What Kind Of Vehicle Do You Drive While Geocaching

uncleboogie

I cached all year with a beat up 1990 Pontiac 4 door car. The car just died and now I drive the family minivan. I definately won't drive the newer vehicle to some places I drove the old beater. I will also think twice about bombing down gravel roads when my vehicle is clean- I hardly ever washed my old car. Oh well!

Had a 1994 Dodge Caravan Sport with 175K mileage on it and got 23mpg in city and 28 highway!

Can't find anything new that even comes close :D

Got some 50mpg 4X4 diesels in europe but, not here :D

Took that van where most jeeps have been :D But very slow!

Had to dump her when drivers door fell off on interstate :D

Now Drive one of 100 V8 oldsmobile Alero's :sad: ; and it gets an amazing 24 mpg highway!

0-60 in 4.39 seconds. :sad:

SCLAVE B)

Just wondering what kind of vehicle do people drive while Geocaching. Do you have 4x4's for the off-road cache's? Are there road warriors that mainly stick to the ones that you can drive right up to, or hike back?

If I can I use a Nissan Micra i.4L

I firmly believe that we should be reducing our carbon footprint, and geocaching is not the most 'green' activities around.This car has a 36-40mpg fuel consumption I can sleep easy at night and know I am doing my bit to save the planet !!

If longer distances are required I take my Ford Focus estate which now has all weather tyres and can take me practically anywhere in most weather conditions [driving to Swiss Alps in Feb]. 4 wheel drive vehicles are not required in the UK and generally speaking are not acceptable unless you are a 'chav' [slang brit word]

I believe things are different in other parts of the world however !!!

I firmly believe that we should be reducing our carbon footprint, and geocaching is not the most 'green' activities around.This car has a 36-40mpg fuel consumption I can sleep easy at night and know I am doing my bit to save the planet !!

If longer distances are required I take my Ford Focus estate which now has all weather tyres and can take me practically anywhere in most weather conditions [driving to Swiss Alps in Feb]. 4 wheel drive vehicles are not required in the UK and generally speaking are not acceptable unless you are a 'chav' [slang brit word]

I believe things are different in other parts of the world however !!!

I firmly believe that we should be reducing our carbon footprint, and driving to the swiss alps is not the most 'green' activities around. By not driving to the swiss alps I can sleep easy at night and know I am doing my bit to save the planet !!

Generally speaking driving to the swiss alps is not acceptable unless you are a 'chav on tour' [slang brit word]

:anicute::blink:;):P

I firmly believe that we should be reducing our carbon footprint, and driving to the swiss alps is not the most 'green' activities around. By not driving to the swiss alps I can sleep easy at night and know I am doing my bit to save the planet !!

Generally speaking driving to the swiss alps is not acceptable unless you are a 'chav on tour' [slang brit word]

:blink:;):P:anicute:

Not sure you understand English slang !! Chav refers to those driving around in 4X4 's . cite the number of them in Essex and many local authority estates around Britain.

Also known as 'Urban Tractors' [You really need them in these urban areas of course!

A car full of passengers [5] is the most environmentally sound method of traffic.

With this full load it's better a tortoise than being an environmental dinasaur!

Most Geocachers in the U.K I know are responsibly driving appropriate vehicles for their needs thank goodness.

Not sure you understand English slang !! Chav refers to those driving around in 4X4 's . cite the number of them in Essex and many local authority estates around Britain.

Also known as 'Urban Tractors' [You really need them in these urban areas of course!

A car full of passengers [5] is the most environmentally sound method of traffic.

With this full load it's better a tortoise than being an environmental dinasaur!

Most Geocachers in the U.K I know are responsibly driving appropriate vehicles for their needs thank goodness.

I'm not getting into an argument or indeed and further banter over this, this is my last post... What I was trying to do, using your own words, is add some humour to the fact that you see fit to preach on reducing carbon footprints, and then announce you are driving all the way to the swiss alps and currently own TWO vehicles! I suggest you investigate the size of CO2 footprint the construction of a single vehicle generates and the amount of CO2 you'll be producing during your trip! Holidaying in the swiss Alps is about as necessary as a 4x4 in an urban environment!

J

I gave up on the old 1991 Ford Wagon and got a 2001 Pontiac Aztek. Hauls a bunch-o-stuff, gets decent gas milage ( mine averages around 22 mpg) and it is really easy to find in a parking lot.

2001-Pontiac-Aztek.jpg

I think it looks the evil offspring from a tryst between a General Dynamics HMV and a Honda CRX.

Out of all the cars/2wd/4wd ive seen, been in, or driven the mitsubishi Delica is gotta be the most spacious 4wd ever with plenty of foot sapce for the taller cachers and has plenty of battery power for that car inveter so the laptop loaded with various navagational software can be used ( instead of using paper or silly tom tom) and it has alot more clearance than most 4wd (as stock suspension). :unsure:

My first car was a 1973 Ford Maverick. I loved that car (and still have it!). It was so much fun to drive, and although it is suffering from some car cancer, the heater core is gone, and the AC doesn’t work, it remained my favorite car. 1Ladybuggal, on the other hand, is thoroughly disgusted by the Maverick especially when I remind her that “it’ll be yours someday.” After the Mav, I had a couple of cars, and most recently, a Nissan Sentra (which is the only other car the Gal remembers). The Sentra is not designed for Central Nebraska driving conditions, especially rain and snow. The 13" tires rarely cleared the ruts on the gravel roads, and driving was a stressful daily activity. Last year, the Gal and I began the process of looking for a new car. I will preface this by saying, I drive cars “til they’re dead” and I’d rather “floss the cat’s teeth, than go car shopping.”

After a long search, we finally settled on a Ford Edge. It has great ground clearance, rides like a car, and.....

It’s PURPLE!. ( :huh: I let the Gal pick the color).

Now the “Purple People-eater” is our choice of transportation and geocaching is definitely a lot more enjoyable, especially now that we can bring along friends.!!! :)

1Ladybugmom

It depends. If the Wife/Baby/Dogs are with me... it is the Envoy. 4x4 with all terrains. Before it was my Jeep TJ "Lady Bird".

LadyBird.JPG

Since -SADLY- I sold my TJ to put a chunk of dollars down on our house, I am forced into the Envoy. However, if the it is not too too cold 40 or below and the family stays at home, I will take either CacheMoto 1 or CacheMoto 2. CacheMoto 1 is for the narley backroads and trails. While CacheMoto 2 likes the urban and scenic road finds.

CacheMoto 1 - 03 BMW F650 Dakar Enduro

DBB_cache.jpg

CacheMoto 2 - 07 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic

cachemoto2.jpg

Edited by TJ Willy

We have a Jeep Liberty and a 8-CYL 4X4 Quardrotrac II Jeep Grand Cherokee... almost always seen dirty, parked off the side of the road or at some state park, with two kayaks on top and two mountain bikes on the back.... and if either of those are not on board then we're usually no where to be found :rolleyes:

GeoJeep01.jpg

Edited by infiniteMPG