What To Do With My 1st Unit?

azspecter

hey guys-

I'm getting my first GPS unit today- the 60CSX. Im just wondering what to do with it first? Are there settings I need to plugin? Anything I need to update/download? How do I get it 'working'? I know these are rudimentery questions here, but I've never owned a GPS before. Any suggestions?

Thanks

ahhh, ok. I'll have to wait till City Nav comes in...

Would you give me a quick pointer on how to find a geocache with these things? ie- do I type in coordinates or something? Then, does it automatically tell me where to turn, how to get there, etc etc? Or, do I do all that on the computer first, then upload it to the unit itself? I'm a little lost...

Thanks

You can do either you can plug in the coords manually on the unit itself (the coords are listed on the geocache page). Or you can hook it up with USB and transfer them direct from the site.

I would suggest getting another application called easygps to be the main transfer software it is a bit faster and less clunky than the trip and waypoint manager.

Then tell it to find the waypoint you just created and choose either off road (no turn by turn) or follow road (with turn by turn)

Good Luck!

Thanks,

kgag.

ok cool! How is that different from the Swiss Army Knife application?

Can I download the cache info, including hints, level of difficulty, etc etc right into it and view it on my GPS itself?

So, I pull up the website, download the pages, import them somehow into this software, and then upload them all into my GPS, correct?

Here's the dumb questions- then what? Do I just choose a waypoint that was uploaded, and somehow have it route me to it, all within the GPS?

Thanks for all the help!

ahhh, ok. I'll have to wait till City Nav comes in...

Would you give me a quick pointer on how to find a geocache with these things? ie- do I type in coordinates or something? Then, does it automatically tell me where to turn, how to get there, etc etc? Or, do I do all that on the computer first, then upload it to the unit itself? I'm a little lost...

Thanks

Mark your present location as a waypoint, then navigate to the coordinates and edit those.

Or, the best way is to become a Premium Member, create Pocket Queries for areas you will be caching, get those delivered to your email InBox, open them up in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), filter the data to your heart's content, then send the waypoints to the GPSr from GSAK, and then . . .

Go caching! <_<