Updates?!?

Delaypat

So I saw updates for the 60c and asked if it would work for the CS. Here is where my question lies, when I use the webupdater thing it says I have the current software(4.0), I know the c(s) have the same chipset but dont know if I install the software, will it mess my 60cs up????????? I just want to be sure...Thanks!!

Anytime I update my firmware for my 60C I backup all my User data- my waypoints, tracks, and routes I may have just in case. Once I lost all my data and that won't happen again. To backup I simply download it all to a .GDB file. Now, I know updates in firmware are published separately for a 60C and a 60CS. They usually are announced together, but I see currently the last 60CS update was June 20, 2005. I would wait for the 60CS firmware update to come out. I would think there are enough differences between the C and CS (due to the sensors) that using the other one may not be a good idea, but perhaps someone more knowledgable will reply here.

[edit] I just found This thread that seems to answer the firmware question.

Edited by Timpat
So I saw updates for the 60c and asked if it would work for the CS. Here is where my question lies, when I use the webupdater thing it says I have the current software(4.0), I know the c(s) have the same chipset but dont know if I install the software, will it mess my 60cs up????????? I just want to be sure...Thanks!!

Delaypat, I just noticed Garmin has announced your 60CS Update. Hope you waited to update vs going with the 60C firmware update- just in case.

The NEW VERSION is a Beta test version. Use it at your own risk! This is why the Web updater does not recognize it - it's not an official firmware update.

And to address your original question (not necessarily ANSWER it), it would seem to me that the 60CS has additional features requiring more instructions , and thus additional code. But BOTH files of version 4.00 have the same size (number of bytes). :lol:

It very well may be the same file, but I personally would NOT be willing to try loading the 60CS firmware on my 60C...

Edited by Neo_Geo
The NEW VERSION is a Beta test version. Use it at your own risk! This is why the Web updater does not recognize it - it's not an official firmware update.

And to address your original question (not necessarily ANSWER it), it would seem to me that the 60CS has additional features requiring more instructions , and thus additional code. But BOTH files of version 4.00 have the same size (number of bytes). :)

It very well may be the same file, but I personally would NOT be willing to try loading the 60CS firmware on my 60C...

I agree!! :)