Garmin 60csx Observations

Didjerrydo

Boy was I disappointed! My older 76Cs brought me to within 6 feet doing the same thing. The new, just out of the box 76csx brought me 58 to 75 feet away! ( Could not really tell because the unit kept pointing me to walk out into the middle of a busy street. Then I went and sat on the BM and calibrated the altimeter. This was a bit better, only about 5-8 feet off. While I put the GPSr on the BM surface it was still saying that the location for the BM was 60 feet away.

I turned on WAAS and at one point it showed all sat's with D's. Accuracy it reported on screen was 6-9 feet. But it was way off physically from the BM.

I turned WAAS off again after that.

Sooo is this as good as it gets with this firmware? If so that sucks!

What good is a fast acquire of the signal if it takes you to the wrong place?

Hmmm, not sure why it acted that poorly. Maybe try installing the previous firmware v.2.60 vs. the beta and let us know if there is an improvement. And perhaps let it "bake" again for a good long time to reacquire a new almanac. Your 76CSX should do as well or better than your 76CS.

I've had my 60CX for about two months now, and it is as accurate as my 60C has been with typically no more than 4'-6' positions on surveyed points such as benchmarks. A lot of times they both zero out on my survey control points. I use both units w/WAAS enabled and mostly with an external antenna. WAAS has been flaky lately with the moving of Garmin #35 for me in NE NY, but just this past Monday (3/27) I had WAAS lock with #33 (which is bizzare because it is so far east and low for me).

I was surveying using our Trimble Pathfinder sub-meter unit and my 60CX agreed to all 37 points I staked to within 4'-6'. Interestingly the majority of my 60CX points trended this distance in the same direction to the south.

Boy was I disappointed! My older 76Cs brought me to within 6 feet doing the same thing. The new, just out of the box 76csx brought me 58 to 75 feet away! ( Could not really tell because the unit kept pointing me to walk out into the middle of a busy street. Then I went and sat on the BM and calibrated the altimeter. This was a bit better, only about 5-8 feet off. While I put the GPSr on the BM surface it was still saying that the location for the BM was 60 feet away.

Are you sure you are using the same map datum setting on both units?

Are you sure you are using the same map datum setting on both units?

I went back to my trusty Benchmark and tried again tonight... and on the way home I was beginning to wonder about datum and settings myself...

When I entered the waypoint for all of the Benchmarks I had left it in the default datum (WGS 84) when I entered them. Even though they are NAD83 coordinates. However, when I go to find them, I switch the unit to NAD83 and start off the find waypoint while in NAD83.

Should I be entering them in while I have it in NAD83 mode? Have I added error to the mix by entering them in while the unit is in WGS 84? I thought that it really did not matter what mode you were in when you entered the data, as long as you were in the correct mode when you went looking for it.

But if that is the case, I don't understand why the previous unit was so gosh darn dead on. No wandering, 6 feet off max as I made my rounds past the 4 different bench marks that are on my walking route.

When I take a look at the track log while I had the unit sitting on top of the bench mark for 10 minutes the thing was jumping all over the place. You could distinctly see the Benchmark waypoint 50 or so feet away (to the south east) I created a waypoint with 150 samples while it was sitting on top of the bench mark and then did a goto the bench mark and it told me on the screen that I was 62 feet way.

I am going to retry at one of the other BMarks nearby that has no tree cover and full views for about 300 degrees around it.

Altitude calibration was off too tonight too. Unit said 354 feet while the Bench mark is 328.6. I recalibrated the altimeter using the BM and then went to the next one and checked it and the newly calibrated unit was off by 4-5 feet. The old 76Cs was only off by 1-2 feet after calibration.

Should I be entering them in while I have it in NAD83 mode? Have I added error to the mix by entering them in while the unit is in WGS 84? I thought that it really did not matter what mode you were in when you entered the data, as long as you were in the correct mode when you went looking for it.

The datum set for the GPSr determines how the coordinates are displayed and how input coordinates are interpreted, so it is important to know the datum for the original coordinates when entering them into the GPSr (or into Mapsource for that matter). That said, as other posters have indicated, there probably isn't any difference in WGS84 and NAD83 at the resolution of the GPSr display; to double check this, just look at an existing waypoint while switching between datums, and note whether or not the displayed coordinates change.

Without inside information, let's think for a moment what these two features have in common. They both need to be implement something that's computationally simple while the GPS is "off". Maybe they work by putting the unit into a sleep and waking it up once every few seconds. They compare the current time to the alarm time or turn on the barometer, read it, and then go back to bed. Well, unless the alarm triggers then it goes into full "turn on the screen and wake up" mode.

