Signature Items

Roamineye

I'm new to geocaching, but want to leave something interesting as I go alone, so I leave a train smashed penny with my geoname on it and a tracking number. I am trying to set up on sigitem.com so I can track them properly. I love trains of all sizes and shapes, so this fits my style perfectly. Stretch22.

Thanks, prolly a good idea to laminate them... but how? Laminating machines are expensive... arent they?

Try clear contact paper. Doesn't hold up as long as actual lamination, but should be fine for this purpose. I've "laminated" lots of maps with it.

You can also laminate small items, like business cards, with clear packing tape.

I've seen a few cool signature items in caches. I was just wondering what kinds of signature items everyone has? Does your sig item correspond with your user name? Or does it have some other meaning?

I had been searching for my special purpose and finally found it . . .

Er, uh, my signature item, that is! I had thought about special ordering some golf tees with 'John' printed on them. The idea just did not appeal to me. Then I got a bunch of preforms from a friend of mine . . .

PreForms.jpg

Decided they would make a good item to leave for a signature item as a 'Cache Ready To Go'. I print out a log form that explains that it was left in a cache as a trade item, then has all the geocaching info on it and a log on the back. Borrowed this idea from one of the other geocachers, whose name now escapes me! :laughing:

BTW . . . to address the question that is sure to come :laughing: Preforms are something like thick-walled plastic test tubes. This is what 1-Liter and 2-Liter water and soda bottles start as. They are heated and injection blown molded into bottle form.

JohnTee

QUOTE(wheetree @ Jul 10 2006, 11:53 AM)

QUOTE(Twister15 @ Jun 21 2006, 11:27 AM)

Thanks, prolly a good idea to laminate them... but how? Laminating machines are expensive... arent they?

Try clear contact paper. Doesn't hold up as long as actual lamination, but should be fine for this purpose. I've "laminated" lots of maps with it.

Your office supply stores like Office Max will laminate things. Cost me a little more than a dollar.

I've seen a few cool signature items in caches. I was just wondering what kinds of signature items everyone has? Does your sig item correspond with your user name? Or does it have some other meaning?

I had been searching for my special purpose and finally found it . . .

Er, uh, my signature item, that is! I had thought about special ordering some golf tees with 'John' printed on them. The idea just did not appeal to me. Then I got a bunch of preforms from a friend of mine . . .

PreForms.jpg

Decided they would make a good item to leave for a signature item as a 'Cache Ready To Go'. I print out a log form that explains that it was left in a cache as a trade item, then has all the geocaching info on it and a log on the back. Borrowed this idea from one of the other geocachers, whose name now escapes me! :laughing:

BTW . . . to address the question that is sure to come :laughing: Preforms are something like thick-walled plastic test tubes. This is what 1-Liter and 2-Liter water and soda bottles start as. They are heated and injection blown molded into bottle form.

JohnTee

Good Idea. :laughing:

we to are new to this game... we found poker chips at the dollar store(50 for a buck i think) and started out putting FFof5 on them with Nia Falls, ny on the back with a black magic marker...now we hand paint them....My 6 year old does 1 side and i do the other...never the same.... i've done a pic of NY...north america...the new (ugly) Buffalo Sabres logo.... one i did was of Signature the geo frog.... i print small pictures from the internet...trace them and then "carbon paper " them onto the chip...the hard part was usuing my old paint brushes from my car model building days.... once i figure out how to post a pic i show a few....

Scott 1/5 of ffof5

we to are new to this game... we found poker chips at the dollar store(50 for a buck i think) and started out putting FFof5 on them with Nia Falls, ny on the back with a black magic marker...now we hand paint them....My 6 year old does 1 side and i do the other...never the same.... i've done a pic of NY...north america...the new (ugly) Buffalo Sabres logo.... one i did was of Signature the geo frog.... i print small pictures from the internet...trace them and then "carbon paper " them onto the chip...the hard part was usuing my old paint brushes from my car model building days.... once i figure out how to post a pic i show a few....

Scott 1/5 of ffof5

I have one of your early chips. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of your hand painted ones. That sounds cool.

Bug

BTW . . . to address the question that is sure to come :santa: Preforms are something like thick-walled plastic test tubes. This is what 1-Liter and 2-Liter water and soda bottles start as. They are heated and injection blown molded into bottle form.

JohnTee

That's not the question I have. I was wondering where you can get preforms? I have not been able to find them in quantities of less than a railroad car load.

Thanks

What do you think of a Cache site with 1$ lotto scratch offs?

I have this idea where if you take the scratch off you could leave a dollar...

In the log leave comments on what you won....

What do you think?

IMHO there are unsavory types who see money and take it... no matter who it belongs to. if you're willing to keep on top of it it may work... i wouldn't put more than 10 bucks worth in at a time...this way if it comes up missing you won't be out much more than 10 bucks total. It sounds like a cool idea...who knows someone could walk away with 10,000 bucks for running out for a quick cache...talk about ez money!!!! :) good luck on this...may be interesting

What do you think of a Cache site with 1$ lotto scratch offs?

