Signature Items

Roamineye

I leave a sig card that has a graphic of Michigan and a golf flag on it (similar to my avatar), and the MiGO and geocaching logos. I'm still working on getting a small signature item (thinking of a crossed golf clubs pin that would attach to the card). Seems that every time I print some new cards I have to edit something, so it's always evolving.

Miz :mad:

I've seen a few cool signature items in caches. I was just wondering what kinds of signature items everyone has? Does your sig item correspond with your user name? Or does it have some other meaning?

My geo-name comes from the Maccabees, a Jewish band of warriors that were an integral part of the Hannukah story. Dreidels being a traditional gambling (of chocolate) game played during Hanukkah, I thought they would make a great sig item.

I am just about to start placing these trackable geo-dreidels and sig card in some caches. They take a while to make, so I'm just going to put them in my favorite caches for now.

41a2a1b9-2bc2-4843-bd48-21531226cdf9.jpg

Team Maccabee

I made my first signature itme this last weekend. It is very simple an uses the sheets of magnatized material that you can get at any office supply store. Basically, I took these sheets of magnetic material and printed on them using Word. I opened Word and selected the Avery template for business cards. I placed my designs on the template, printed it, and wala, instant refridgerator magnets :) Please excuse the jagged edges. That is an artifact caused by my camera. Here they are:

geo041.jpg

My sig item is a Geocaching bindrune. Basically it's a good luck charm created with runes. I used Ansuz, the signal rune; Raido, the journey rune; and Wunjo, the joy rune. These are for good satellite reception, a pleasant trip, and a happy ending. It's made from sculpey and hemp chord.

DSCF0858.jpg

I'm also working on some wooden nickels. One side has my new Monkey logo. I'm not sure what's going on the reverse yet. Maybe, "Good for one beer from MonkeyToes" or something.

Edited by Monkey Toes

I've gone through a lot of sig items - magnets, cards, etc.

Then moved on to these:

738e37e1-68b3-432d-a894-ee0ef61a766b.jpg

c542ed41-9714-4221-bfa7-765391e2989c.jpg

Now, for the really good caches, I have my own coins:

front%7E1.jpg

Also have some Kealia/Hula Bum laser-etched bottle openers with the generic "G" logo and CITO on them (no pic).

Tried to leave my dogs, but they wouldn't fit! :)

4c47f1eb-be72-4b6e-afa8-b4254626b25d.jpg

Tried to leave my dogs, but they wouldn't fit! :)

4c47f1eb-be72-4b6e-afa8-b4254626b25d.jpg

You should really consider switching to hamstercaching. Nothing says "I really enjoyed this cache" like a cuddly live hamster, just waiting to share the love with the next finder. Do hurry, though.

57636_1500.jpg

We are finding, however, that the proliferation of "small" and "micro" sized caches has led to an inability to leave off our sig item in many of the places we visit. This has resulted in an overpopulation problem back at hamster central. What we've done to fix this:

1. We spray-painted coordinates for a puzzle cache onto the backs of 50 hamsters and set them free in the park where the cache is hidden.

2. We now have a separate cage for breeding white mice. Just as cute, and they fit in a decon container.

We leave blank dice that we wrote our name on. K a n d R S. One letter per side. K R and S are in one color and the and is in another. For FTF and such on Micros we leave another special die, like a compass one, or something like that. They fit in micros and they are something different.

We are using the shrink plastic (think shrinkydinks) for inkjet printers. we get 4 to an approx 8.5x11 page and they come out about 1.5"

We use our avatar plus some additional markings. Actually since we get 4 to a page, our 1 page printout has 4 different ones, compass needle pointing the 4 directions.

We will soon be making some geocoins (non-trackable) to leave in the better caches, and possibly some pins as well for average caches or micros. we will likely still do some of the plastic ones as well.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

I have found that leaving money puts a smile on everyone's face. I'm not talking funny money or play money I am talking Genuine US Currency. I put the money in different size jars and label the jar as to what I think is in the jar. :laughing: Usually $250 Nobody has given away my secret in a post and those that like the money just love it. I have had people as far away as Canada contact me about the money they got with my name on it. I have even sent jars of money to people that could not catch up with one.