It's probably not a coincidence that both of the features of the C series that use this disappeared at the same time. This points more to "hmmm, the 2006 era component set doesn't have that feature" than "ooops, we left it out of the build".

I used the clock a few times and never used the barometer, so I won't personally miss these features but I understand why some of you are bummed about it.

RIGHT !!!

all clocking, satellite receiver, position calculation is build in that SIRF III (see SIRF III page) :laughing: . anything else in the unit is: batteries, microSD, buttons, nice color display, and functions like: drowing a map, nice icons on the screen, ... and so on :laughing: .

anything related to "clock" is off while SIRF is not powered. Maybe SIRF is consuming some power and leaving it up and running is like not turning off the unit at all ;) .

Dan

I am new to geocaching and have had my 60Csx for about two weeks now. This is my first GPSr so I have nothing to compare it to. I haven't had any problems with it yet and have had accuracy down to 9ft in the best conditions. It would be helpful to have the autorouting tones louder. I just bought a 1Gb card for it and loaded 600mb of City Select (v7) maps into it with a card reader this morning in about 10 minutes. Seems to work fine. I did download the firmware 2.60 version from Garmin's site previously. It would also be nice if they could get it to talk to GSAK without having to go through Mapsource.

Edited by C5John

I am new to geocaching and have had my 60Csx for about two weeks now. This is my first GPSr so I have nothing to compare it to. I haven't had any problems with it yet and have had accuracy down to 9ft in the best conditions. It would be helpful to have the autorouting tones louder. I just bought a 1Gb card for it and loaded 600mb of City Select (v7) maps into it with a card reader this morning in about 10 minutes. Seems to work fine. I did download the firmware 2.60 version from Garmin's site previously. It would also be nice if they could get it to talk to GSAK without having to go through Mapsource.

You can interface directly with GSAK (GSAK actually uses GPSBabel behind the scenes for GPSr integration) if you use the appropriate Garmin serial cable. I picked one up for under $35. I do it all the time and it works great.

You can interface directly with GSAK (GSAK actually uses GPSBabel behind the scenes for GPSr integration) if you use the appropriate Garmin serial cable. I picked one up for under $35. I do it all the time and it works great.

FYI you don't even need a special serial cable anymore. Just use a regular USB cable. GSAK will send waypoints through the USB connection.

GeoBC

FYI you don't even need a special serial cable anymore. Just use a regular USB cable. GSAK will send waypoints through the USB connection.

GeoBC

Ummmm, there isn't a new version of GPS Babel or GSAK that I could find... so how exactly are you making the USB connection work with GSAK on one of the new "x" series GPS's like the GPSMAP 60CSx that is being discussed here?

USB will work for non "x" models, but since Garmin changed their USB communication protocol for the "x" models, GPS Babel isn't currently working with them... he's working on it though, so hopefully soon we'll see an update! :(

USB will work for non "x" models, but since Garmin changed their USB communication protocol for the "x" models, GPS Babel isn't currently working with them... he's working on it though, so hopefully soon we'll see an update! ;)

Doh. Sorry, I didn't realize that. I was basing my post on my experience with my 76C.

Why did they change their USB comm protocol?

My new 60CSx will be arriving in a couple of weeks. It would be annoying to have to go back to serial everytime I wanted to download waypoints to it. I suppose I could go thru Mapsource to do it, but still...

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

Doh. Sorry, I didn't realize that. I was basing my post on my experience with my 76C.

My new 60CSx will be arriving in a couple of weeks. It would be annoying to have to go back to serial everytime I wanted to download waypoints to it. I suppose I could go thru Mapsource to do it, but still...

GeoBC

The protocal was changed, to work with the Garmin POI Loader, I believe, to be more like the Streetpilots for this function to work. <My guess.

Edited by GOT GPS?

USB will work for non "x" models, but since Garmin changed their USB communication protocol for the "x" models, GPS Babel isn't currently working with them... he's working on it though, so hopefully soon we'll see an update! :blink:

GeoBC

You don't have to go back to using a Serial connection, you just filter tne waypoints the way you normally would in GSAK and then Export to Mapsource, something that is a good idea anyway, esepcially if you have used the Arc/Poly filter, so you can check that you actually got the caches you expected to get from the filter.

From Mapsource, you Send the waypoints to your GPSr.

Easy, peasy. ;)

The thing that puzzles me is the shifting position. Makes me long for an option to turn off the trip computer. After an hour of sitting perfectly still on a table, it claimed to have gone a tight circular jaunt of over 500'.

