What Kind Of Vehicle Do You Drive While Geocaching

uncleboogie

I've already posted mine in another thread, but this is about the best way to cache I can think of!

XR650L.jpg

GPSRunner,

You should plant a cache near that fence and call it "The Great Escape".

The bike, the hills and the fence puts me in mind of that great Steve McQueen film by that name.

As I tend to cache a lot in the city, my trusty Gemini Panelvan. Cheap enough for a uni student to own, brilliant fuel consumption around town, small enough to park unobtrusively in random places.

For the caches with harder tracks I occasionaly have to actually borrow my Dad's old Jeep Cherokee. However, that said I can get my Gemini into some off places (and get her out again :ph34r:)

'03 Harley Davidson - And my friend ChopperRidinChapy's '08 Nightster. It makes planning your route a little more interesting, but makes for some great photos when caching.

stopMedium.jpg

And it's alway fun to cross a river in motorcycle boots pursuing a cache. Just ask my wife:

29539315-e761-43ad-a475-9b9b56a6077a.jpg

And then there was my Iraq caching vehicles:

M1151:

47970d0d-aa65-4cac-b872-aafd5331f4c7.jpg

M1244:

01-TheTruck.jpg

'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gets me about anywhere, winter or summer...

Dagger kayaks and a Crestliner fishin boat for those that are on islands (theres one I have looked for twice now... just keeps hiding from me)

Mountain bike and a good pair of hiking shoes / boots

I suppose this summer I will have to add snowshoes to the resume.

Our cachemobiles serve two purposes - 1. To get us there and back, and 2. It keeps the muggles clueless :laughing:

F350 4x4 Diesel (Overkill, but our F250 4x4 was out doing other training)

f350.jpg

4x4 Mule complete with red and blue lights :P

mule.jpg

Actually, this is the first time we used geocaching for official GPS training in our Search and Rescue unit and mrjlsmith and I are going to try and work it into standard curriculum.

My normal cachemobile is a 2008 Dodge Ram quad cab.

On a side note, we stopped at a cache and were pulling coordinates, getting a bearing and generally looking confused with papers about, compass in one hand and a GPS in the other when a Game Warden drives up. He looks over at us with our blaze orange shirts with SEARCH AND RESCUE across the back and says, "Did ya'll lose somethin'!?" Gotta love the cross departmental jokes :P

'03 Harley Davidson - And my friend ChopperRidinChapy's '08 Nightster. It makes planning your route a little more interesting, but makes for some great photos when caching.

stopMedium.jpg

And it's alway fun to cross a river in motorcycle boots pursuing a cache. Just ask my wife:

29539315-e761-43ad-a475-9b9b56a6077a.jpg

And then there was my Iraq caching vehicles:

M1151:

47970d0d-aa65-4cac-b872-aafd5331f4c7.jpg

M1244:

01-TheTruck.jpg

Yeah Caching on the tax payer's dime. Awesome.

M1244:

01-TheTruck.jpg

Well, there's not much else to do in Iraq on your free time other than work out at the gym and go caching. Our little Nissan pickup got a lot of miles in Iraq chasing caches, but when pursuing caches on other bases, we preferred the armored trucks to get us there in one piece.

M1244:

01-TheTruck.jpg

Well, there's not much else to do in Iraq on your free time other than work out at the gym and go caching. Our little Nissan pickup got a lot of miles in Iraq chasing caches, but when pursuing caches on other bases, we preferred the armored trucks to get us there in one piece.

Been there three times and haven't had the time to go caching. Oh yah and the whole thing about caches not being listed on military posts.

"Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches near or on military installations. "

There is no reason it should be done over there, and is a clear violation of the Rules. I don't understand why some rules are broken, especially in a war zone.

Edited by izce.nine

Well, we had been driving either a Ford Ranger or a Mercury Villager, both 1996, but the van got t-boned and I traded the truck because we needed something with "people space" to replace the van. So now we have a 2002 Ford Exploder (yeah, you read right :rolleyes: ). I've I'd have known what a piece of &%*@ it was when we bought it, we wouldn't have. We drove it to Oklahoma the day after we bought it and not a week and a half into the trip, one of the rear wheel bearings basically explodes. Mandotheneset thankfully has an uncle who works on cars, since the dealer wanted us to drive it back to Kansas for them to fix it (they'd do it for free, but the wheel was barely hanging on, not so great for 5 hours on the highway).

Needless to say, I don't trust the thing well enough to off-road with it. So any off road caching is going to be of the hiking variety :) .

Grr. There's my rant for the day :) Moral: don't buy 2002 Exploders.

Just wondering what kind of vehicle do people drive while Geocaching. Do you have 4x4's for the off-road cache's? Are there road warriors that mainly stick to the ones that you can drive right up to, or hike back?

I like to drive my 2005 Lotus and park away from the search--it draws all the attention and I can search in peace

Edited by Rat Rat