Ficticious Logs

duncscott

There have been the odd ficticious logs made in the past all over, i'm sure - but what about serial loggers ARCHAIC CHARMER i believe is one in the UK - he logs all over the place and evidence suggests he has been to none. Very brief meaningless logs, no photos, no TB's and from local caches no logs. Strangly the guy is a premium member to ??

...what does it matter if he wants to post false finds.

I've seen this answer to the same question quite a bit, but I don't agree with it. Many people simply say, "Who cares?" or "What harm does it do?"

I think that by somebody posting false logs, he or she is devaluing all the legitimate logs. If, for example, somebody falsely logs FTF on a cache, then I later get the true FTF and log it as such, doesn't that create sort of a dilemma? I know this wasn't quite the same situation as in the original post, but you can see how the false logs can cause the legitimate ones to be worth less.

Unless you are in a contest with him and you wagered money, what does it matter if he wants to post false finds. Some people lie. It happens.

So virtual logging is ok, gotcha.

(Now where did I put those Virtual Travel bugs?)

Like I said, give the issue to gc.com. We could debate it until the cows come home but if doesn't do a bit of good unless it is addressed by someone who can do anything about it.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Unless you are in a contest with him and you wagered money, what does it matter if he wants to post false finds. Some people lie. It happens.

So say a cache is missing and someone lies about finding it. They are essentially telling the community that the cache is there, which could draw others out in search of it. You don't think people should be concerned about that?

I recall a cacher who was fooled into taking a 100 mile round trip in search of a long missing cache because someone posted a fake found it log.

Wow. I didn't know I would get that kind of reaction from my comment. I didn't think that false finds would be that commonplace that they would be that disruptive. It seems to me that a person who is logging false finds is someone who is only on the site for a few laughs and will be gone a fter a few days or quickly discovered and banned, so I didn't see it as that big a problem. I guess it must be, or is it that I touched a nerve with some people?

I recall a cacher who was fooled into taking a 100 mile round trip in search of a long missing cache because someone posted a fake found it log.

Isn't the cache owner a big part of the problem in this case? If the cache was "long-missing"?

I dunno...when I read the OP I flashed on a lonely gomer getting some sense of connection to the world by pretending to travel and play a game. Seems like a fairly harmless fantasy that has to bring him some satisfaction (which just reflects how miserable he must be).

I vote to leave it alone. You're bound to encounter a more interesting problem to occupy your time. If not, you are welcome to a few of mine. Free shipping, world-wide.

Wow. I didn't know I would get that kind of reaction from my comment. I didn't think that false finds would be that commonplace that they would be that disruptive. It seems to me that a person who is logging false finds is someone who is only on the site for a few laughs and will be gone a fter a few days or quickly discovered and banned, so I didn't see it as that big a problem. I guess it must be, or is it that I touched a nerve with some people?

A few laughs maybe annoying, and hopefully it doesn't affect anyone else. It's okay to simply shake your head and hope the owners deal with it. I don't have a problem with that. But there's a line isn't there? What if I started logging every single cache within 100 miles, and then logged them again and again, well that's an extreme obviously but that is an abuse that would need to be addressed.

So where's that crossing over point of the 'hedging' cacher to the problem cacher? Well, when it affect many caches within a short period of time. What are those numbers? Couldn't tell you. That's why you need to run it past someone like your local reviewer and let them decide if there is indeed a problem.

If it's something you notice and have a problem with, then by all means talk to someone about it. If you want to sit back and let someone else deal with it, fine. But don't tell other people they are doing wrong by asking.

How timely that this thread should be here. As just today we have had someone copy our logs when posting his fake finds. I wrote to the cache owner already, but I'll send a note to our reviewer too.

This case involves plagiarism which i feel is malicious and should not be tolerated. Go get 'em.

It does matter to most players - this subject comes up often because it bothers people when someone abuses the intent of the game. We'll never agree on what that intent is but we know when our particular version of "the line" has been crossed.

The guidelines say a cache owner should delete "bogus" finds. I believe it is appropriate for non-owners to apply peer pressure (in a civil manner) to assist in keeping anarchy at bay. Contacting a cache owner or gc admin when we know something wrong is happening is totally appropriate.

How will that fake-find cacher know that the practice is not acceptable if no one says anything about it?

Lying, cheating, and fake logs seem to be a big thing lately. I keep hearing more and more about it from my caching friends around the country (USA).

In our own vicinity, there are so many problems that we are about to the point we stop caching in our local area and only do caches when we travel. Cachers around here just can't keep to the rules or use their common sense.

We have found a cacher who we have proof on about 12 caches that they have supposedly visited but has not signed the physical cache log on the date they say nor any date in the entire log (all these caches have original logs so have not been replaced). We have been told this cacher is an "upstanding member of the local cache community" and the 2 cache owners we contacted regarding this did not care and said they thought this cacher was great. I don't know the cacher personally and have no agenda.

We also keep a monthly or bi monthly check on our 15 caches and delete any online log this does not have a matching name on the physical cache log. We are getting nasty emails back from cachers that we have deleted.

Also, a group of about 6-10 people who know each other, they log each other in on caches even when the others aren't with them or they call and tell everyone where the cache is.

We've also had about 6 caches muggled or archived since December because other cachers can't put back the cache as found or they move it to another spot. Or else they can't be stealthy...both of this is known from the log entries and in private emails to the finders.

It's getting ridiculous. It's sad that our local community seems to not have a problem with people doing these things.