Help Me Find A Gps.

journey_man

Check out the Magellan Explorist 210. A great little geocaching unit. We got one for my daughter from Tigergps for $156 + shipping. Has 22MB for detail maps and waypoints. Hold 500 waypoints & 200 geocaches at a time and has a usb connection for a PC. Also has Geocache management software. My 10 year old loves it. :anitongue:

Hi, I'm new to this hobby as well. I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. I had purchased the etrex yellow at walmart for $99. but after suggestions from others, I found the Legend at Amazon for $124. I am so glad I changed. I've only started using the Legend but can tell it easier. The rocker button (like a mouse) is worth the extra money. Plus it has a basemap. I'm no expert but I am really enjoying the Legend.

We started with the yellow Garmin Etrex; Amazon has them for $90.

One thing to take into consideration is that the yellow eTrex doens't come with the PC cable. The Legend does. It's a $30 add on with the yellow so when you factor that in, the difference between it and the Legend is minimal.

Ah, this is true. We weren't Premium Members when using the yellow guy. When we joined, I had to pay another $23 for the PC cable.

I would take a serious look at Lowarance products as well. The Lowrance iFINDER GO2 GPS retails for 87 dollars and has some very advanced features and is upgradable. The ifinder GO is 69 bucks and has a lot of kick for the money.

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectro...oifgo2gps1.html

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectro...loifgogps1.html

Edited by trashcann
I would take a serious look at Lowarance products as well. The Lowrance iFINDER GO2 GPS retails for 87 dollars and has some very advanced features and is upgradable. The ifinder GO is 69 bucks and has a lot of kick for the money.

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectro...oifgo2gps1.html

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectro...loifgogps1.html

But if you want/need to download waypoints, etc. I don't think either of the entry level Lowrance's let you do that. I believe lack of ability to interface with a PC is one of the reasons the two models retail so cheap. But given the cost, I've heard they get really really good performance/reception.

But if you want/need to download waypoints, etc. I don't think either of the entry level Lowrance's let you do that. I believe lack of ability to interface with a PC is one of the reasons the two models retail so cheap. But given the cost, I've heard they get really really good performance/reception

How right you are. I leapt before I looked. I saw the two units had nmea input and output and I thought you could upload waypoints to it. The Ifinder H2O is a good value and if you want to add detailed maps and expandable SD cards to it latter on you can. I personally use Magellan products but the thing that attracted me to Magellan 4 years ago as a newbie now attracts me to some of the Lowrance products.

My first year of caching I did a manual input of waypoints and have to admit now its sucks. Having a couple hundred waypoints on your unit will change the way you cache.

The best way to decide in a perfect world is to do a side by side comparison with different units.

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectro...oifh2ogps1.html

Count me as another vote for the Magellan eXplorist 210.

Awesome little unit, great features for a very reasonable price. PC Connectivity, decent memory, very small and compact unit (fits in the hands nicely), awesome reception (usually within 3 Meters accuracy), the included geocaching software is super easy to use. I'm a new cacher myself and this was my purchase of choice after much researching. I personally like the stlye of the Magellans better then the Garmins, having all the buttons and toggles on the front of the unit suits me better then on the side as most Garmins seem to have.

From what I have heard and read though, if you go with the 210 or one of the Garmins suggested above, you'll be getting a great value for your $ and you'll be well on your way to starting geocaching.

Welcome to the sport!

Whatever you do, resist the urge to go cheap. As with most things, buying either the Cadillac or the Radio Flyer when looking four four wheel tansportation, are in the long run likely to be mistakes. -_-<_<<_<

To wit: "I thought about purchasing this one when looking at GPS units but decided against it because it only has 1Mb of memory. Ended up going with a eTrex Legend but kind of wish I would have splurged and picked up the LegendC instead (color screen and three times as much memory as the Legend). The more memory you have the more detailed maps you can load. "

Edited by Team Cotati
One thing to take into consideration is that the yellow eTrex doens't come with the PC cable. The Legend does. It's a $30 add on with the yellow so when you factor that in, the difference between it and the Legend is minimal.

It's useful if your computer has a serial port - which fewer and fewer modern computers do. I had to buy a serial-USB converter cable and download the converter driver before I could get my Legend to talk to my brand new HP.

You don't say how much is too much.

I vote for the Legend C, a significant step up from the regular Legend; you can find it for $200 at most internet GPS retailers. It has color screen, auto-routing capable with optional mapping software, and has a faster processor to redraw its maps.

When you save up a bit (or ask for it as a birtthday/Xmas gift), you can get the optional mapping software to enjoy auto-routing, a feature you can use outside of caching. From the software you get, you'll be able to download detailed maps from anywhere in the USA along with local points of interest. This is a great feature if you travel alot - no more asking for directions!

Good luck with whatever unit you decide on.

The explorsit 210 would be a better choice than the Garmin Legend. THe explorist 210 has a better reciever than the Legend. THe Legend has 22mb of storage for maps the Legend has 8MB and the Explorist has the USB interface were the Garmin has a Serial port. Some newer computers only have USB ports. THe Explorsit is a little more than the Legend, but it is a more GPS then the Legend

When I was trying to decide which one to buy I did my research on the internet. You can find the specs on each one in your price range. I found in comparing features it would be a compromise of what fit my needs the most. Before you buy also check prices at the various internet stores. I bought a Magellan Meredian Color Pack from FactoryOutletStore.com and saved over $200.00 compared to local retail prices. That included the free shipping and not having to pay sales tax.

the Legend has 8MB

Granted, but I don't think I've ever loaded anything other than waypoints to a Legend.

but it is a more GPS then the Legend

you mean more bells and whistles.

No I mean more GPS, while you may have never loaded anything more than waypoints to your legend, I would venture to say most cachers load maps to theirs, the Explorist 210 has almost 3 times the storage space than the Legend.

You can also load an more caches to the exlorist 210.

The explorist 210 has a better receiver than the Legend. This is more than bells and whistles.

By shopping around the explorist 210 can be found for about $30.00 more than the Legend.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

[<_<] I have three different Garmins (etrex, vista, & legend) I use the legend most of the time............the vista and the legend both came with PC cables the etrex not...I did find one on ebay for 12.49 + 5.00 shipping ($17.50) this is also a power cable (cig. lighter) and it works on all three of my units............ :Ppower-cable

Edited by GIDEON-X
Most here would recommend the yellow E-trex by Garmin for around $99.

that is if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

But if you are willing to spend a little bit more money and you drop stuff alot (like me) I suggest you get the Magellan Meridian. I have a Gold and my friends has the Plat but I think they are pretty much the same! I have dropped mine on rocks and it has been in a few streams. If you don't beleive me on how they stand up to terrain read this post

I am using an etrex vista. It has been great so far just using what I can. I am having trouble connecting it to my Mac computer though. I bought the Topo Mac edition software and when it didn't work I called garmin and they said that it doesn't work with macs but it would work if I had Virtual PC, which i do.... now my dilema is that the software is for macs only and not pc compatible... So now I have to possibly spend another hundred dollars on new software. You'd think that it would all work considering Topo has a picture of my GPS on the box and it says GPS ready. Any suggestions out there.

Edited by SAWDUST123

I'm new to all the but I have done some navigating with GPS's. I did some research between the eXplorist line and the Legend unit this past summer and I was leaning pretty stongly on the Legend; that is until Mag. came out with the 210 last fall. With the 210 and the Legend being at the same price, I decided to go with the 210 because of it being 4 years newer technology (we all know what 4 years of tech. advances means in the computer world means). I've only had my unit for 2 weeks and haven't done any serious navigating yet, but I'm pleased with my decision.