Any Reason To Activate Coins That Won't Be

Chiro75

I own a whopping two Geocoins, both 2005 MIGO editions, new in their fancy plastic holders. These are not the new ones that were just refurbed or whatever. Both coins have a coin # and Passkey on the plastic holders. I assume this means they are trackable? Would it make any sense to activate these just for the sake of activating them, even though I will either keep them or trade them for other coins and will not be placing them in a cache?

I don't activate my keeper coins. Not because I worry about value, but because I like to use my stats to keep track of only coins I move through caches. So out side of a couple of exceptions, I have only activated coins I plan to put in caches and only logged coins that I moved to another cache. I have considered activating the keepers since I could still generally keep track/remember things, but I also am too lazy to go through my collection and do that! :ph34r:

Edited by carleenp

I activate. Basically, my coin binder got silly big. So I threw all my non-trackable coins into giant jars (they are some sort of plastic tobacco can that my sister has a friend save for me).

All my trackables are activated, placed in their own binder and then listed on a sheet. I take this binder to events (and sometimes some of the others) and folks can look at the coins, take a sheet and log to their hearts content.

My "keepers" are intended to be seen by other cachers, so this is one way they travel -- any additional copies get activated and cached traditionally -- except I give them a little scratched "X" to make them less attractive as a steal.