V-8 Moments

Davispak

Ok, it happened to me today. :laughing: That special cache that is posted as a 1 in difficulty and I turn it into a freakin 5 looking for it. Went after this one twice and even fell down the hill getting wet in the stream in the process,and about ready to rent a bush hog or flame thrower to clear the brush.

I looked for an hour on both occasions and came up empty. :anitongue: It's there because someone found it between my first and second attempts at it and they were only a day apart. I contact the hider for a clue and go back out for a third attempt. 10 seconds in ,DOH! :laughing: there it is. Slap the forhead and go how could I miss it?!?!?!?!?

I know they are out there so lets hear the stories guys and gals. which easy hunt kicked you around?

I think our's was while we were on the trail near our house a cache with a difficulty of 1 was on the same trail only thing is we forgot the trail looped around as it was showing it 200 feet from our location. So up the hill we went in the direction it pointed well turns out it was up a rather steep hill we slid down it acouple of times walked through brush and ended up with close to 200 ticks on us. Once we made it down the hill we noticed the trail found the cache which was a Huge ammo box.

Edited by Mystery Ink

Well, all I can say is I can't count the number of times I looked for a trail, didn't find it, and did a nasty bushwack just to find an easy trail a few feet from the cache! I know better and should look for the trail more, yet it still happens! :anitongue:

I also have purposely made easy caches hard to find by snow caching etc. I once made a 1/1 about a 3/3 that way. It was a simple micro under a park bench. But the bench had such a big snow drift over it that I didn't even know a bench was there and searched a very nearby structure first. Then I took a critical look at the drift, dug a bit and found the bench. Then I dug the wrong side of the bench out first! In the end it made what would have been a very routine find quite rewarding though! :laughing:

I spent about 40 minutes feeling all over a Howitzer that's on display at a busy intersection. I knew the thing was magnetic, but I couldn't find it. Because the thing's at such a busy intersection, I even brought my camera and snapped several photos (which turned out quite well, BTW) so I wouldn't look too suspicious.

Anyway, I finally logged the DNF. About 2 weeks later, I came across a similar cache by the same cacher and found it in less than a minute. Then it hit me where the blasted thing was. Drove over to the sight and put my hand on it in less than 5 seconds. I admit I berated myself for a good 10 minutes on the way home!

My very first cache I went looking for was a 1-1, drive up even. I get there, It's a mailbox (not in use anymore) SO me being a noob and all open the box to find the cache. I thought these people are nuts! There were several beverage containers (suprised they werent beer) some very old clothes but no cache.

I know that its there, since people kept finding it between my attempts. I knew it had some thing to do with the mailbox...Argg it made me crazy. Then one day on a drive home from the store, a lightbulb flashed on over my head. I pulled over and looked UNDER the mailbox, and sure enough there was the magnetic cache hanging out giving me raspberries!

Durr!! Durr!! This addiction will definately teach you to think out side the box!

~SFR~

I have a learning disability. The disability is that I fail to read the whole cache page before I attempt to find the cache. This has made many 1/1 caches into 4/4's or worse. I am hoping that someday I will get smarter. I have also found that since I have Topo maps loaded on my GPS I should start looking at them to see if I should have gone around that mountain instead of straight up one side only to find that I now have to climb down the other. I know this doesn't happen to anyone else just me. :lol:

The opposite of that learining disability works, too.

An excellent 1-to-5 conversion method is to use your infallible memory to recall the cache page description, hint and all, but DNF the thing. Later, of course, you realize that you were remembering the page for GC1234, but were hunting at the coordinates of GC 6789....

Don't ask. :lol:

Our first lamp post micro...OY! We didn't know that "Wally's" referred to Walmart (yes, I know, DUH). We though the guy who hid the cache was named Wally, so we basically drove back and forth on the road OUTSIDE the parking lot for a good 15 minutes wondering if we should go into this Wally guy's yard. Finally, we decided to go through Wally's backyard, so we drove up into the Walmart parking lot, only to find we still had a tenth of a mile to go in the direction away from "Wally's" house. The GPSr directed us to the area near the lamp post, but it happened to be one at the edge of the parking lot with a steep grassy hill behind it. We turned over every rock, picked up every leaf, examined every bit of litter...nothing. We got back in the car and were about to drive away when my husband said "Let me check one more thing", got back out, lifted the you-know-what and found the cache. We thought it was the cleverest thing we had seen yet. By the way, it wasn't until we were driving home that we figured out why the cache was called WALLY's So Easy (double DUH).

