Updates - Tb Detail Milage Question

kah731

I agree--I started a new thread on this exact topic and have asked the moderator to delete that thread so as to not duplicate the topic. Here's my post:

I noticed that with the latest updates to TBs that the mileage that the bug moves from cache to cache has been eliminated. I would really like to see this feature put back on to the bug's page. I for one track the mileage that I personally move TBs and can tell you exactly how many miles I've moved all the TBs I've found.

There's others--a great example is MaxB on the River that tracks a lot of information on all 4,000+ TBs they've moved and can definitively state they've moved these bugs over 4 million miles.

Besides our own personal interests in tracking, it's fun to see the really good moves cachers have made on different TBs. All we see now is that it went from AZ to NM (example)--so did that TB move 10 miles just across the border or did it move a few hundred miles.

I know I'd really like to have that feature back.

Thoughts everyone?

Aim High!

Read this post announcing that there has been a change to the way the distance is calculated. It will take a few days to completely update.

Jeremy, I did read through those posts and some additional posts that pertained to the total mileage but your quote:

"The Travel bug distance calculation has changed. There will be a few days before the distance calculations update correctly so please be patient."

doesn't address the mileage from cache to cache...

If you meant by this statement that the mileage moved from cache to cache would magically appear at a later date then that answers the question; however, to redirect us back to that quote still didn't answer the question.

So, I take it by your post that all is well in "total mileage" as well as seeing the mileage the TB moved from cache to cache?

AH!

Read this post announcing that there has been a change to the way the distance is calculated. It will take a few days to completely update.

Ah - so it will be back! I had read the note, but I did not understand that it meant the milage per cache, I had just assumed total milage. But that makes sense that it would affect the in-between milage too! :P

Maybe it would be helpful to have some sort of place holder in the miles traveled for each log field - something like "(to be calculated soon)" ? :(

I think it makes a lot of sense to have a limited number of log entries on the TB detail pages. But is there value to having a 'show all' TB logs link, like you can with cache logs?

We are looking forward to the TB miles being fixed as well. We know they are working on it to try to solve the problems.

We also believe having a "show all" logs feature would be nice, particularly for TB's that want to travel to states. It is cumbersome now to glance back through each page to determine if they had been to a state or not. This helps us decide if we can take it farther or is a good candidate for leaving for another TB trade.

I even went to the TB map of movement to see if it would easily show me the states, however it lists caches but not the state where the cache is found.

We certainly liked the other improvements accomplished with the last updates and know system bugs will be worked out.

Thanks to the Groundspeak crew! :)

Jeremy, I did read through those posts and some additional posts that pertained to the total mileage but your quote:

"The Travel bug distance calculation has changed. There will be a few days before the distance calculations update correctly so please be patient."

If you meant by this statement that the mileage moved from cache to cache would magically appear at a later date then that answers the question; however, to redirect us back to that quote still didn't answer the question.

So, I take it by your post that all is well in "total mileage" as well as seeing the mileage the TB moved from cache to cache?

AH!

Ditto! Word for word!

Travel bug mileage still appears to be broken.

For example, TBG56B "Lost Girl" reports 10663.9mi (today), but this total is missing 9326.04 miles from a move to Australia from Canada, and so the total should be 19989.94 instead. Or possibly even higher from other lost mileages.

Interestingly, the "Old Map" function still "finds" all of the mileage, including the missing move to Oz:

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

mlord placed it in Kings Lookout by XBY

(Travelled 9326.04 miles NW)

So the data is still there, just not on the "new" displays, and not in the total displayed.

Edited by mlord

Yep, it's now a week later and it's still not showing distance correctly. I have two travel bugs races going on right now, both using distance as the driver, so I'm hoping this gets corrected soon!

Travel bug mileage still appears to be broken.

For example, TBG56B "Lost Girl" reports 10663.9mi (today), but this total is missing 9326.04 miles from a move to Australia from Canada, and so the total should be 19989.94 instead. Or possibly even higher from other lost mileages.

Interestingly, the "Old Map" function still "finds" all of the mileage, including the missing move to Oz:

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

mlord placed it in Kings Lookout by XBY

(Travelled 9326.04 miles NW)

So the data is still there, just not on the "new" displays, and not in the total displayed.

