What Kind Of Vehicle Do You Drive While Geocaching

uncleboogie

2000 Chevy Cavalier ~123000 miles. The heat/AC blower doesn't work. And if you are going faster than around 65 mph and turn on the windshield wipers, they won't turn off until I slow down some. Figure that one out :) . I really need a 4x4- a Cherokee would be nice. I can't believe I haven't gotten my car stuck yet with some of the places I've taken it.

Well lessee. If I'm by myself it will be my lifted 93 Wrangler. If Koilady is riding shotgun, most likely her 96 Grand Cherokee, and if we have the time on our lunch hour (we work together transporting foster kids, her real job, my part time job) we go in a 15 passenger Ford van. No, we don't do much muddin' in that one. Hey, that's always urban stuff, hardly wet streets even.

HG

:( We drive a Honda Odyssey van - hence our name! Just wanted to put this in to make a change from all those big SUVs listed above! We have just been geocaching in our suburban/urban area but I don't think we will ever be driving across the tops of mountain ranges, through swamps, etc. It's fun to geocache without making it a wilderness survival event.
My cache mobil and also my personal TB is this ´90 Jeep Cherokee.

e56987ad-839a-4082-814c-5f1df8bee257.jpg

Booya! Nice ride!

Here's my 2000 Jeep Cherokee, currently at 95,000 miles.

IMG_3224.jpg

And here it is on the way to the Offroad Adventure Cache.

offroad4.jpg

Here's a video clip of it in shake & bake mode.

My alternate cachemobile is my Giant Rincon SE with handlebar-mounted Garmin eTrex.

Looks like we need to start a Geocaching XJ Club.

Heres mine

0a1e551a-993d-49f2-a8f3-652d30ce5614.jpg

:anibad: [pointless image removed]

It's the Cache Machine. :)

Yep, it's the very first one. :anibad:

The real one. :)

The famous purple jeep. :P

If they ever get our movie thru the Sundance festival, and then released, you will get to see it in the movie documentary. "Adventures in Geocaching".

:laughing: So is this the famous jeep that you take onto "hiking trails, sidewalks and public parkland"? (Monterey Herald article)

As someone just getting interested in this activity, it was pretty discouraging to find that it has attracted yahoos who only seem interested in ripping apart the countryside with obscenely overpowered gas guzzlers in pursuit of "the numbers". Why on earth would anyone want to brag about finding a cache in 7 minutes? Get a life!

Fortunately, it seems that such people are the exception. But it really is too bad that a search on geocaching brings up an article that includes a quote by someone who so evidently is out of synch with what attracts most of us to the activity.

If they ever get our movie thru the Sundance festival, and then released, you will get to see it in the movie documentary. "Adventures in Geocaching".

:laughing: So is this the famous jeep that you take onto "hiking trails, sidewalks and public parkland"? (Monterey Herald article)

As someone just getting interested in this activity, it was pretty discouraging to find that it has attracted yahoos who only seem interested in ripping apart the countryside with obscenely overpowered gas guzzlers in pursuit of "the numbers". Why on earth would anyone want to brag about finding a cache in 7 minutes? Get a life!

Fortunately, it seems that such people are the exception. But it really is too bad that a search on geocaching brings up an article that includes a quote by someone who so evidently is out of synch with what attracts most of us to the activity.

Gosh, I don't even drive one of those "obscenely overpowered gas guzzlers in pursuit of "the numbers,"" and I find your post offensive. I've searched for geocaches by car, by truck and travel trailer, on foot, on bicycle, and on off-road motorcycle. When I'm on my off-road dirt bike, whether I'm geocaching or not, I'm certainly not "ripping apart the countryside," since I always ride in designated areas where off-road vehicles are permitted. I'll stand by other off-roaders and say that you, my friend, need to get a life and stop worrying about what others do.

This boys and girls, is probably a good example of how to get friendly with the forum mods. Probably the only friends they will make after a post like that.