This had nothing to do with my caching name. My wife used to work for the US Treasury Dept. and they used to have many items stuffed with this money. As I got into Geocaching more and more I though of this idea as a signature item. Just a silly little fun thing to do for a signature. I have toyed with putting a TB on one or two :D Just to see how far my money could go. :D

The pictured jar has a label that says $250 in Genuine ( Shredded ) US Currency and I have a number of other smaller jars that I put $100 in. :D It's kinda the gift for someone that has everything. "A Jar Full Of Money"

49913002-M.jpg

Edited by George1

I have found that leaving money puts a smile on everyone's face. I'm not talking funny money or play money I am talking Genuine US Currency. I put the money in different size jars and label the jar as to what I think is in the jar. :laughing: Usually $250 Nobody has given away my secret in a post and those that like the money just love it. I have had people as far away as Canada contact me about the money they got with my name on it. I have even sent jars of money to people that could not catch up with one.

This had nothing to do with my caching name. My wife used to work for the US Treasury Dept. and they used to have many items stuffed with this money. As I got into Geocaching more and more I though of this idea as a signature item. Just a silly little fun thing to do for a signature. I have toyed with putting a TB on one or two :laughing: Just to see how far my money could go. :laughing:

The pictured jar has a label that says $250 in Genuine ( Shredded ) US Currency and I have a number of other smaller jars that I put $100 in. :laughing: It's kinda the gift for someone that has everything. "A Jar Full Of Money"

49913002-M.jpg

I dont want to upset anyone here, but I think leaving a business card or a signature item (unless its cool) is a cop out to leaving something tradeable. Keychains that are "YOU" or an item some one might actually enjoy are cool, but I usually just sign the log anyways. Who wants to trade a fake business card? I mean if I found a cache that listed all this fun, cool, neat things in it for trading, and all I found were peoples GC "business cards" I would feel ripped off in a way cause I would bring something of equal fun, cool or neatness. Thats why I just sign the log. I enjoy the hunt more than the treasure anyways. But thats MHO!!

I dont want to upset anyone here, but I think leaving a business card or a signature item (unless its cool) is a cop out to leaving something tradeable. Keychains that are "YOU" or an item some one might actually enjoy are cool, but I usually just sign the log anyways. Who wants to trade a fake business card? I mean if I found a cache that listed all this fun, cool, neat things in it for trading, and all I found were peoples GC "business cards" I would feel ripped off in a way cause I would bring something of equal fun, cool or neatness. Thats why I just sign the log. I enjoy the hunt more than the treasure anyways. But thats MHO!!

I actually prefer to find signature items rather than junk from a dollar store. Something that someone spent a lot of time designing and produciong is far more valueable to me than some Made in China doodad picked out of a clearance bin. I see them as little pieces of folk art- the ones I like anyway. And who says they aren't they tradeable?

I thought about this same thing so I bring other trade items along with the signature keyrings. The idea is to trade up so I leave way more than I take.

I have had several emails from members here asking me to trade my leather keyrings for their sig items by mail. Must be more people collect these kinds of things than I thought.

I would also note that this thread is about Signature Items, wouldn't that indicate that all of the items you would see here are GC "business cards"?

leather-man

Forgive me if I'm a little dense but I do not understand why you quoted my whole post. Is it that you think the money idea is worthless? If so I guess you are entitled to your opinion but I have gotten some great logs from people that have found these jars.

BTW I usually don't take anything. Most of the stuff I find I wouldn't bother to put in another cache. I just live with it. It's fun no matter what you do trade or not.

This had nothing to do with my caching name. My wife used to work for the US Treasury Dept. and they used to have many items stuffed with this money. As I got into Geocaching more and more I though of this idea as a signature item. Just a silly little fun thing to do for a signature. I have toyed with putting a TB on one or two :laughing: Just to see how far my money could go. :laughing:

The pictured jar has a label that says $250 in Genuine ( Shredded ) US Currency and I have a number of other smaller jars that I put $100 in. :laughing: It's kinda the gift for someone that has everything. "A Jar Full Of Money"

[img[ pic of cool money jar snipped[/img]

i love collecting sig cards. i'm thinking of getting a book to display them all in. they are just as much fun to find as any other sig item.

george1: the money jar is way too cool. :laughing:

No, I think the money thing is cool, I think handmade things are cool. I trade for those sometimes. I just dont like the business cards with peoples names on them. I mean thats what the log is for. Thats all I mean.

I think it's just a matter of opinion. I remember thinking that they were kinda useless at first too. But then we found that some people are really creative with their sig cards. We had fun making ours after we found a few neat cards. ;)

I'm still leaving a Maryland Crab pin.

5a9b7f88-197a-4e3e-af15-9fb6625e2715.jpg

At this point, I only trade for signature items (including business cards).

I personally do not have the talent to hand-make a signature item, so I am always particularly impresed by hand made items - - like the ones listed above by Copper Toad, Monkey Toes and Cruiserdude.