The Gas Geocoin

wavector

Thanks for the many expressions of interest in this coin. I see that I have explicit permission to link the sale, thank you Groundspeak, I will link the sale when the coin is ready to go. Please don't send requests to purchase the coin to me, I will not be selling the coin directly, the sales will be handled by the online store. I have received many emails as well, many of which will be answered, if you do not receive an answer to your email it is not because it was not received, I just have too many to answer.

I will be setting up a presale for this coin and this will allow local cachers the opportunity to purchase the coin. I will have artwork for the coin at our upcoming event cache and I know cachers from other areas in Alberta have expressed interest. I will be talking to the coin vendor to work out the actual details of the presale.

Oh Yeah.....we just gotta have one of those. Love the dinosaur. One of our geocaching adventures took us to Drumheller last summer.

I found one of your wooden nickels in a Drumheller area cache, that is some nice finish on the nickels, very cool. I cache in Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Drumheller and occassionally Calgary, I see your nick in many log books, you guys go.

I will be passing the presale code to Calgary cachers who express an interest. According to Alberta Economic Development, both of Alberta's main metropolitan regions can be considered separate economic entities so "local" would NOT apply to Calgary but in geocaching terms Calgary is definitely local. :drama: I would really like to see this coin in caches and the Calgary cachers put a lot of coins into caches, I saw another CAC coin in a cache north of Drumheller today.

I have been trying to make a nice icon and it occurred to me that I am never going to have the talent seen represented in some of the icons I see on geocaching.com. I haven't heard anything from the coinmaker about the tracking icon so I am guessing that I will have to provide that.

In order to end up with the nicest possible icon I have decided to accept submissions for the GAS Geocoin Icon and the selected icon's designer will receive a GAS geocoin (it will taken directly from the promotional allotment) I will throw in an airtight and a custom laminated activation card as well.

The geocoin final artwork is posted in the beginning of this thread.

I have several ideas in mind so keep that in front of you if you are thinking of something really radical. ;)

You can post icons on this thread or mail them to me directly wavector@telusplanet.net Groundspeak requires two files for a custom icon, one 32x32 and one 16x16.

Thanks in advance for any and all submissions.

Edited by wavector

A recap of the GAS Geocoin and an update on the icon and the coin name.

The coin will be produced and sold by a well known commerical coin provider, I will post a link to the coin sale page when it is available.

Finding or placing this coin will add a custom icon to your profile, I thought I would receive more submissions !

Here is a cpoy of the new icon

2267e296-b501-4885-9a87-2c1cdb88c247.jpg

The coin will be officially titled "Geocaching Alberta South", that is the string that will appear in your geocaching.com profile when you place or find this geocoin.

The coin will be available in approximately 2 or 3 weeks.

I will link the sales page when it is available.

Thanks again to everyone who has expressed interest in this coin.

Finding or placing this coin will add a custom icon to your profile, I thought I would receive more submissions !

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to when you say 'submissions'.

--Marky

I think they might mean orders. IMO, the influx of new coins in the past couple of months have caused collectors to be more selective. I know I have. It used to be about the icons for me but I've stopped because there are just too many now. And the icon looks similar to the Skirtlifter coins, which came out earlier.

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to when you say 'submissions'.

--Marky

I think they might mean orders. IMO, the influx of new coins in the past couple of months have caused collectors to be more selective. I know I have. It used to be about the icons for me but I've stopped because there are just too many now. And the icon looks similar to the Skirtlifter coins, which came out earlier.

Well, if that's the case, then I can tell you why there are not a lot of order requests. It's because orders aren't taken from these threads any more. Everyone just waits until the site link gets posted and then buys them. There is no real reason to post the intent to buy anymore, is there?

Plus, you make a valid point, there are way too many geocoins being release and it's hard to keep up.

--Marky

the icon looks similar to the Skirtlifter coins

The icon for the coin is very similar to the icon used by The Gas City, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada but the icon features the colours of the Provincial Flag of Alberta, yellow and blue. The Gas City was actually featured on Ripley's Believe it or Not because Medicine Hat used to leave the gas lamps running day and night. Our city still has lights modeled on the original gaslights, the skirts do not lift up on these modern electric lamps though. We do have modern lightposts which have liftable skirts in several locations, no one in Medicine Hat has hidden a geocache in one though ! The face of the coin is a gas lamp because Medicine Hat is The Gas City so whoever made the Skirtlifter coin copied there icon from The Gas City. :ph34r:

the contest to create the icon

That is exactly what I was referring to, the icon creation contest. I really thought more people would offer an icon for a chance to win a free coin.

I have no further updates on the coin except to let people know that I will be contacting everyone about presale password, I will try and get the list together soon, thanks.

:rolleyes: I really like this coin. Our neighbors are from Alberta, and we wanted to introduce them to geocaching. This would be a cool way to start. I'd like to place it in the first cache they get to, so they could have it as a gift. I would like 2 of them please. ;) Thanks!!! Edited by Thump-N-Seek

I have no further updates on the coin except to let people know that I will be contacting everyone about presale password, I will try and get the list together soon, thanks.

So will this coin be sold at the geocoin store or is there some other place where we'll need to go and use the preorder password?

Thanks for all the interest in the GAS gecoin.

This coin will be for sale over there at the same store where you get Signal coins.

:blink:

I have requested that this coin be sold in a minimum order size of four.

I would suggest that buyers interested in this coin make arrangements accordingly, the minimum order size will control PayPal and shipping charges.

The coin should be on sale in a few weeks and there will be a presale on this coin that will be open to local geocachers, I will be sending the presale password out to any locals who express interest.

I would like to see all of these coins be sold locally, the presale password will only be available to local geocachers (Alberta South)

There will be 500 of these coins for sale which will allow 120+ coins to be given away to promote geocaching in Alberta South, that is the purpose of this geocoin sale. I will not have any of these coins to trade nor will I have any of these coins to sell afterwards.

The store staff have advised me that they believe the geocoin will attract interest and this thread confirms that statement. I appreciate all the buyers who have expressed interest in the coin. I am not a collector of geocoins but I do know the joy of finding one in a geocache.

Your best chance of ensuring that you receive a coin would be to plan a trip to Medicine Hat this summer !