35mm Micro Containers--going Away Slowly

Pinster56

Now that I never use film for photography anymore and companies like Canon completely dropping film camera lines altogether, those trusty (reviled?) 35mm micro containers will soon become a thing of the past. I have no more myself to set up microcaches with...anybody have suggestions for a cheap alternative?

Now that I never use film for photography anymore and companies like Canon completely dropping film camera lines altogether, those trusty (reviled?) 35mm micro containers will soon become a thing of the past. I have no more myself to set up microcaches with...anybody have suggestions for a cheap alternative?

1st. I will be a long time before film cans and 35mm film goes away. There war limits to a Dig camera, for one a dig camera can not give the same resalution as a film camers when taking scineics.

2nd. There are many people in the world that just cannot afford a dig camera and that do not have a computer.

3rd, 35mm film cans are not very good as cache containers.

1. That's what they said about the horse and buggy in 1906.

2. That's what they said about the vinyl record in 1986.

3. That's what they said about the VHS tape in 1996.

And all three of those things can still be seen with regularity.

As others have pointed out, film cannisters make for poor cache containers in most climates. My favorite alternative is the orange match containers sold at a particular store for 96 cents. Paint 'em to match the surroundings, and they're waterproof (unless people lose the rubber gasket <_< ).

Jamie

I use digital and film cameras. Film will be around a long time, there are photographers who are dedicated to film cameras. You CAN get the film canisters from almost any photo shop, or find a local camera club. A friend of mine who is into bugs loves the opaque film canisters and is always on the look out for them, so they are popular with people with varied interests

Someone in another thread suggested the containers that diabetes test strips come in. Myfather happens to use them, so I had him mail me a few. The lids are much more watertight than film cans, and they are tad narrower and a bit longer. My first one goes out to replace an aging and rusting altoids tin this weekend.

Evil, BBW! Oh, wait a moment, I've got one of those out there, somewhere. Hee hee hee.

It will be a long time before film cans and 35mm film goes away.

The vinyl record has not gone away. Audophiles prefer the superior sound and seek them out.

As a far as film canisters, good riddance. One of the worst containers around. I don' think I've ever found one with a dry log inside.

Waterproof match containers are a good replacement. They keep the log dry, are cheap (usually not much more than a buck) and actually fit a pencil stub.

AT4586.jpgwpmatchcont.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I know of a record store the only seels Vinyl and he does quite well.

I do not know were you shop, but VHF tapes can be bought in just about any store you walk into.

AS far as the hourse and bugy, there are parts of the world in which horse are used for transportion on a dalily basis.

There is more to the world than the USA

So There!!

Waterproof match containers are a good replacement. They keep the log dry, are cheap (usually not much more than a buck) and actually fit a pencil stub.

I just don't do the film cannisters anymore. I figure a cache is worth at least the .99 cents of a good, waterproof match container. Putting a log, in one of those little jewelry ziploc bags, IN a waterproof match container, I've never had reports of a wet, gnarled, funky log. Plus the green ones already have good camo, and the little plastic loop is convenient for hanging the cache.

Film cannisters seem to always fail at some point.

:drama:

Now the Cyro conatianers look cool thansk for the link. While the match conatiners work, for me they are too small, no room for sig items ( I collect them) as far as the M&M containers. I used on of them for one of my caches and I found it full of water after a recent storm.

They look very much like the smallest Nalgene Straight Jars.

I know people like them, but I've seen many bison tubes fail.

I've never had one fail, but a few I've owned were close. The O ring deteriorates and falls apart after about a year. Easily enough replaced though.

The few M&M's caches I've found were fine.

I've found a few wet and a few that were fine. Overall their record seems better than film canisters.

These Nalgene cryo vials work great too. I bought a bag of like 25 off another geocacher for around $5 and another bag off Ebay for a bit more. Here they are next to a bison cylinder:

107b62c7-6769-43d8-8c68-76445aa69c28.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I use these cool mini tupperware containers. They are like 1x1x1 and have a clip on top like a tupperware container. I use these because the whole family has digtal cameras. :( I also use pill containers, the ones that go around your neck so you can tie them to stuff. Also i make homemade cache containers that are the size of two bottlecaps (they are made out of them) and are completely waterproof. But those are my little secret. :P

Ahhh but the horse and buggy are still around ... and being used quite a bit here in Amish land Indiana

Vinyl records have made a small comeback as of late and I still have my old ones ....

I still have VHS tapes and last I looked you could still by the blank ones for taping from your vcr .. plus they are still selling VCR/DVDcombos .......

;):lol:;)

Just my observations .....

Star

Photographic Mylars are considered archival quality. Digial formats are not yet there. Film in one form or another is going to be here for awhile if for no other reason than the need for archival quality mediums.

That doesn't mean that 35mm and film canisters as we know it are toast. So are ammo cans anymore. Seen the prices in Cheaperthandirt recently?

Edited by Renegade Knight

Quoting and replying to your post once again, but it's nothing personal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it still takes longer for a digital camera to store the image to flash than a 35mm camera to store it on film, so until this is resolved, film cameras will still be around (especially for those action shots), and so will films and the dreaded 35mm micro containers.

It's true that sales of 35mm cameras aren't growing, but they aren't disappearing, because many of them are durable and work for years and years. Camera companies have decided to streamline their manufacturing capacities.