I have this idea where if you take the scratch off you could leave a dollar...

In the log leave comments on what you won....

What do you think?

IMHO there are unsavory types who see money and take it... no matter who it belongs to. if you're willing to keep on top of it it may work... i wouldn't put more than 10 bucks worth in at a time...this way if it comes up missing you won't be out much more than 10 bucks total. It sounds like a cool idea...who knows someone could walk away with 10,000 bucks for running out for a quick cache...talk about ez money!!!! :) good luck on this...may be interesting

Thanks for you input.. That was my idea. I thought it would be great to read someone log on my cache stating they won 10000$..

PreForms.jpg

Decided they would make a good item to leave for a signature item as a 'Cache Ready To Go'. I print out a log form that explains that it was left in a cache as a trade item, then has all the geocaching info on it and a log on the back. Borrowed this idea from one of the other geocachers, whose name now escapes me! :(

JohnTee

Good Idea. ;)

Yeah! COD. That's who it was! :surprise:

Thanks again COD!

JohnTee

P.S. If you wouldn't mind sharing your original text, what I came up with was only fair . . . :huh:

PreForms.jpg

Decided they would make a good item to leave for a signature item as a 'Cache Ready To Go'. I print out a log form that explains that it was left in a cache as a trade item, then has all the geocaching info on it and a log on the back. Borrowed this idea from one of the other geocachers, whose name now escapes me! :(

JohnTee

Good Idea. ;)

Yeah! COD. That's who it was! :surprise:

Thanks again COD!

JohnTee

P.S. If you wouldn't mind sharing your original text, what I came up with was only fair . . . :huh:

For the trade note or the cache info/log sheet? Or both?

PreForms.jpg

Decided they would make a good item to leave for a signature item as a 'Cache Ready To Go'. I print out a log form that explains that it was left in a cache as a trade item, then has all the geocaching info on it and a log on the back. Borrowed this idea from one of the other geocachers, whose name now escapes me! <_<

JohnTee

Good Idea. :(

Yeah! COD. That's who it was! <_<

Thanks again COD!

JohnTee

P.S. If you wouldn't mind sharing your original text, what I came up with was only fair . . . :anibad:

For the trade note or the cache info/log sheet? Or both?

Instead of using '35 mm' size logs, I've come up with two logs, one for the small preform and one for the large preform. Er, since I've only seen part of the trade note and none of the log . . . how about both.

Thanks!

JohnTee

Well I have made both sig. cards I drop at caches and cards that I trade with for other sig. items

here is a pic of the card I leave in caches sorry its blurry bad camera

SigCardpic.jpg

And heres the Trading card I have Made special for GC.com

TheCollectorTradingCardsGC-1.jpg

Im always looking to trade for other sig. items (I really like wooden nickels and other coins :) )

just email me here MNArtist@gmail.com or in my profile

TheCollector

Edited by TheCollector

Here are my BlackRok sig cards for 2006 & 2007!

I am an outdoor Photography enthusiast, and have many locations & subjects to choose from.

I thought this would be an ideal way to share some of these places!

The plan is to have a different photo each year, or sooner if I get in the mood to change it!

I cache mostly in Georgia, but have dropped some of the 2006 design in Tennessee, and the Lehighton, Pa. area!

All of the cards are printed on inkjet glossy photo paper and laminated before dropping off!

2071153sigcards2resize.jpg

BlackRok

I am an outdoor Photography enthusiast, and have many locations & subjects to choose from.

The plan is to have a different photo each year, or sooner if I get in the mood to change it!

I cache mostly in Georgia, but have dropped some of the 2006 design in Tennessee, and the Lehighton, Pa. area!

All of the cards are printed on inkjet glossy photo paper and laminated before dropping off!

BlackRok

WOW great pix!!!! come on up and see Niagara Falls...leave a few for us to enjoy and take some photos on 3 sisters and from the observation deck.

Scott

BlackRok

WOW great pix!!!! come on up and see Niagara Falls...leave a few for us to enjoy and take some photos on 3 sisters and from the observation deck.

Scott

Would love to get up that way for all the excellent photo ops! But unfortunately <_< won't be traveling that way for the immediate future.

Thanks!

BlackRok

I posted this on another thread about signature items. I just came up with this the other day while driving my daughter to school.

The background: at the Arizona Ren Fest, a wandering Fairy played with my kids for a long time, then gave them each of our five kids a "kiss". They were different shapes, sizes and colors of the glass pebbles that you use for home decor. I have bound them in wire, added some beads and sometimes a Draygonfly (our letterboxing trail name) and they are ready to hang where ever you want. I just got some gold wire, so they can be either gold or silver wire and every one is unique.

