What Annoys You About The Forums?

There's been many contentious, even divisive topics rolling around the forums lately. Many readers have noticed what seems to be a growing sense of negativity here, and so I thought I might start a thread where we can get all the negative vibes out of our system. If it irritates, annoys, frustrates, or just plain bugs you, bring it here. I'll start it off:

1. "Nothing to see here. Move along" (or otherwise trying to close a thread they view as "finished"

I mean, who are you to say there's nothing to see? If you have nothing to add YOU move along. Others may still be discussing! I also find it ironic that someone would waste time posting to a topic by saying people should STOP posting to the topic!

2. General reviewer angst

How long till my cache gets published? Why can't I place my cache 350' from another? Why isn't 3 days enough time to post an event? Look- you get what you pay for! These people are VOLUNTEERS! It's amazing the flak that get for freely giving of their time.

3. "Why don't you folks stop griping and go out and find some caches?"

Look, we know there's caches out there to find. We know how to run Pocket Queries. Perhaps, at that particular moment, we would prefer to TALK about caching rather than ACTUALLY cache. What's it to you anyway? Again, it's ironic that YOU'D waste time telling me to stop talking and go caching, instead of going and finding some caches YOURSELF!

4. "The forums just stress me out. They're just so negative."

How can discussion stress you out? Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are being negative! I just can't imagine how utterly boring the forums would be if we all just agreed with each other. It's an exchange of ideas and opinions. How can that EVER be negative?

5. Angst- the word

I have a lot of angst about the overuse of the word "angst." We need some synonyms, people!

Well, that's just a start. I'm sure I'll think of plenty more. Annoy us all with your forum complaints!

EDIT to correct spelling of divisive <_<

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

Well, I tried to switch to anguish once.... This place is just too negative, why don't you just go find some caches? And quit using forum space that my reviewer will spend time reading. She is probably ignoring all the caches here because of that. Really, move along, nothing to see here.... <_<B):P

I dislike spelling errors. BTW, you misspelled "divisive" in your first sentence. <_< Actually, only egregious spelling and grammatical errors annoy me. For the record, I'm not attacking any particular person and in no way do I think I am perfect. But here it goes:

Why the heck can't people spell Magellan (Megallen, Magelin)? And recently someone referred to the eTrex Legend as the Ledgend, or something like that.

And what's with misspelling geocaching (geocashing, geocache, geocash)? Jeezaloo, don't people pay attention to the name of the website they use to play this game? TPTB know that people misspell the name of the game. If you look at the source code for the home page at www.geocaching.com, you will see that one of the keywords is "geocashing."

<_< I hate mean people and posers who like fake stuff.

My turn on's are walks on the beach and friendly people :P

Seriously, Mispellin,mizspeeling, mis... ahhh words not done right.

Ok really seriously, The negativity is sometimes a downer. For people that are so fanatic about a great game that involves so much (ie: problem solving, land navigation, and phisical fitness) are so down on the other players and govenors of the game. It is a volunteer sport and it is being run mostly by volunteers so I don't see what the real gripe is.

Ok, yes I have only been doing this for a short while, but have followed it for more than a year and have as of yet had a bad experience. Yea some of the caches could be done better, but what do you expect from somehthing that is being done by novices and experts alike. I'll bet my first cache is nothing to cheer about, but I am proud of it, and if you think back, I'll bet your first cache was no screamer either, but we all get better. I just love all the new areas I am going to and realizing that there is something there (the cache) that only a "select" few know about. It is truely awsome.

So if I can say anything, it's think back to when you started this and remember the enthusiasm you had then and get it back and stop complaining.

carleenp Posted: Jan 22 2006, 10:47 AM

Well, I tried to switch to anguish once....

I bared my fangst once too-- didn't cache on either...<_<

Honestly, the truth is that I don't mind the negativity. It balances out with the positive threads of information posted, the camraderie of people all around the world talking about a common interest, the noticing of cool stuff and cool people that happens through all levels of the game, etc. It's a window on the world, and if the forums were any other way, I'd be disappointed.

