Walking Staff With A Point

I use a good stock stick when geocaching. It helps in rough terrain and helps me with my fear of dogs. I'm on the left in this photo.

c687e9f3-358f-4b1e-a6fd-410757c86a99.jpg

The stick is just a stick about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

My question is, how can I put a point on it for ice? I can't just hammer a nail in, I want the point on the outside.

Thanks!

Paul

use a thick framing nail and drill a hole in the end about 2" deep that is just slightly larger than the nail. Epoxy the nail in place then cut/grind off the head so it is about 1/2 long, then you could get a 1 1/2 section of copper pipe that fits around the end of your stick and gule it in place as well for extra support. This may require some shaping of the end but will look very nice when done and it will keep the end from rounding over or flaring out.

I use a good stock stick when geocaching. It helps in rough terrain and helps me with my fear of dogs. I'm on the left in this photo.

c687e9f3-358f-4b1e-a6fd-410757c86a99.jpg

The stick is just a stick about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

My question is, how can I put a point on it for ice? I can't just hammer a nail in, I want the point on the outside.

Thanks!

Paul

That's a beautiful waterfall. Where was this picture taken?

I too wanted a steel point on the end of my staff. You will need a grinder and drill to place this homemade point in the end of your staff.

Go to the hardware store and purchase a "Grade 8" hex head bolt, get one with a 5/16" diameter shank. Drill a 5/16" hole in the bottom of your staff and put some Epoxy glue or polyurethane (gorilla glue) glue in the hole. screw in the bolt and let the glue set for 24 hours. Go to the grinder and sharpen the head of the bolt to a point. I did this about two years ago on a staff I made and have put a lot of miles on the staff and the bolt is still sharp and holds very well on rock.

Happy Hiking!