My 60Cx took a several kilometre run at almost 300kph across town the other day while sitting on my desk, now *THAT* was strange.

BC

I truly can't explain why one Garmin unit like the 76c would be so much closer in accuracy to a known benchmark or to a surveyor's point than a Garmin 60cx. That boggles me. I would assume that manufactures would use similiar algorythms across their product lines and therefore would have consistent results. But I know from games we have played at Georgia Geocacher's Association meetings that thirty five people with all kinds of makes and models of GPSRs come up with radically different locations if given the same coordinates. Throw in tree cover and the odds get worse. When the point is in an open field with good view of the horizon the vast majority of the units are within the 3 meter circle but I have seen a few that had low epe's that calculated the coordinates to be at least 20 feet away from the others.

I did have a personal observation on Saturday. I was caching in downtown Atlanta and consistently found that several caches were twenty to thirty feet off the mark. I didn't think much about it because as a cacher you never know just how diligent the placer was in obtaining good coordinates. Did they leave the gpsr in the spot for five minutes or 5 seconds before recording the coordinates? Do they know which end of the gpsr to hold and which way their antenna is biased towards (level or pointed up)? Did tall buildings reflect signal?

That night I stumbled up the Coast Guard site that is responsible for civillian use of gpsr's and found a US map that had a blue shaded area directly over Georgia and Alabama. It was really hard to understand what the map meant but it seemed to indicate that the government believed that readings in this geographic area would be affected by a service problem. I was tired and didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

IF you understand what I was looking at please feel free to post an explanation. I would love to read it. I would prefer to hear from somebody that actually understands and not some 18 year old who just likes to see his posts on this board. No offense to any rocket scientist 18 year olds but we have all seen that posted response to a serious question that just screams "Hey I don't have a clue but I'm going to offer my 2 cents."

My basic questions would be 1) how often are we as users of gpsr's subjected to service outages from a satellite or two and then blame the unit for being inaccurate? (fyi: anything under 3 meters in my book is dead on) and 2) why do two units often show radically different results?

The thing that puzzles me is the shifting position. Makes me long for an option to turn off the trip computer. After an hour of sitting perfectly still on a table, it claimed to have gone a tight circular jaunt of over 500'.

My 60Cx took a several kilometre run at almost 300kph across town the other day while sitting on my desk, now *THAT* was strange.

BC

Many of the stories I've been reading lately about the SiRF chip being too sensitive and recording movement while actually sitting still have occurred while indoors. Do these units still do this while outside and having an average or better satellite lock?

Some of you may remember the days when the Magellan gps315 was quite popular but had a very bad problem detecting movement. When you stopped moving it would go into it's "averaging mode" and to break out of it the user would almost have to start running for it to sense movement. That's when the "Hulawave" was created. (While holding the 315 in hand, wave your arms crazily in a large, fast circular motion. :ph34r:) Magellan fixed it with a firmware update then all was good.

There is probably a happy medium in there somewhere but I personally would prefer the sensitivity over the other.

Cheers, Olar

Edited by Olar
Many of the stories I've been reading lately about the SiRF chip being too sensitive and recording movement while actually sitting still have occurred while indoors. Do these units still do this while outside and having an average or better satellite lock?

As long as you hold the 60Cx vertically while outside, the wandering is minimized quite a bit, and it will give an excellent tracklog of trails, but I have not tried it yet with the leaves out yet, and that will be in a week or so when the leaves start growing.

i just got a 128mb card to replace my stock 64mb card that came in my 60csx. how come i cant load maps to the unit directly? it starts to send the map info to the gps but then it locks up. i ended up just loading it via a card reader.

any ideas? do i need to format the card first to get it to load via the gps?

As long as you hold the 60Cx vertically while outside, the wandering is minimized quite a bit, and it will give an excellent tracklog of trails, but I have not tried it yet with the leaves out yet, and that will be in a week or so when the leaves start growing.

Hi,

I've held my 60CSx a few minutes vertically while outside, say 3 or 4 minutes, with good satellite reception, and I was happy to discover that after an odometer reset, it hardly moved and wandered from its initial point.

I've tried this several times, and I confirm that the wandering is much reduced with good reception, and probably most of all, with reception of straight signal (low or no reflection).

Still to be experimented under tree cover with the leaves out. Haven't had the opportunity yet.

pyt22fr

Hi,

I've held my 60CSx a few minutes vertically while outside, say 3 or 4 minutes, with good satellite reception, and I was happy to discover that after an odometer reset, it hardly moved and wandered from its initial point.