I don't always comment in the debates, but I usually read most of them. The different levels of maturity are amusing (and not all geocachers posting in the forums have the same level of maturity all the time -- a good thing, too). The airing of differences is healthy. If I had one pet peeve about the forums though, it would be this: people who geocide over something in the forums, some other cacher's personality or a policy Groundspeak policy. I think they are missing the whole point of the game. I like to go caching. I like to read the forums. I like an informative thread. I like a fur flying rumble once in a while too. It's fun to watch, and sometimes really fun to dive into... I just don't take the heat too personally. After all, we're really in it to talk about the myriad ways to find tupperware boxes filled with McTrash in the midst of all the muggles out there who aren't in on the joke, right?

My personal beef:

Original Poster (OP): Who/what/why question, typically cache approval related

Forum Regular 1: Answer

Forum Regular 2: Answer from a different angle

Various other posters (VOP): confirming FR1/FR2

OP: You don't get it! Re-asks same question, with angst

VOP: You have the correct answer already

Approver: Yep.

OP: Argh! What I am asking is <repeat question>

3 pages later

OP: GAH! SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!

Edited by New England n00b
My personal beef:

3 pages later

Aaaaagh!!!

*chews fingernails*

My personal beef:

3 pages later

Excellent! You just broke down quite a few threads... <_<

I agree with the spelling mistake folk.

Now, all you free-thinking typists, don't get all bunched in a knot. It's like reading gobbled oatmeal to read some of the posts.

"It's what I say, not how I say it." Geeze louise, it's PAINFUL to try to figure out what you are saying. And I'm not talking about the deliberate attempt to include a regional sound to your posts. It's just plain lazy and ignorant and stupid and the reason why America is no longer a great nation.....

;)

Sorry, got carried away. (But I do dislike some of the misspelled posts!)

I agree with the spelling mistake folk.

Now, all you free-thinking typists, don't get all bunched in a knot. It's like reading gobbled oatmeal to read some of the posts.

"It's what I say, not how I say it." Geeze louise, it's PAINFUL to try to figure out what you are saying. And I'm not talking about the deliberate attempt to include a regional sound to your posts. It's just plain lazy and ignorant and stupid and the reason why America is no longer a great nation.....

;)

Sorry, got carried away. (But I do dislike some of the misspelled posts!)

It is so difficult to read long posts in all caps, that I give up a quarter of the way through. It all starts swimming before my eyes.

People who don't bring the good whine, just the grocery store crap in a box with a spout, or a big jugs with screw on tops. And the cheez that gets served with that crap, don't even get me started on that. :D:D:D;)

edit spelink, cuz it botherz sum peeple :D

Edited by wimseyguy

The fact that th is a only a game, hobby, past time, what ever you want to call it, and that some people treat it WAY to seriously. It doesn't mean that my kids will go to school without lunch money or I will lose my job if I don't get a cache approved, or somebody has a problem with one of my caches.

That reviewers/mods/approvers never give an opinion but answer by the book. Surely you guys have a opinion. (and don't call me Shirley! - old but good). You don't have to be yesmen/ladies all of the time do you? ;)

You haven't been here long. So let me assure you...they have opinions and aren't afraid to voice them.

El Diablo

The fact that th is a only a game, hobby, past time, what ever you want to call it, and that some people treat it WAY to seriously. It doesn't mean that my kids will go to school without lunch money or I will lose my job if I don't get a cache approved, or somebody has a problem with one of my caches.

That's clearly because you are not a pro

edit- too slow to post without quote for context

Edited by Confuse-A-Cat
That reviewers/mods/approvers never give an opinion but answer by the book. Surely you guys have a opinion. (and don't call me Shirley! - old but good). You don't have to be yesmen/ladies all of the time do you?  ;)

You haven't been here long. So let me assure you...they have opinions and aren't afraid to voice them.

El Diablo

They do and some voice it on the mod account, others will do it under their normal account, but trust me, one way or another they let you know how they feel about something.

My #1 peeve about the forums: People answering technical questions when they don't have the faintest idea about the correct answer. Of course, my favorite question that seems to incite this behavior is "Should I use WAAS?"

Naturally, I have on more than one occasion shot my mouth off as well. That's to be expected. ;)