I Need A Database

ParentsofSAM

I remember a little while back people were talking about having a database for keeping their coin records straight. I need this. I have Access but I have never used it. So if you have a database template and are willing to share this with me I wil be forever grateful.

I never thought I would get so many emails to keep straight.... ;)

Email me at parentsofsam at gmail dot com.

Thanks so much!!

;):lol::lol:;)

Being a Database Engineer, I first thought of making a database to keep track of my coins (purchases, trades, seeks, keeps) but didn't think I would get enough traffic to justify the time to put into a database. So, I created an Excel spreadsheet instead. Now I'm up to 50 columns of data that I'm tracking on coins and starting to make calculations on those columns. The spreadsheet is getting huge and even includes pictures of the coins and a copy of all email traffic associated with that coin purchase/trade. Boy I wish I would have taken the time to make a database -- even if just an Access Database. When I get some spare time, I may convert the spreadsheet to a database.

....Anthus

We decided that if we ever did another coin, that access is the way to go. Both of us are decent with access and I love to create databases and play around with it. I will see what I can come up with (if I can find time). What version of access are you using? We have an older version. Don't know if this would be a problem or not.

I might try to play around with it tonight and make one. We have Access 2003. I too made an Excel spread sheet but it is just not doing what I want it to. I want to keep everyones address and orders/trades all neat and ready for when the coins get here I can just spit out some labels and go. I think Excel has a mail merge but I do not know how to do it.

This might be a good time to go get the Access for Dummies book... <_<

@ kentuckygirls

I think using an old database with a newer version is no problem, but vice versa... this could be a problem...

Ben

There was a huge upgrade from 97 to 2000 and even 2000 to 2003. I have made Access 97 databases that needed converted to 2003. The one database had to be re-coded (I had to use VBA to get some auto processing done). So, if the db is pretty simple, you should have a problem viewing a 97 in 2003. However, if you use VBA you will most likely have issues using a 97 in 2003. Just speaking from my experience.

....Anthus

My main database choice is Oracle (way to expensive for geocoin tracking) but I am very proficient in Access 97-2003. I have created several databases in each version, as database development is my profession.

Since there is a need for such a database, I am going to begin working on an Access 2003 Geocoin Database. Please keep a look out for it in the upcoming weeks.

....Anthus

Excel and Access deal with data in the same way... they list information in tables full of columns and rows. Therefore, if you are only going to use the data for printing labels then Excel is going to be your easiest route. Databases are great, but I think it would be overkill for what you want to do. Anthus is exactly right about traffic. An Excel sheet can become gigantic and if you need to do anything with the data other than print labels it could become unmanagable. Another thing that databases are great for is if you have an easy way to import data into them. I dont believe that this is an easy feat with PayPal payments and it may not even be possible without a direct link to their database. (Not gonna happen.)

Here is my suggestion:

I have an Excel document and a Word document that can be used to print your labels. I have formated them to use Avery's 5260 lables. You will have to copy and paste the addresses into Excel and move them around so that the proper info falls under the right heading. Also I have made it so that the qty prints on the labels. I have heard that this helps when it comes time to stuff the envelopes. I will upload them soon... but it looks like FTP is down on the server I keep my stuff on. I will post a link once it comes back up.

I like to keep all kinds of info on a coin, like how many coins minted, metal, size, pics, coin designer, coin minter, original price, trackable, icon, sold out, I could go on and on. Being the data junkie that I am, I like to run statistics on this data to determine rare coins or to help with the development of a new coin. Also, if I have a list of those that purchased or traded for my coin, I may want to send out an email to all those when my next coin comes out so as to give them a first right to buy my next coin.

My spreadsheet is just getting to big right now to manage. <_<

On the bright side, I can import my spreadsheet data right into Access without a problem. :P

I like to keep all kinds of info on a coin, like how many coins minted, metal, size, pics, coin designer, coin minter, original price, trackable, icon, sold out, I could go on and on. Being the data junkie that I am, I like to run statistics on this data to determine rare coins or to help with the development of a new coin. Also, if I have a list of those that purchased or traded for my coin, I may want to send out an email to all those when my next coin comes out so as to give them a first right to buy my next coin.

My spreadsheet is just getting to big right now to manage. <_<

On the bright side, I can import my spreadsheet data right into Access without a problem. B)

You definetly need a DB for all that. :P

Well, I have SOMETHING that I did in MS Access 2003 ( someone had asked me about this - sorry, I lost your e-mail ). I did this quickly because I was losing track of what coins I had and needed to produce a trading list as well as keep track of what I was trading to whom. Not very elegant but it works for me. It has one big flaw that database administrators such as I ( an Oracle DBA of course ... that's right I said "of course" <_< ) wince at ( Mr. Codd would be unhappy with me ).

Primarily there are two tables, one for a coin inventory and another for coin trades. The coin inventory, with associated view and form, keeps track of what coins I have along with how many of that coin I have, how many I'm willing to trade, etc.

The coin trade table, with associated view and form, allows me to keep track of my trades : what coin I'm trading, what the other person is trading, their address, when I sent the coin, when I received a coin, when they received the coin, etc.

The big flaw? The two tables don't know about each other - they don't link to each other and, for that reason, when I trade a coin away, I have to update my coin inventory manually to reflect this trade.

If I had to do this over again I'd have the coin inventory table contain a row for each unique coin that I had. Then in my trading table I could refer to a given coin that I am trading away and could, thus, link both tables, making Mr. Codd a happy man. But to be honest, this works for me and I can sleep better, knowing that this db fairly accurately reflects what I have and what I'm trading. For that reason, I probably wouldn't spend much more time on it ... OK, I'm lazy too!

From the posts above, it sounds as if someone may spend serious time on a system. I'm sure that they'll put something together nice and relational. In the meantime, if you'd like to have a squint at what I have, feel free to do so and modify you your hearts content.

Oh, here's the db.

My main database choice is Oracle (way to expensive for geocoin tracking) but I am very proficient in Access 97-2003. I have created several databases in each version, as database development is my profession.

Since there is a need for such a database, I am going to begin working on an Access 2003 Geocoin Database. Please keep a look out for it in the upcoming weeks.

....Anthus

Excellent - and Thank You!

I'm interested in the same and would be willing to help "field test" it for you if you'd like.

Well, I have created a workable Access database. It works well for me. It would not be what Anthus would want. I did not include info on # minted, etc. This one is simple and is primarily used to show us whats in our collection and to keep trades organized with addresses. I can also keep track of what we bought, who we bought it from and the paypal transaction ID. I can run reports on coins to be mailed, trackable coins with tracking #'s (handy to take to events if you are so inclined), coins that we are waiting on, a list of all of the coins in our collection, a list of people we need to email to tell them that we have received their coin, and a list of people that I have traded with.

From reading this thread I might add a field for the price of the coin if its something we bought.

I don't know if one can truly create one database that would suit everyones needs.

This is downright scary! I began working on a coin tracking database in Access Friday night. I have probably 95% of the fields defined in the tables and need to finish the input forms, listings, queries, etc. I'm using Access 2003, but can convert it to a Access 2000 version when I'm done for those that have an older Access version. My version may be more than most people are interested in, but I'm tired of looking for emails of my trades, and when I purchased coins, etc. I'd be happy to share this with others when it's completed.

Edit: I see KentuckyGirls posted about 2 minutes before I did, and their database sounds a lot like what I'm working on but theirs is done. One of the feature I'm adding is the ability to enter the URL's of threads related to a particular geocoin so when you click on the link it open your default browser and takes you to the thread. I know the forum search will be fixed soon with the new software, but until then this works for me.

Edited by TMOCM

Edit: I see KentuckyGirls posted about 2 minutes before I did, and their database sounds a lot like what I'm working on but theirs is done.

Yes, ours is done, but it is also in Access '97. Thats all I have at home. <_< It is also very specific for our needs. There is nothing fancy about it.

Your Access 97 database will convert to any newer version of Access in a matter of minutes unless you have code written, it may need tweeked a bit.

Edit: I see KentuckyGirls posted about 2 minutes before I did, and their database sounds a lot like what I'm working on but theirs is done.

Yes, ours is done, but it is also in Access '97. Thats all I have at home. :P It is also very specific for our needs. There is nothing fancy about it.

Your Access 97 database will convert to any newer version of Access in a matter of minutes unless you have code written, it may need tweeked a bit.

That's good info to know. Thanks for posting that. I have no codes written. Wouldn't even know how to write code <_< .

There is an conversion program out on Microsoft's site somewhere that you can use to help upgrade your 97 database to 2003. I don't remember if it just tests your 97 db to see if you'll have any issues or if it actually does the conversion for you. I do remember using it, though. But as others have said, as long as you don't have any custom code, you should be fine upgrading. Just remember to backup your files before upgrading (should just be a matter of copying your .mdb file.

....Anthus

There is an conversion program out on Microsoft's site somewhere that you can use to help upgrade your 97 database to 2003. I don't remember if it just tests your 97 db to see if you'll have any issues or if it actually does the conversion for you. I do remember using it, though. But as others have said, as long as you don't have any custom code, you should be fine upgrading. Just remember to backup your files before upgrading (should just be a matter of copying your .mdb file.

....Anthus

Thanks!! We will certainly check this out.

I'm completely Access and Excel ignorant but I did run across a simple basic coin collector database the other day. Its basic, its cheap and its free to try. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know what kind of output its capable of. Just t thought it would be a good place to keep track of coins I have with pictures.

With the new guidelines I'm not sure if I can post a link to their website so I've set up an auto responder at coincollector@tsbsales.com that will send you a link to their website.

Eartha or Flying Spaghetti Monster if that's not allowed feel free to delete this post.

Access Database Update - GeoCoin Collection & Inventory System:

I was able to design the tables (approx 20 tables) needed for the database and even created them all while watching the awsome Steeler's AFC Championship game last night. I would have gotten more done but I couldn't keep my eyes off the tv for too long -- let's go Steelers!