I've tried this several times, and I confirm that the wandering is much reduced with good reception, and probably most of all, with reception of straight signal (low or no reflection).

Still to be experimented under tree cover with the leaves out. Haven't had the opportunity yet.

pyt22fr

I want to mention that the wandering could be reduced at the older CS unit with the "speedfilter" under "Setup"->"Marine". This setting is no longer available at the CSX or CX. I believe they will need some time to configure this correctly for the SIRF chip, but I hope this will appear again with a later firmware. Edited by NewZealand

Well, I just got my CSX and am incredibly impressed.

I am sitting here in my brick house receiving 10 satellites with 18 foot accuracy. (edit 11 sats, 17ft accuracy)

So far I have noticed that the backlight is a bit brighter which is a nice bonus.

I have not yet bought a microSD card, but that will come in the future. My main motivation for buying this unit is that it has the new sensitive receiver which already has me tickled pink! Being able to load more maps once I get a new card will be fantastic.

As Garmin continues to improve the firmware and fix bugs, this thing will only get better and better!

Edited by YuccaPatrol

v.2.5 has been fine for me as well on my 60CX. No problems at all!

For those that have not seen much of WAAS lately it has nothing to do with Firmware updates it is because satelites and particularly the statelite that covers east coast USA is being moved and it will be fall 2006 before the new replacement will be in place.

My signal has not been quite as good as last year since the move was under way and I am way out there as far east in Maine as it gets. In the fall when the new satelite is online and in position expect excellent reception. More details can be found searching the web.

Been reading this thread for sometime. I have been pretty happy with my 60CSx so far. This was an upgrade from the Garmin Vista.

The observations I have are:

1) I find the rocker button to move to the right is at times difficult as it tends to either go up or down. Not sure if this is Hardware or User error but easily solved by paying closer attention to just how I'm pressing the button.

2) I have seen some wandering but tends to be when I'm inside the house, which is understandable in a room with only one window.

3) Been happy with the accuracy even under tree cover or inside buildings as I can get estimated accuracy down to 3M or 9 feet(in the open) which is all I expected.

4) I have seen some elevation jumps but mostly within the 1st few seconds of turning on the unit.

All in all seems like there is always room for improvment but for what I use it for I have been pretty happy.

Just an FYI:

I got my 1 gb microSD card yesterday and loaded 909mb of maps on my 60csx using MapSource last night. Ran without a hitch.

:P

can one load say all the western states city maps into 1 gig card?

i have yet to buy any maps other then i have tried the NG topo for utah..

how much can be fit on to the 1 gig

also i am guesing one needs a special card reader for the micro Sd?

Edited by klien

the other day while caching i lost all elevation details. i had to power cycle the gps to get it to work again. i havent had accuracy any better than 15ft, and have never received a waas signal. other than that, i love this thing.

The first is a well known bug for these units. The accuracy thing - are you describing what the accuracy on the unit says, or by comparison to a benchmark? It's been observed by a lot of people here that the Sirf based Garmins seem to be a lot more conservative on the EPE calculations, although the actual accuracy will be similar or better. WAAS is probably mostly due to your location - most of the NE US does not have good WAAS coverage (particularly from the ground) right now. I used to get good WAAS signals on my VistaC, but not currently.

Keith

Anyone having problems with the power button on the 60csx?

Just got mine today - and having a heck of a time getting it to power on or off.

It doesn't seem to depend on how hard I press it. Still trying to figure out if there's some special technique.

If I can't discover a reliable technique, I guess it'll have to go back.

Just got mine today - and having a heck of a time getting it to power on or off.

It doesn't seem to depend on how hard I press it. Still trying to figure out if there's some special technique.

you have to hold the button in momentarily to turn it on and off.

I know it is no scientific study and there are not enough data points to make any conclusive statements, but. . . . .

I took my new 60CSX geocaching last weekend for the first time. I found 5 caches and it brought me within 3 feet of three of these caches and less than 10 feet from the others. These were all in heavy tree cover too!

you have to hold the button in momentarily to turn it on and off.

After some experimentation, I'm happy to report I seem to be able to power my 60CSx unit on and off. Wow.

What I've discovered over the last day is that I need to push in the button with the entire surface of my index finger. Just using the nail - no matter how far or how long I depress - just doesn't seem to work. Guess the thing requires some real commitment.