PS: That article was discussed here in great length when it came out. Bottom line: don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

--clip--

:anibad: So is this the famous jeep that you take onto "hiking trails, sidewalks and public parkland"? (Monterey Herald article)

This boys and girls, is probably a good example of how to get friendly with the forum mods. Probably the only friends they will make after a post like that.

PS: That article was discussed here in great length when it came out. Bottom line: don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

There should be an emoticon for "egg on face" for my overly-hasty post -- I evidentally forgot the cardinal forum rule: reread, then think before replying!

In particular, I should apologize for my unintended implication that off-road enthusiasts were all the same as the one whose post I'd replied to. I was certainly not intending to offend anyone who uses their off-road vehicles responsibly (like hide & seekers). As someone who has had to contend with far too many irresponsible off-roaders trespassing on the skiing and walking trails on my property adjoining a park, I admit I have a pretty short fuse about abusers. I recently had to repair a fence ATVers had cut to get onto my property to drive on my trails. They also literally tore apart a large bed of fairly rare orchids. (The tire marks make me suspect they were the same clowns who poached a deer just before hunting season and left its guts on the trail.)

I found the article in question while doing research for a story about geocaching. Unfortunately, it appeared near the top of my search hits -- and seemed to confirm exactly what had just been expressed to me as a problem about geocaching by someone working for the authorities who manage a local park. I wanted to find out a bit more about it of course, and it wasn't too difficult to track down the individual quoted in the article. It happened that the trail ended at the posting about the jeep, and the content under the image certainly seemed to support the story's quote.

I didn't see any previous discussion about the article within these forums because I wasn't looking for any. But, after seeing Mopar's post (and not disagreeing with his sentiment in fact), I was able to find the thread. Had I found it before I posted, I probably would not have bothered since many others apparently feel the same way about it as I do.

Whether or not the "power cacher" quoted was being facetious, he WAS quoted: it is on record in a number of places on the Internet, and his quote ends up presenting a face about geocaching that is certainly not very positive.

So, I apologize for the snarky tone in my posting, but not for expressing my worry about what others who purport to be representing us are doing. If we don't speak up within our own communities, someone looking in will be only too happy to use such evidence to push for regulations. Then we all lose.

EricF,

May I offer you a nice washcloth to wipe that egg off your face? We all hate to hear about irresponsible off-roaders or park visitors or anyone who does not respect the environment so I understand where you're coming from.

Hey! So what do you drive while geocaching??? -_-

(edited to add a big smilie for EricF!)

Edited by hide & seekers

EricF,

May I offer you a nice washcloth to wipe that egg off your face? We all hate to hear about irresponsible off-roaders or park visitors or anyone who does not respect the environment so I understand where you're coming from.

Hey! So what do you drive while geocaching??? -_-

(edited to add a big smilie for EricF!)

Thanks hide & seekers, that washcloth felt good! :P

I'm either in a usually-dusty 2002 Honda Accord or a 1990 Dodge Dakota 4WD. The latter doesn't get a lot of use when we go any distances because it really is a gas guzzler -- although it sure beats the Honda for bringing along our canoe, diving gear and mountain bikes!

Nissan XTerra 4x4, it's my geocaching, biking, hiking, camping vehicle.

Man...sure do love my '06 Xterra! First new car in 33 years...and LOTS of fun.

No real need for 4X4 in this area, and I'm on a budget, but the high ground clearance, versatility

and fun factor make this one a winner for me.

Nissan XTerra 4x4, it's my geocaching, biking, hiking, camping vehicle.

Man...sure do love my '06 Xterra! First new car in 33 years...and LOTS of fun.

No real need for 4X4 in this area, and I'm on a budget, but the high ground clearance, versatility

and fun factor make this one a winner for me.

HUMOR ALERT: The following is intended to be humorous!

IF IT'S NOT 4X4, IT'S

CRAAAAAPPP! :ph34r:

to paraphrase an old SnL skit.