Well, there's that film can waypoint that I sat on for 20 minutes while I studied the surrounding area inch by inch.

Then there's the cache I never did find because I locked my keys in my truck and realized it immediately. After many minutes of grubby knees and neck spasms peering in and around every wheel-well, I finally decided my hide-a-key was gone and called a friend to deliver my spare. It starts to rain. My cache-mates are wearing cotton and getting increasingly surly with me. Hunted for the cache in the meantime. Difficult hide. The clue was "look with your hands, not your eyes". Groped sandstone for 30 minutes with no luck. Friend shows up with her mother-in-law's spares. It's really raining now and pretty much dark and cache-mates are already piling in my friend's mini-van. Desperate, I again begin peering in the wheel wells, only this time my new mantra surfaces: "look with your hands..." and I reached out and grabbed the danged key hider (hidden originally BY ME) on the first try. Humiliations galore. I'd have much rather been aced on a 1* cache that evening.

I also have purposely made easy caches hard to find by snow caching etc. I once made a 1/1 about a 3/3 that way. It was a simple micro under a park bench. But the bench had such a big snow drift over it that I didn't even know a bench was there and searched a very nearby structure first. Then I took a critical look at the drift, dug a bit and found the bench. Then I dug the wrong side of the bench out first! In the end it made what would have been a very routine find quite rewarding though! :blink:

Yes, a bit (or a lot of snow) modifies the difficulty. While researching potential Alaska caches last spring I got a laugh from the April 15, 2005 log for this cache. Those Alaska cachers are a determined and hardy bunch. :drama:

When I got there on June 15 it really was a 1/1. But I seem to find at least half of the 1/1 micros are at least 3's for me. :blink:

Edited by NevaP

There's one in a local park here (Altoids tin in a tree) that has eluded us several times... went once by myself, once with 4 kids & hubby, once with just my 2 boys, and once with just hubby... nada, zip, zilch... finally decided to not let this become my "white whale" & get on with other caches... best decision I've made yet! :drama:

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Ok, it happened to me today. :drama: That special cache that is posted as a 1 in difficulty and I turn it into a freakin 5 looking for it. Went after this one twice and even fell down the hill getting wet in the stream in the process,and about ready to rent a bush hog or flame thrower to clear the brush.

I looked for an hour on both occasions and came up empty. :blink: It's there because someone found it between my first and second attempts at it and they were only a day apart. I contact the hider for a clue and go back out for a third attempt. 10 seconds in ,DOH! :blink: there it is. Slap the forhead and go how could I miss it?!?!?!?!?

I know they are out there so lets hear the stories guys and gals. which easy hunt kicked you around?

I don't know what it was about this altiods tin micro, but both my wife and I just couldn't find it. We drove 60 miles five times before I FINALLY found it...and wouldn't ya know it, it was pretty must right out in the open. I have no idea how we missed it every time.

I Beg Your Pardon...

Sorry, I have no story to share. I've found every 1/1 cache dang near instantly (in plain sight or fairly obvious - yep, yepper everytime) and they were ALL absolutely wheelchair accessible too. Yep, absolutely.

Oh yeah, I've *never* bushwhacked .15 through chest deep saw palmetto to a cache 8 feet off some trail either.

I've never worked the wrong cache description for the coords either. Nope, not once.

I really enjoyed whistler & co Wally's So Easy story.

We'd been caching awhile before we hunted a lamp pole hide. We didn't find it real fast, but not a major struggle either.

It was a magnetic key container (on a dead tree) camouflaged to look like a trail blaze.

That's a very evil idea, I like it a lot. And was the hint, "magnetic hide a key"?