What Kind Of Vehicle Do You Drive While Geocaching

uncleboogie

1999 Saturn sports car-- darn cute but not great for caching. In my area, there aren't a whole bunch of way off road caches, so I drive to parks/areas where I can get close, and then I walk in. It works great for me. Even if I could afford a car specifically for geocaching, I am a student and don't have tons of time to dedicate to caching, unfortunately.

My cache mobil and also my personal TB is this ´90 Jeep Cherokee.

e56987ad-839a-4082-814c-5f1df8bee257.jpg

Booya! Nice ride!

Here's my 2000 Jeep Cherokee, currently at 95,000 miles.

IMG_3224.jpg

And here it is on the way to the Offroad Adventure Cache.

offroad4.jpg

Here's a video clip of it in shake & bake mode.

My alternate cachemobile is my Giant Rincon SE with handlebar-mounted Garmin eTrex.

Looks like we need to start a Geocaching XJ Club.

Heres mine

0a1e551a-993d-49f2-a8f3-652d30ce5614.jpg

Heres another one for the XJ club its an 88 and we use it for camping, hiking, offroading you name it.

DSCN5214.jpg

DSCN5277.jpg

DSCN6087.jpg

For urban and suburban caches and caches on paved roads I ride the ACE; a 99 Honda Shadow 750 ACE.

Ace.jpg

For the dirt roads and mild offroading I drive Big Max; an 04 HD2500, 4x4, Duramax diesel Silverado.

BigMax.jpg

For really serious offroad caches there is always Little Max. A 1999 Recreative Max IV, six wheel drive, amphibous ATV.

LittleMax.jpg

Nice to see all the capable offroad vehicles out there. Mine is an '88.5 Suzuki Samurai sporting a 5" spring over lift and 31" tires for now. It has lockers front and rear and a lower geared t-case. I replaced the gasser under the hood with a VW diesel out of an '82 rabbit and have a turbo diesel from an '85 Jetta waiting to go in this summer. Diesel is cheaper than gas right now and I am getting about 35MPG with this setup plus once I am in my new house with my shop I will be making my own biodiesel :D

DCP_1312.jpg

paragon-01-28-06-74.jpg

Nice to see all the capable offroad vehicles out there. Mine is an '88.5 Suzuki Samurai sporting a 5" spring over lift and 31" tires for now. It has lockers front and rear and a lower geared t-case. I replaced the gasser under the hood with a VW diesel out of an '82 rabbit and have a turbo diesel from an '85 Jetta waiting to go in this summer. Diesel is cheaper than gas right now and I am getting about 35MPG with this setup plus once I am in my new house with my shop I will be making my own biodiesel :D

That ROCKS! It looks like a capable little vehicle that could fit in some really tight spots and go just about anywhere with those lockers.

I wish I had a diesel in my Ranger. I'd love to try the bio-diesel option. :D

Nice to see all the capable offroad vehicles out there. Mine is an '88.5 Suzuki Samurai sporting a 5" spring over lift and 31" tires for now. It has lockers front and rear and a lower geared t-case. I replaced the gasser under the hood with a VW diesel out of an '82 rabbit and have a turbo diesel from an '85 Jetta waiting to go in this summer. Diesel is cheaper than gas right now and I am getting about 35MPG with this setup plus once I am in my new house with my shop I will be making my own biodiesel ;)

DCP_1312.jpg

paragon-01-28-06-74.jpg

I like the turbo-diesel idea in your Samuri. Always wanted to drop one in an old CJ7. They tend to run cooler and have lots of low in torque. Just what you need when offroading.

Nice to see all the capable offroad vehicles out there. Mine is an '88.5 Suzuki Samurai sporting a 5" spring over lift and 31" tires for now. It has lockers front and rear and a lower geared t-case. I replaced the gasser under the hood with a VW diesel out of an '82 rabbit and have a turbo diesel from an '85 Jetta waiting to go in this summer. Diesel is cheaper than gas right now and I am getting about 35MPG with this setup plus once I am in my new house with my shop I will be making my own biodiesel ;)

Nice. There's a guy with a Samurai like yours who added a Frybrid system to it and runs it mainly on WVO.

Lets see....

Group caching - 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan

Family caching - 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan

Solo caching - 1994 Pontiac Grand Am...soon to be replaced with a 2006 Toyota Prius.

That minivan can take on some rough stuff too..... dirt roads, sand roads, gravel roads, old logging roads partially grown over, muddy raods, water logged roads..... yeah, the things our minivan can do....

The Grand Am? Best to stick to paved roads..........