Jeremy,

How often does the schedule run for updating TB miles? In several of the TB's we are trying to figure out mileage, we have some that seem to calculate correctly, but in others not all of the placements show any mileage.

Many of the TB’s we have dropped seem to not have mileage calculated since 1/12 through 2/11.

EX: Tarpon Springs TB: the last mileage updates was 1/5. There have been 2 retrievals and placements since then, the last being on 2/11. Still no mileage showing up for those movements.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...3a-f92433acb9ee

Another example:

TB Mickey The Tour guide

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...24-5186a9a7713c

I also noticed that it doesn’t seem to update the mileage of the TB’s always correctly on the TB owners trackable page.

EX: Geo-Funk has 4 TB’s still listed as 0 miles on trackable page, however if you go to the TB’s T&T race bugs, they all show miles on the individual TB page.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.asp...73-3af2a82122c9

Hope this helps in trying to find the glitches.

MaxB

It runs on a schedule now. Send me a link where it isn't working and I'll look into it.

For all of my TB's that have moved since January, their mileage has yet to update onto "my" page that lists all of my owned TB's. (We actually had put out a few bugs during this time period, so I have a bunch reading 0 miles that have been in more than one cache now - so easy to keep track of.) For some of them the actual bug's page has updated the mileage. For others, if I go to the page for the bug and click "recalculate distance", it will on that page, but not on the list I get for all of my owned TB's. I've tried using my husband's login to see what it looks like when I go through a TB search on my userid owned, and see the same # of miles as when I search from my own account.

Beffums TB's

I think why the TB owners think there's a bigger glitch in the system than you are seeing is because "our" pages that list all of our TBs aren't updating right, even if the individual TB pages are. Hope that helps narrow down where some of the problems are.

Which ones?

I'm not ODragon, but I just checked one of mine and it's not quite right either, if you're still looking for an example.

Normally I don't care about TB mileage, but "Baby Steps" and "Giant Steps" are in a race based on the lengths of their cache-to-cache hops. I just looked at Baby Steps, and the distance from the second-to-last drop is listed (8.1 miles on 12/28/05), but the distance for the most recent drop (on 2/10/2006) is not listed. The total is listed as 8.1 miles.

It should look correct now.

Since there are so many TB's we'll just have to wait till another log is added and they nightly update will sweep through and correct any old issues.

Neither the cache to cache mileages are listed... the total mileage is also a couple of thousand miles off. (I know, we're supposed to wait until tonight but I figured I'd post it so it's there.)

I added a new log and will see how it looks tomorrow!

Edited by ODragon

AH!

I still haven't seen the answer to this question:

Will the cache-to-cache distances (and direction) return, or has that been permanently removed?

Hi Jeremy,

I have a few examples I'd like to share with you in regards a few travel mileage details I see.

Jumpy owned by TheDudez shows 10011 miles

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=170405

They have shown 10011 miles since 12/29 until 3/5 it went from MI to KY and no mileage was added

for that move.

I am in charge of reporting mileage on about 32 bugs in a race here in Cleveland and that's why I am

reporting other bugs to you than my own with problems.

When I do my search, I click Travel Bugs and use the Advanced Search option and pull up travel bugs

that a cacher owns.

When I pull up SerenityNow, They own a bug called Kit Saves the Day Racer. On the summary page

it says it travelled 4129 mi. and on the TB page it says 4060.6 mi. Which would be correct?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?rnd=0.8770183

Here is one other example for Joesbar, he owns The alien and the Bartender bug.

The summary page says 2446 mi, and the cache page says 2060 mi.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?rnd=0.7055475

These discrepencies make me a little leary what numbers I should be using as the real mileage?

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any questions.

One other example that seems to have been adjusted now is:

Geopenguin Poker Run bug under my name on 3/10/06 was at 5.8 miles on the TB page.

As of today, it now shows as 1931 Miles which is closer to what it should be that have been accumulated

with visits much earlier than March.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=37228

Thank you very much for looking into these things. Your input is appreciated so I can start relying on

the numbers again for the race.

Appreciate all your help!

Thanks for all the hard work on the site.

Main reason is that you're only placing the TB and not picking it up from anywhere. I'll have to relook at the code and see if I can "correct" it from not looking for a "picked up" log.

-Raine

I drop them and pick them up then delete the pick up log. I do that to keep the page short. Would it be best to leave the pick up log until the miles generate and then delete them?