I will be working on the GUI over the next couple of days. Some key features will be:

- Trading / Seeking / Keeping Inventory

- Tracking mechanism for selling of your coins including inventory control and revenue reports

- Coin data repository - for keeping info on all coins such as owners, minters, images, size, thickness, tracking, icons, etc.

- Place to keep email communications on trades

- Mailing labels and reports

....Anthus

Ok I started messing around with Access last night..... :unsure:  :)  :unsure:

Whoa it is more complicated then I thought. I thought it would similar to Excel but more address book like, NO. I have a ways to go before I figure this out.

We also started playing with Access and have the database built. We're in the process of adding a user-friendly interface to get your information in and out. We'll post a link when we have something ready for the masses ... shouldn't be too long.

I was able to design the tables (approx 20 tables) needed for the database and even created them all while watching the awsome Steeler's AFC Championship game last night. I would have gotten more done but I couldn't keep my eyes off the tv for too long -- let's go Steelers!

I will be working on the GUI over the next couple of days. Some key features will be:

- Tracking mechanism for selling of your coins including inventory control and revenue reports

- Coin data repository - for keeping info on all coins such as owners, minters, images, size, thickness, tracking, icons, etc.

....Anthus

Email sent.

....Anthus

Sounds like a nice design, more than what I'd need but it includes what I currently need ... maybe I can soon ditch what I currently have/use.

Good goin'

....Anthus

Wow! That sounds like a great database. It has something for everyone. I would love to see it.

Sounds neat, too bad I don't have access to Access.  :D

Possibly someone has an Access 2003 developer kit so they can give you the free runtime version of Access. I have one but it's for Access 2000.

That's my plan -- to package it up with the Developers kit so that no one will need to have any version of Access and the install will be the familiar Windows install. Now I just need to get my hands on a 2003 Developers kit. I have the 97 one but that will do me no good.

...Anthus

Sounds neat, too bad I don't have access to Access.  :D

Possibly someone has an Access 2003 developer kit so they can give you the free runtime version of Access. I have one but it's for Access 2000.

That's my plan -- to package it up with the Developers kit so that no one will need to have any version of Access and the install will be the familiar Windows install. Now I just need to get my hands on a 2003 Developers kit. I have the 97 one but that will do me no good.

...Anthus

Anthus - I may have one. I'll check when I'm back at the office tomorrow and let you know.

I've been fiddling around with a db to track coins and contacts. I'll probably be done with it this weekend (I am working this weekend, so I use the term loosly and could be as late as the next weekend!)

I've read through the posts, and am adding some of the things that everyone said they would like to see in a db. If there are any other ideas, let me know.

I figure between ScoutingWV and myself, we should be able to come up with something usable.

Let me know if there are any other requests!

BTW, I use both Access 2000 and 2003. I am developing in A2000 and will test it in 2003 (make adjustments, etc. if necessary).

DC

Now I just need to get my hands on a 2003 Developers kit.  I have the 97 one but that will do me no good. 

I now have the necessary program to do this. So, users won't even need to have Access to run my application.

If you are interested a geocoin collecting application to track both your coin collection and your coin sales, please send me an email. I'm just looking to see who all is interested.

Thanks....Anthus

[edited by Anthus to keep this thread non-commercial. In the meantime, I have sent an email to a Moderator for clarification]

Edited by Anthus

I thought I would give everyone an update on the geocoin database.

I've made some serious progress on it over this weekend. I believe I have all pages created for the following:

- My GeoCoin Inventory

- Master GeoCoin List

- GeoCachers and Groups

- Reference table pages

I will be continuing to work on the My GeoCoin Sales pages over the next week as well as the Reports pages. If all goes well, I should be ready for testing this weekend. :D

If anyone has anything specific they would like to have added to the application, please send me an email.

Thanks...Anthus

How's the testing on the new additions, Anthus? :blink:

Testing is going really well. I had a few bugs that I needed to fix. I'm starting to use it solely for my stuff and am beginning to abandon my massive spreadsheet. I do have one other person that I want to test the application for me so I hope to get it out to him soon.

I am still working on the coin sales module. I'm tossing around the idea of releasing the application without the coin sales module and then making it an add-on piece once I get it done. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Also, I hope to put up some new screenshots on my website of what I have done so far so you all can check it out. I'll let you know when I get them posted. The Super Bowl is today so today may not be too productive. Go Steelers!!

The Super Bowl is today so today may not be too productive. Go Steelers!!

I've got a VCR. I'll tape it and send it to you! :blink:

Now Back To Work!!bash.gif

:D:D

Just Kiddin'! :)

Thanks for all the hard work!

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

GO STEELERS!

Edited by gridlox

I am still working on the coin sales module. I'm tossing around the idea of releasing the application without the coin sales module and then making it an add-on piece once I get it done. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Probably not a bad idea to release the application without the coin sales module, making it an add-on later.