Collecting Vs In The Wild!

gridlox

Lying in bed this morning trying to wake up I had this brainstorm of an idea and got up chomping at the bit to design it.

(When's that GAA Meeting? <_< ) :P

With all the debate on people placing the coins in caches vs keeping them in their collections, I thought, "Why not create a "Breakable Coin"!!"

Now, I don't even know the feasibility of such a coin because I don't know the strength of the metals used to make the coins.

But it is metal and with enough bending back and forth any kind would eventually break.

But in any case, to make it easier to break, I thought you could make the breakable area recessed.

Both sides of the coin would have the same design, but just rotated 180 degrees. So, when broke, you would have a complete "half" coin.

One to keep!!

And one to place in caches!!

BreakableCoin.jpg

The problem will be.....When the cacher takes his 'half/whole' coin to an event or shares the number, Then the other 'half/whole' coin will not be logged in the cache.

It would be just like putting your copy tag on another travel bug.....

It would create confusion...Correct he if I'm wrong...But thats the way I see it !

The problem will be.....When the cacher takes his 'half/whole' coin to an event or shares the number, Then the other 'half/whole' coin will not be logged in the cache.

It would create confusion...Correct he if I'm wrong...But thats the way I see it !

{scratching head} :D Never thought of that ;)

:D That would present a problem, wouldn't it. :D

The problem will be.....When the cacher takes his 'half/whole' coin to an event or shares the number, Then the other 'half/whole'  coin will not be logged in the cache.

{scratching head} :unsure: Never thought of that :unsure:

:D That would present a problem, wouldn't it. :D

You work out the problems; I will buy the coins! :)

CF30

Thus creating a new activity where people try to find and buy the other half to make their collection complete...

I've been thinking of doing something like that with dollar bills.

Cut George in half, right up the middle and put each half in a different cache along with a note and URL to a blog.

On the blog I list what cache I put each piece in.

Then the finder can try to track down the other half, or move it to a new cache and log the movement as a comment on the blog.

The problem will be.....When the cacher takes his 'half/whole' coin to an event or shares the number, Then the other 'half/whole'  coin will not be logged in the cache.

{scratching head} :) Never thought of that :)

:) That would present a problem, wouldn't it. :D

If both halves use the the same number yea that would be a problem.

But why would anyone be trying to log both halves? It'd be like the 'replicator' TBs, doesn't really track anything, just ticks Groundspeak off.

It's a cute concept, but I think in reality would be a bad idea. I think anything that you might come up with in this design would be a danger because of possible sharp edges when they where broken apart. I think just making a 1/2 a coin design that would fit with its copy to make a whole, and then minting duplicate numbers would be a much easier solution.

--Marky

P.S. There are no original ideas. I know of a design that I heard about a few weeks ago that had this very same concept of two coins with the same tracking number. :)