I'm also happy to report that battery consumption appears to be much better than my (now busted) eTrex Venture. Used it for ~3 hours yesterday and it showed full bars on the battery (had the battery type set to NiMH in the setup menu).

Now anxious to see the GPSBabel USB support to come on-line for Google Earth and my Mac...

Just an FYI:

I got my 1 gb microSD card yesterday and loaded 909mb of maps on my 60csx using MapSource last night. Ran without a hitch.

:)

can one load say all the western states city maps into 1 gig card?

i have yet to buy any maps other then i have tried the NG topo for utah..

how much can be fit on to the 1 gig

also i am guesing one needs a special card reader for the micro Sd?

Before I sent my 60CSx back to Garmin for repair more than two weeks ago, I was using a 1GB SanDisk Micro SD card in the 60CSx. I had the following mapping software loaded on the card: from MapSource U.S. Topo, all of HI, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, UT, NM, ID, MT, CO, WY, VT, NH, ME, MA, CT and RI; and from City Navigator North America Ver. 7, all of the foregoing States plus all of British Columbia, Alberta, and the Canadian Maritime Provinces.

I loaded the map data onto the MicroSD card using the SD adapter that came with the card and a USB SanDisk SD card reader. The Micro SD card worked flawlessly in the 60CSx.

I'm expecting a replacement 60CSx today. I hope that the new 60CSx will work properly! (I discussed all of my 60CSx and Garmin problems in several posts in the "60csx Elevation, Anyone ever get elevation '------' ???" thread.)

TracknQ

Kind of. I have to depress the power button on my 60CX (not a 60CSX but virtually identical) with some authority, a lot more so than my 60C, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I figured it was meant to avoid an accidental powering on if it got bumped. Pretty unlikely I know in any event.

I am having a similar experience. Thanks.

I am returning my 60csx for a replacement (amazon.com) as the power button is VERY bad. Sometimes it works fine, other times I can't get it to turn on or off at all. I still love the 60csx and am sure I just got a bad unit.

Having been through many Garmin hardware upgrades over the years my experience has always been that new models are full of bugs in the software and holes in the on board programs untill Garmin has been through a series of software upgrades. I am still waiting for a fix for the problem of my 60cs switching off after a minute or so whenever I turn on the compass :)

On the subject of external antennas, I always use one. It allows the gps to be in my pocket or on my belt and not in my hand and the reception is extremely better (instant all available satelites at max reception). Since external antennas are now so readily available and very good, If satelite reception is the main reason to buy a new x model then I would say don't. An external antenna can be placed on your hat or as I do, on an easily made metal clip attached to the shoulder strap of my pack. They all have magnetic bottoms.

Also, on the subject of position wander with the SiRF111, I use a SiRFstar3 on my pocket pc and although it has excellent locking on roads and tracks it does frequently wander about, especially when I'm standing still, I wonder if this is a feature of the new chipset ;)

Dumb question, search didn't turn up anything for me -- has anyone had battery life problems? I see some people say it is good. I had alkaline in my brand new unit -- don't know how long they lasted but seems about 5 hours. I thought I had it on 0% backlight for some of that time too. Is there something else turned on in the factory defaults that is sucking power that I need to turn off? I like tracking and some of the other features like that but will turn it off if it affects the battery that much. Thanks!

I've done a couple test with my 60Cx. I left it on constantly with alkalines first, then NiMH batts. Alkaline lasted 17 hrs, and NiMH lasted a little over 19 hrs. I did this 3 different times with roughly the same results. Under normal use in the field with a good mix of screens going and occasional backlight, it goes more like 9 to 10 hrs of constant use. Never had them drain down as quickly as you note, under any circumstances.

I've done a couple test with my 60Cx. I left it on constantly with alkalines first, then NiMH batts. Alkaline lasted 17 hrs, and NiMH lasted a little over 19 hrs. I did this 3 different times with roughly the same results. Under normal use in the field with a good mix of screens going and occasional backlight, it goes more like 9 to 10 hrs of constant use. Never had them drain down as quickly as you note, under any circumstances.

Thanks for that info. I think I was just using it heavily and probaby had backlight on when I didn't know it. On the new rechargeables, I'm still going after 5 days -- using it each day for a hike and/or cache. Backlight always off, never need it.

Go to this LINK here to get Ximage software for doing waypoint Icons and screen captures

When you download, and Install xImage, there will be a help file in the folder where xImage will install in the Start menu listed under GARMIN. The help file will have enough details, to get you started.

This is a long list of information on how to use Ximage

-

Geoff

can this (ximage) be used with any other units?

Edited by pokerace