The Prius....can't wait to test it out. Although selective road testing conditions will be in order. ;)

593bbed7-6743-488e-9c02-42341c39fe20.jpg

The Monkeymobile model line up for 06 includes:

2003 Ford Excursion - 4WD room for eight, multiple power outlets, gps antennas for all three rows of seats, laptop, satellite radio, etc. basically any goodie that we could think of to make caching better/easier/faster has been added to this truck, I think it is pretty, but this is one Excursion that is not afraid to get dirty.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 - 4WD 3" lift, Micky Thompson 35's. stock 258, she is plain, but she is tough, Garmin GPS V mounted on dash used as accurate speedometer. (it is a big tire thing)

2001 Ford F-150 - My wife's truck, our caching machine when it is just the two of us.

2003 Honda Shadow Aero - Great for weekend caching trips, Garmin GPS V mounted on handlebars.

2005 K2 Zed 2.0 Mountain Bike - 100% monkey-powered caching machine, Garmin Legend mounted on bars.

1994 24' deck boat with Yamaha 200 horse outboard motor. (unpictured)

2005 ECCO raptor hiking boots (unpictured).

The mothership of cache-mobiles..

d01fedfe-5f0b-4702-80e6-6222e46fd2ca.jpg

Hey isn't that the limo that sits on 11/15 at that firworks place or what ever it is?

Very astute observation codeman3, yes, that is where the mothership is docked. If you drove past it you missed a cache and a neat benchmark find just down the road, GC7331 - DIRTY GIRTY & Benchmark KW3136 (N 40 29.751 W 076 57.995).

I would drive an Subaru Outback, (I would love to geocache and now camping on Memorial's day looks more tempting then ever)... but the question is - how do I search for off road for AWD caches? Do I just pick one and see where it takes me? Or is there a way to search the site for such places to drive to?

New to caching, I'm mostly ticking off sites close to home (so far about half urban and half quasi-urban). I've gone to almost all by bicycle, either my Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo for off-road travels or my LeMond Buenos Aires for road travel. I have driven my Honda Element to a couple of trailheads and hiked in for a few, but I could have just as easily biked to the trailheads. Human Powered Vehicles (HPV) are the way to go!!!

The Red Rocket was my primary 'caching vehicle. It was a '95 Geo Metro hatchback, fully loaded with the 4-cylinder engine, as opposed to the standard 3-cylinder :-D

Unfortunately it had to be sacrificed in the name of family comfort in the face of a second geo-rugrat on it's way. Now I'm cruising in a '97 Nissan Sentra, complete with Signal antenna topper and Geocaching window decal.

Not much need for 4wd here in the mountains of central Florida. Although I did take out my wife's grandmother's '69 Toyota Landcruiser, affectionately named 'Cornbread' when we were in Colorado. What a blast!

The mothership of cache-mobiles..

d01fedfe-5f0b-4702-80e6-6222e46fd2ca.jpg

Man, is it me, or is that thing sagging in the middle?...lol

Nawww...It's the picture. The car is so long, you see, that they had to consider the curvature of the earth. So what you see in the photo is some Great Circle math being used to flatten out the horizon causing the car to appear warped...

(yeah, ok, so i'm a couple months behind....so what? :lol: )

3285f538-18c0-4321-8b1d-a90b3f49d94a.jpgthis is what i am riding around caching on this summer

Is that one of those Rooskie "Ural" rigs? Looks cool. If it is, and if I remember right, the sidecar wheel is driven, correct?

YUPPERS ITS A URAL AND YUP ITS A TWO WHEEL DRIVE

Edited by 2trax

Looks like we need to start a Geocaching XJ Club.

Count me in! Mine isn't near as nice as the rest I've seen on here, but I bought it for a beater....something that I could cache in, and take wheeling and not have to worry about denting/scratching/etc, and to get me through the snow in the winter. To be honest, I was wanting a CJ or Wrangler, but I couldn't pass up the deal on mine. After owning it for a couple years, and experiencing what XJ's are capable of, I have much more respect for them than I did before owning one.

'86 Jeep Wagoneer (XJ), 2.8l V6, auto, Command Trac. 218,000+ miles. 3" Rusty's lift, 30"x9.5/15 A/Ts. Non-matching doors due to replacing the originals after the bottom of both of the front doors fell off because of rust. :ph34r:

jeep2.jpg

For the longer road trips, and caches where I don't need 4x4 (most of them around here).... '96 Ford T-bird. 3.8l V-6. 161,000+ miles. A few things done to it to free up a little power, but nothing much..I wanted to keep the decent gas mileage. It's a bad pic, but it's all I have handy right now.

tbird2.jpg

'03 Pontiac Vibe GT. A true pocket rocket. Six speed, turns on a dime, great gas mileage, and nice extras to include built in 115 volt inverter. Can handle most off-road conditions that I've encountered in Central Texas but when the going gets rough, it's time to dismount and use my Mk I LPCs (Leather Personnel Carriers.)