Announcing The "bikedog Memorial Coin."

Cornerstone4

I would take two of the Bikedog coins if they are sold at $10 each, would think twice about getting more than one if they cost more than that... Personally, I think you should encourage people who would be prepared to buy 2 at $15 each to buy 3 at $10 each (!) and maybe release the spare, that way Bikedog can keep caching, but that's personal opinion.

Also, it might be quite nice to raffle one of the novel metal coins, since that gives the rest of us a chance to donate some more cache to the fund. At $1 a ticket it'd allow us all to have a stab at it and put in what we can afford and would keep everyone involved (I'm sure most people can't afford the prices these things go for, and it would be nice to keep everyone involved). I think it was done with one of the EU coins very effectively... Could be done after the auctions so that people who failed to buy it that way can try to win it.

Bambi.

I would take two of the Bikedog coins if they are sold at $10 each, would think twice about getting more than one if they cost more than that... Personally, I think you should encourage people who would be prepared to buy 2 at $15 each to buy 3 at $10 each (!) and maybe release the spare, that way Bikedog can keep caching, but that's personal opinion.

Also, it might be quite nice to raffle one of the novel metal coins, since that gives the rest of us a chance to donate some more cache to the fund. At $1 a ticket it'd allow us all to have a stab at it and put in what we can afford and would keep everyone involved (I'm sure most people can't afford the prices these things go for, and it would be nice to keep everyone involved). I think it was done with one of the EU coins very effectively... Could be done after the auctions so that people who failed to buy it that way can try to win it.

Bambi.

A couple of good points here!

I like your idea of making more coins for less money, and hopefully having some of them actually travel. <_<

My gut instinct was that $10 should be the upper limit, and that appears to be the general consensus. Groundspeak has given official approval, and they also told me if we end up making 1000 coins, we can have "BD" for a custom prefix. (To top it off, they also committed to purchasing coins to help the cause.)

This is a great community we are in!

(I like the raffle idea as well, but I need some input on how we can work that logistically.)

I'm sure I can speak for kealia (he doesn't normally buy non org. coins), and say that we would purchase this coin, as the cause is a good one.

Something to think about and do the math on is whether or not you're better to make less for more money or more for less money. Also depends on how many coins you want to be out there. I think the more there are the more likely that some might end up in caches. Course who knows anymore.

I'm sure I can speak for kealia (he doesn't normally buy non org. coins), and say that we would purchase this coin, as the cause is a good one.

Something to think about and do the math on is whether or not you're better to make less for more money or more for less money. Also depends on how many coins you want to be out there. I think the more there are the more likely that some might end up in caches. Course who knows anymore.

I agree with what you are saying.

I am waiting for the final quotes on the different quantities. My personal desire would be to have 1000 coins made. I guess I'm sentimental, and I'd like to see the "BD" prefix.

I agree with your point that some may actually travel if they are affordable enough. Although this will never be a "cheap" coin.

My intent is to see how much money we will raise once I deduct the costs from the $5000.00. (500 coins at $10.00 each.) Then, figure out how much we need to charge for the coins to make at least that much, and preferrably more by selling 1000 coins. I know we may not sell that many right away, but I feel we will eventually.

So, I feel very confidant in saying that the absolute maximum price will be $10.00. Those of you that can buy more at this price, and release one, that would be awesome.

The memorial is tomorrow, so we will be discussing the particulars there.

Thank you all for your support.

Dave

Just the other day I told my brother, Neoncache, that I was going to have to stop buying coins or I would go broke. However I can't pass up one for such a good cause, count me in for 2 or 3.

Will there be a seperate area on the ordering page for additional donations?

Edited by marvin1226

I am brand new to geocoin collecting and was just reading the forum to become more informed and came across this tragic story. I would like to buy at least 2 coins at up to $15 each as I am not only a father but a grandfather as well. I can only imagine what this family is going through and would like to help in some small way. Thanks to the people who got this going and God bless!

I'll take ten for whatever the price - and also please take this as advance notice that nine of the coins will be put on ebay and all proceeds from the auction will be donated to the daughters fund... can you find out if the fund accepts paypal transfers??

You may ask whomever you are going to have mint the coins if they would consider giving a discount for such a worthy cause - many of the coin makers are now realizing a nice upsurge of business from geocachers and the current coin collecting craze - they may stand to gain more business from those who appreciate that a particular coinmaker is "giving back" in a sense to those supplying his increased business.... worth a try anyway.

I certainly would mention the coinmaker on ebay if there was a discount cost of the coin for this cause.. he gets additional free advertising!

News: Jan 31,2006

We are awaiting the artwork for the dies, then the coins will be released. We are hoping for delivery by the end of this month.

Coins&Pins have given us a discount on the coins, so, with tracking and the custom icon, our cost is $4.05 per coin. After PayPal and shipping costs average out, we should be around $5.00 per coin delivered.

We will be charging $10.00 per coin, in the hopes of raising $5000.00 for the trust fund. We will have the ordering site open this week, so stay tuned for that.

Thanks again for all of your support on this.

Dave