Skeeters And Caching

Poidawg

Recently while hunting down a cache I noticed a bunch of tree holes filled with water and mosquito larva. The worst larva of all a tiger mosquito - their bite is wicked, you feel them biting and they are like stalkers, they dont just buzz around and hope for a good shot. they stalk you... I thought, HEY, why can't geocachers carry some sort of mosquito larva kill stuff, that we can just plunk into a tree hole to kill those pesky skeeters while caching?? I would be willing do to it, and so today I e-mailed my counties Mosquito Abatement to ask what they thought.

Cachers are sometimes in remote areas, walking not riding by real fast like mountain bikers, and we are usually looking right in areas which might have a skeeter larva population that we can zap before they have a chance to zap us. I was wondering how many people would be interested in carrying some sort of moquito dunk while caching? If the mosquito abatement people are all for it, Im more than willing to help lower the skeeter population a bit. I know the dunks they have are geared towards keeping the larva from maturing, but I need to make certain they are ok in a tree environment, and that it is okay with the county...

The lack of response in this forum is surprising. The Bay Area Geocachers are much more responsive.

I got a reply back from the mosquito abatement people. The like this idea and have to run it by the supervisor. They use a polymer which is put into the tree hole and obsorbs all the water, making the water disappear and leaving the mosquito no place to lay her eggs. The polymer dries up in the summer and is good for 4 years!! The mosquitoes which will be targeted are the ones responsible for Heartworm in dogs. As soon as I get the nod for this, I would like to know who would be interested in this and I need ideas on the best way to get the polymer to cachers.

Meeting somewhere, caches just for the polymer...I would like your ideas. This could really make an impact on the mosquito population.

The lack of response in this forum is surprising. The Bay Area Geocachers are much more responsive.

I got a reply back from the mosquito abatement people. The like this idea and have to run it by the supervisor. They use a polymer which is put into the tree hole and obsorbs all the water, making the water disappear and leaving the mosquito no place to lay her eggs. The polymer dries up in the summer and is good for 4 years!! The mosquitoes which will be targeted are the ones responsible for Heartworm in dogs. As soon as I get the nod for this, I would like to know who would be interested in this and I need ideas on the best way to get the polymer to cachers.

Meeting somewhere, caches just for the polymer...I would like your ideas. This could really make an impact on the mosquito population.

I like the idea of a 'polymer cache'.