I made a card to put in the baggies with a short version of the story behind the Fairy Kisses.

littlefairyKisses.jpg

Edited by shadohart

My family of four (all geocachers) have a wooden nickel we leave in caches we discover. I also use it as my profile and avatar pic. The nickels are printed on both sides, one side have my wife's and my Cacher names, the other has our two sons. It cost me about $160.00 dollars to have 500 of these made and consecutively numbered.

We leave the nickels as signature...we also have swag we use if we decide to trade something out of a cache.

Tried to leave my dogs, but they wouldn't fit! :)

4c47f1eb-be72-4b6e-afa8-b4254626b25d.jpg

You should really consider switching to hamstercaching. Nothing says "I really enjoyed this cache" like a cuddly live hamster, just waiting to share the love with the next finder. Do hurry, though.

57636_1500.jpg

We are finding, however, that the proliferation of "small" and "micro" sized caches has led to an inability to leave off our sig item in many of the places we visit. This has resulted in an overpopulation problem back at hamster central. What we've done to fix this:

1. We spray-painted coordinates for a puzzle cache onto the backs of 50 hamsters and set them free in the park where the cache is hidden.

2. We now have a separate cage for breeding white mice. Just as cute, and they fit in a decon container.

I tried this one out this summer. (Pic is a link to the thread)

dscn6834.jpg

After getting a taste of geocaching I've decided to start leaving some of my gemstone specimens in certain caches that are truly unique or that I found very rewarding as a find. I put it in a ziploc with a note on the bag saying it's from my collection.

After years of working in the Forest Service, National Park Service & the gemstone industry, I had naturally become a Rockhound. Over time of working the Tucson Gem show and spelunking for specimens, I have accumulated several pounds worth of semi precious stones. Some were purchased, many were dug out of the ground by me.

Currently I'm leaving natural, polished turquoise stones that have been drilled for stringing. When I run out of that I'll move on to the garnet stones I collected (looks like buckshot), Staurolite I pulled out of a cliff wall in Hondo Canyon in New Mexico, opal from Coober pedy, out of tolerance stones from gem shows, etc. etc. All of these stones are of value to me and I like the idea of spreading them around for others to have. Eventually, I'll work my way up to the beryl crystals.

I have found that leaving money puts a smile on everyone's face.

49913002-M.jpg

These are so cool! I remember those pens with the shredded money inside. I think I got one for my Mom once as a gift. Heh, you leaving any of these in NE Florida any time soon? <_<

So are you shredding the money or getting them from somewhere like a bank that shreds it? Couldn't imagine anyone doing it themselves

One of my hobbies (well, former hobbies, back when I had TIME!) was making chainmail, so I was thinking of putting together a number of small patches of chainmail (standard 4-in-1 European pattern, for any who are into this). It's pretty time consuming, though.

Other than that... I'll think of something. It occurred to me lately that I really haven't been leaving much in the way of trades, so it would be good to have a stockpile of signature items.

That's a great idea, i used to make chainmail bracelets, just a single band big enough to fit there wrist, for me and friends. i have also made a slave bracelet but that was way more time consuming... i still have the huge thing of electric fence wire i used... i just neve thought of a way to prevent oxidization and the metal became dull and dirty looking... never rusty though... i might have to start some of that up again.

One of my hobbies (well, former hobbies, back when I had TIME!) was making chainmail, so I was thinking of putting together a number of small patches of chainmail (standard 4-in-1 European pattern, for any who are into this). It's pretty time consuming, though.

Other than that... I'll think of something. It occurred to me lately that I really haven't been leaving much in the way of trades, so it would be good to have a stockpile of signature items.

That's a great idea, i used to make chainmail bracelets, just a single band big enough to fit there wrist, for me and friends. i have also made a slave bracelet but that was way more time consuming... i still have the huge thing of electric fence wire i used... i just neve thought of a way to prevent oxidization and the metal became dull and dirty looking... never rusty though... i might have to start some of that up again.

I used to do chainmaille as well and was thinking "Oh wow, I can never come up with a signature item" and then I see these posts! It'd be neat to have some colored rings that were small (but not micro small) and make a little design or something with it. I might have to try that sometime, although depending on the ring size and how dense the weave is it could be rather time consuming....

I really like the coins and other handmade items that people have shown, and the arrowheads people have done are amazing! If I ever do a signature item, I definitely want to do something handmade that was neat enough to be considered a trade.

What is the difference between a signature item and a pathtag?
The term "signature item" can refer to almost anything. Some are trackable on other web sites (e.g., sigitem.com or geofish.net), but most are not trackable. Many are hand-made, although some are produced professionally using the owner's design.

Pathtags are a specific brand of signature items. They're metal, produced professionally using the owner's design, and semi-trackable. By semi-trackable, I mean that each design has a tracking number, but all the pathtags of the same design have the same tracking number.