bashing the reviewers, and i also received a few emails bashing me for complaining about the job a volunteer is doing. maybe it was a bad title, maybe i shouldnt have mentioned being impatient myself, but a lil comprehention on the parts of a few people wouldve done a world of good.

honestly, if i didnt enjoy geocaching so much, i wouldve been turned away from it by the words of some emails ive gotten since the beginning of my posting here in the forums. not speaking of my latest post, but some way back when i started and the emails i received from a few people because of them. luckily im a really easy going guy and laugh them off. but some people on these forums are really mean. :unsure:

which brings me to the second thing i dislike about internet forums. internet warriors. its easy to talk big behind a computer.

What annoys me most about the forums isn't the angst, the banned members, the discussion or even the warnings.

It's the use of information as power by withholding it. "We know something you don't, shut up, and get over it, you don't need to know, you just need to comply".

Some reviewers and mods have this issue. They act like being helpful and sharing some of their knowledge is personally distasteful and that we are nothing more than trailer trash in a 5 star establishment unworthy of such profound knowledge.

Fortunately this has destroyed their credibility and so when they are wading in a thread being unhelpful and causing hate and discontent, it's generally amusing. Right up until they mistreat a newbie.

This is MY biggest pet peave. It happens too much around here, and is the norm on my local board. Its pretty sad when a person needs to pull this type of cr**p just to make

themselves feel important, etc.

I think the issue for alot of us is the people who are the elitists who think that everything should be the way they want it and to disagree is to be a scrub. they also feel that no one should ask any questions they may have been asked before. Hello! That's what forums are for. To discuss new things and for new people to learn new strategies for hunting caches and how to use the web site. It is that way on every web forum you go into. So you seasoned vets of this game get used to it.

From Get it Write:

Another use for the ellipsis is to indicate that a sentence trails off, unfinished: "We thought the doors were locked, but just to be sure . . ." This type of terminal ellipsis always consists of three spaced dots, rather than four, with no space between the last dot and the closing quotation marks. However, we should generally avoid this construction in expository writing, including business writing, because in such contexts we want our thoughts to be clear and complete. An unfinished, incomplete construction is more appropriate in informal or creative writing.

Occasionally we encounter writers who use ellipses widely and without discretion in place of other punctuation marks. Such usage is always inappropriate in professional contexts. Not only does the writer appear vague and uncertain (even, perhaps, as if he or she is not confident about using other marks of punctuation), but the writing is difficult to read in the absence of more appropriate punctuation.

© 2005 Get It Write

Just being pedantic.