My favorite caching vehicle: 1963 Land Rover Series IIA 109 Station Wagon:

geocaching2.jpg

Huh! I am almost 100% positive that I parked right next to this vehicle when I did either the "Callahan Extreme" or "Callahan for Kids Too" cache. I saw the decal and was wondering whose it was.

You probably did! The second photo was taken at the Callahan Park lot, while I was doing one of the caches there...

2000 suzuki esteem crap... I mean coupe.

What is funny is that here in central Florida there are alot of sand roads. the guys in their 4X4's look at me funny when I go by them on the sandy forest roads in my car. only got stuck once. it is so light that a 4-wheeler pulled me out. <_<

Just wondering what kind of vehicle do people drive while Geocaching. Do you have 4x4's for the off-road cache's? Are there road warriors that mainly stick to the ones that you can drive right up to, or hike back?

A 4x4 Geo Tracker ( I just noticed how appropriate my Tracker is for geocaching) and a VW Thing (181)> My "Thing" can go just about any where a conventional Jeep can go:) Please, no challenges:)

Edited by Wild Thing 73

If it's just the two of us, it is the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Gt (amazing where that thing can go!) And if we have the herdlettes with us, it is the 1996 Pontiac TranSport. Which, by the way, is great for meeting other cachers...when you have to pull them off the trail to help you get unstuck from deep mud...hence them naming our van the "herd-mobile"

Does that mean that I use my van to pick up cachers??? :D

Edited by The Herd

Wow, once again I am surprised to be the only one here to post this reply. :D

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD Not the highest clearance in its category, but enough to get me close to any of the caches around here, and in style and comfort. I needed something that had enough cargo room for my offsite catering gigs, yet was still fun enuff to drive. The CVT transmission is pretty unique and amazingly smooth. Going on 56,000 miles with no issues so far.

A 1994 Isuzu Rodeo, with about 147,000 miles on it. It has a cassette player, the dashboard's all faded, some of the paint is faded on the outside, and the A/C smells kinda funny, but it works. :bad:

Haven't actually used it for off-roading caching trips as (1) we haven't done one, and (2) we're afraid it might fall apart (no 4-wheel drive). :o

c5e68e80-c060-4c35-81ff-da09d361fc95.jpg

Edited by Dragonfire870

A 1994 Isuzu Rodeo, with about 147,000 miles on it. It has a cassette player, the dashboard's all faded, some of the paint is faded on the outside, and the A/C smells kinda funny, but it works. :unsure:

Haven't actually used it for off-roading caching trips as (1) we haven't done one, and (2) we're afraid it might fall apart (no 4-wheel drive). ;)

c5e68e80-c060-4c35-81ff-da09d361fc95.jpg

147,000 miles?! Shoot! It's just getting broken in! My 1998 Buick is the young'un of the family with 154,000 miles. The hubby's Chevy cargo van rolled over the odometer for the third time. . .over 350,000 miles now and still going (barely!).

My cache mobil and also my personal TB is this ´90 Jeep Cherokee.

e56987ad-839a-4082-814c-5f1df8bee257.jpg

Booya! Nice ride!

Here's my 2000 Jeep Cherokee, currently at 95,000 miles.

IMG_3224.jpg

And here it is on the way to the Offroad Adventure Cache.

offroad4.jpg

Here's a video clip of it in shake & bake mode.

My alternate cachemobile is my Giant Rincon SE with handlebar-mounted Garmin eTrex.

Looks like we need to start a Geocaching XJ Club.

Heres mine

0a1e551a-993d-49f2-a8f3-652d30ce5614.jpg

To add to the XJ's here, no pics, but we have 2- 2000 Jeep XJ's (Cherokee). So I guess it would either be my XJ with 110,000 miles or the wifes with 95,000 miles. I gotta find me some of those offroad caches. Maybe this summer on vacation. :unsure: