Travel Bug With Food Item

kklems

Ok just found Scooby Do Part Deux TB TB75DF .

Cool travel bug as the arms move and its Scooby Doo Problem is the bottom has a tube filled with candy bones. It is sealed in plastic and the seal is on the candy but I thought cache items aren't supposed to have food items? WTD? BTW found it an ammo box which would probably keep animals out.

Edited by kklems
Ok just found Scooby Do Part Deux TB  xxx.

Cool travel bug as the arms move and its Scooby Doo  Problem is the bottom has a tube filled with candy bones. It is sealed in plastic and the seal is on the candy but I thought cache items aren't supposed to have food items?  WTD?  BTW found it an ammo box which would probably keep animals out.

Actually, I have been wondering the same thing, as we found a jar of honey, wrapped in lots of plastic, but honey nonetheless, in an ammo can. we pulled it, but I haven't chucked it yet, in case I shouldn't. it's not an "official" TB, but does have a travel goal, etc etc

edit: oops, I also had missed the TB # - sorry

Edited by Beffums
Ok just found Scooby Do Part Deux TB  XXXXXX.

Just a note to let you know you should never post TB numbers or show the TB number in photos. It opens the door for mischief makers. Knowing the number proves that the person moving the bug actually has it. You should edit your original post and use the bug name or lookup code (similar to waypoint code).

(Edit: I did the same thing myself when I started caching.)

Food should never be placed in a cache. Critters can smell it even if its sealed, and they won't stop gnawing on that cache until they get it.

Edited by media601
Ok just found Scooby Do Part Deux TB 424905.

Cool travel bug as the arms move and its Scooby Doo Problem is the bottom has a tube filled with candy bones. It is sealed in plastic and the seal is on the candy but I thought cache items aren't supposed to have food items? WTD? BTW found it an ammo box which would probably keep animals out.

Eat the candy and send it on its way. ;)

I wouldn't eat the food. One, you don't know where it's been and how long its been there. Two, You don't know where it came from. There is always tampering issues with food products in public, but would you trust something that has been in the woods for who knows how long and who really put it there?

That's why no food of anytime. Also HONEY? what are they thinking? HERE BEAR BEAR BEAR. <_<

Geocaching has certain rules which we are all supposed to adhere to, one of which is: no food items. Just because the candy is contained within a TB doesn't change the rules. Food is food and does not belong in a geocache. Same thing goes for knives, lighters, explosives, etc. I know lots of folks don't like these rules, but we are supposed to abide by them nonetheless.

Honey? Sounds like a CITO item to me. Yikes.

I am also surprised how often I find old, leaky batteries. I have seen battery acid completely destroy cache containers. Really, a bad idea.

There are SO MANY really good trade items (and TB hitchhikers), why resort to using things that are against the rules or just plain unwise?

HONEY?!?

;)

Not exactly. It is a travel bug, after all.

Contact the owner. With his permission, either replace the object and release the bug or mail it back to him.

actually, the honey wasn't a tb, and doesn't have an owner for it. it just has a piece of paper saying it's trying to get to Florida. no geo-name or real name. no tracking number. I was sort of at a loss on it.

Ok just found Scooby Do Part Deux TB  XXXXXX.

Just a note to let you know you should never post TB numbers or show the TB number in photos. It opens the door for mischief makers. Knowing the number proves that the person moving the bug actually has it. You should edit your original post and use the bug name or lookup code (similar to waypoint code).

(Edit: I did the same thing myself when I started caching.)

Food should never be placed in a cache. Critters can smell it even if its sealed, and they won't stop gnawing on that cache until they get it.

Media601 Thank you for the advice... even if it wasn't specifically intended for me. When I took the photos of my TB's, I was ever so careful to make sure that the number "Showed"... After reading your comment, I edited every single picture that I had uploaded of my bugs and cropped the serial number out of them

Thank you!

Koolrat & Kitten

Edited by Koolrat & Kitten