The Gas Geocoin

wavector

I have accepted the final artwork for the GAS geocoin and I am opening this thread to inform any geocoin enthusiasts who might be interested. This is a fully geocaching.com trackable, custom icon, geographic geocoin. It was produced to promote geocaching in Alberta South. This geocoin turned out well, mostly because I had a small amount of initial input and then let the geocoin designer do his job, and I think he did a great job on this geocoin. This coin will not be offered for trade, only for sale. The coin will be available in mid February through a commercial coin provider. There are going to be 625 coins made, every coin will be the same, there are no special metal coins. 500 coins will be offered for sale and the remaining unactivated coins will be placed in caches in Alberta South, several may activated and permanently placed allowing locals and visitors to obtain the icon. The initial plan called for 375 to be sold and 125 to be placed. The increased number allowed trackability and the custom icon, I hope geocachers like this coin. This coin will be presold to geocachers in Alberta South. The sale of the coin is intended to generate enough money to pay for the geocoins that are given away.

When people think of dinosaurs they think of Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell Museum but the real resource in Alberta South is Dinosaur Provincial Park, just 45 minutes NW of Medicine Hat. This park is one of three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Alberta South, it is the field station of the Royal Museum in Drumheller and one of the best places in the world to find dinosaur bones, maybe the best. Dinosaur Provincial Park is one of the destinations most enjoyed by our children who spend hours at play in the strange landscape. In addition to Dinosaur Provincial Park which is east of Brooks, the recent finds in Warner's Dinosaur Coulee, south of Lethbridge, Alberta are also internationally significant. It was the coin designer who chose to use the dinosaur for emphasis and I really like the result. The face of the coin is a gas lamp, representing Medicine Hat, The Gas City. There may be those reading who think that this boast is empty, like many smaller cities we aggrandize our benefits, this isn't so, we are "The Gas City", even Ripley's Believe it or Not agrees. Historically it was cheaper to leave the cities gaslights running than to hire a man to turn them off. The Medicine Hat City Council sets the price of natural gas for city residents each year in January. Last year the City set the price at $2.93CDN a gigajoule (no misprint), this year in a four to three vote the City Council increased the price of gas a lot, we will pay over $5.00CDN a gigajoule for the next year.

I expect some interest in this coin from people in the UK, Medicine Hat has deep roots in the UK as many of the local gals end up marrying soldiers stationed in Suffield with the BATU's, British Army Training Unit, the BATU's have been coming to Medicine Hat and Suffield for a long long time. The Medicine Hat City Council contemplated changing the name of the city near the turn of the century, it is derived from the native word "saamis" which means a Medicine Man's hat. Rudyard Kipling actually wrote the city telling them not to do it. True Monty Python fans may also recognize the city name from a skit that was done of the weekly TV show, few cities in Canada are more recognizable in England. I have found a nearby geocache that is actually placed by someone in England and maintained by the local in-laws.

That is some background information on the coin, the great folks who produced the coin are well known to everyone and they have my thanks for this geocoin. Here is an image of the final artwork.

Comments are welcome.

17a5ef51-3872-4bdb-8e8f-527044a0af53.jpg

Wow, way too much text for me to actually read the whole thing, but scanning through, I didn't see info on how to actually order one of these great coins. Is this just a post to let people know it's coming out?

I love Royal Tyrell Museum - great place to visit, and would love to get one of these coins, I just haven't figured out how yet.

Great design! When will ordering start?

The coin sale will begin in mid February and will be handled by the other place through their unique online store. I am not a coin collector so I have never tried the online store but I liked the fact that I will have little to do with the actual sale. The worksheet shows a little money due back but the flex allowed in the number of buyers could easily take all that, if there is any excess it will be used to buy airtights for the giveaways. It may never be for general sale, the local cachers may buy up every coin, this would be best but this is not likely.

The new policy prevents linking to the sale site.

My logs are long winded too... :ph34r:

I just wanted to write it all out at once.

The coin will be priced at $8.00 and will be for sale over there --> at a coin place.

I am working on the icon, I will post it when it is finished.

I'm sure some clarifications are forthcoming, but as I interpret the rules, I think you can link to any site that's selling your coins as long as they're GC trackable. I'd wait on the clarifications to be sure, but regardless, I really do like your coin!

wavector - thank you for treading lightly while things get clarified.

To expeite getting an answer to your question: ""Can I post a link to a site where my GC.com trackable coin can be bought?" please send an email to the address listed in this portion of the guidelines.

Links to other commercial coin selling, coin tracking, coin trading and coin manufacturing web sites will be permitted only with permission from Groundspeak. Permission requests may be sent to bizdev (at) Groundspeak.com.

ANd again, thanks for your patience while we try to make things clear for everybody.

- FSM

As per the new guidelines, I finally get to tell someone to post a link!

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization."

So if your coin IS trackable, as you say (and I quote you: This is a fully geocaching.com trackable, custom icon, geographic geocoin.) then go ahead and post a link.

Coins that aren't trackable need permission, send the email as the Flying Spaghetti Monster described above.

As per the new guidelines, I finally get to tell someone to post a link!

"This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization."

So if your coin IS trackable, as you say (and I quote you: This is a fully geocaching.com trackable, custom icon, geographic geocoin.) then go ahead and  post a link. 

Basically, I would hold off posting the link until your artwork has been approved by Groundspeak. Once you have approval, then it should be fine to post a link to where it's sold. At least that's my take on it.

--Marky